Bdsimpson wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 6:27 AM

Very nice, love the color.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
RenateTritz wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 10:44 AM

mushmom:

Thanks to everyone for tips on using a contrast yarn for the facing.  While my main color looked really good with navy blue, I used black.  I have several black pants, dresses and shirts I could wear with this and only one navy blue item.  I started the contrast yarn on the row before the purl row so it makes a nice little edging on the border.  

I opted to make the border before the sleeves.  I would like to make them a bit longer than the pattern.  Now that the edging is done I can divide up the remaining yarn and see how far down the sleeves I can get without running out of yarn.

I am also using a contrast color for my borders and facing.  My border yarn is a DK weight.  I have finished the sleeves and used a size smaller needle for the facing, doing stockinette stitch to reduce bulk and make sure the facing fits nicely inside the sleeve.  I am ready to do the facing for the border and have a few questions.  I doubled the yarn for my last two rows  facing front ( a knit row and a purl row) and am ready to do the part that will be on the inside of the jacket.  Two questions please: I plan to use a single strand of yarn for the inside and again thought to use stockinette stitch.  Is it necessary for me to reduce my needle size or will doing so pull the front band inward?  Also I have not included buttonholes so in doing my inside facing I think I should reduce each even( not odd) row two stitches beginning after the corresponding increase on the right side.  Logically this seems correct to me  in order to keep the  corners mitered.  Is my thinking correct?  All opinions and advice are welcomed.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Sep 28, 2012 5:56 PM

Mushmom...beautiful!  Now I understand the reason for contrasting color...very nice effect.  Your border is terrific too.  I am still on the body.  When I am done work I just fall asleep.

I see Kathleen is putting a sock KAL out there.  Kathleen - what happened to your Pan Am?  Go ahead...you can tell us.  You're among friends! Angel

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Sep 28, 2012 6:01 PM

My Pan-Am is still in skeins. Sad, sad, sad! I just finished the tee I said I was going to finish before I started the Pan-Am, so you can see how behind I am!

All of yours are SO BEAUTIFUL, though. I'm so proud. Nicely done, folks.

Now vote in the sock KAL poll! We'll start it in a week or so, and I PROMISE I'll get at least one sock done. Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 12:19 PM

oh fine, a new knitalong - I'm still on the border of this one Big Smile and when we are working the perimeter of a sweater in a large size there is a lot of knitting. and knitting. and knitting. Huh?

i'll follow your sock knitalong Kathleen and maybe finish some second-socks in waiting from the sock book knitalong

the results of this knitalong are all so beautiful! i like how mine is turning out although the buttonholes are still a mystery Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 11:43 AM

The finished product after an exhaustive search for the perfect button.  I added 8-stitch underarm gussets and did the facings in a thinner yarn and 2 needle sizes down.  For me the body will need to be a little longer.  This one will be for my daughter.  Great fun, and thanks to everyone for all the help.

Can't wait to start the socks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 3:29 PM

Linda@46:

The finished product after an exhaustive search for the perfect button.  I added 8-stitch underarm gussets and did the facings in a thinner yarn and 2 needle sizes down.  For me the body will need to be a little longer.  This one will be for my daughter.  Great fun, and thanks to everyone for all the help.

Can't wait to start the socks.

This looks amazing.  Great job!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 6:02 PM

Your sweater really looks good, what size did you make?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 6:25 PM

I started out with 37 1/2 and quickly eased into size 40.  The sweater model has really long arms, but the sleeves fit my daughter perfectly.  They look a little short in the photo.  I think I'll make this sweater again, maybe in a medium charcoal.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 3, 2012 10:17 PM

I am currently working on the border and need help.   I do not understand the buttonholes.  I put the border onto two needles as counted.  When I work back and forth on needle #I  the increases occur on the bottom corners....that adds up to 4 stitches total increase (the directions say there should be 8)  where are the other 4??  Then you work on just the neck edge and increase two at each end - I think - so that is 4 there.   How do you put it all back together.  Are the buttonholes just slits left by working the neck edge by itself?  It is not making sense to me.

Why not just continue working in the round and do a bind of and cast on buttonhole?    Am I missing something in the directions?   Thanks in advance,  Mary Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 10:32 PM

MJSvenson@stny.rr.com:

I am currently working on the border and need help.   I do not understand the buttonholes.  I put the border onto two needles as counted.  When I work back and forth on needle #I  the increases occur on the bottom corners....that adds up to 4 stitches total increase (the directions say there should be 8)  where are the other 4??  Then you work on just the neck edge and increase two at each end - I think - so that is 4 there.   How do you put it all back together.  Are the buttonholes just slits left by working the neck edge by itself?  It is not making sense to me.

Why not just continue working in the round and do a bind of and cast on buttonhole?    Am I missing something in the directions?   Thanks in advance,  Mary Jane

Mary Jane, for the buttonholes, when the continuous border becomes separated, at the sides of the two pieces *vertical* slits are created - we don't see them as such until the border becomes continuous again. Believe me, it was an a-ha moment when I figured that one out. I would have liked to have had that explained in the instructions, or better yet, in a diagram!

There are 8 increases,  start the round with a M1, then work to the marker and M1, slip the marker, knit 1 - this ends that section - start in on the next section with a M1, work to the next marker, M1, slip the marker, knit 1, there are now 4 increases and you are halfway done the round - you do two increases for each of the 4 sections, one at each end.

Whew?! I hope that makes sense.

I discovered my tension is looser for the Roman Rib than for the chevron pattern, and I'm having to work less rounds/rows for the border and facing than in the instructions. I think it will work out...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 10:50 PM

MJSvenson@stny.rr.com:

You already got your answer, and it was not clear in the pattern, we struggled with that earlier in the forum.  The buttonholes (and there are two of them, one on each collar end) are simply the unjoined gap in Continous Border, when you work the collar edge seperately from the other 3 edges, then rejoin for buttonhole.  As I found later, the lining up of buttons to get a stand-up collar is pretty impossible with the buttonholes positioned as they are.  You could opt to make "normal" buttonholes in the border instead, if you wish!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 4, 2012 7:38 AM

Thanks for helpful replies since I am behind.... I think I'll rip back to the continuous border and put in regular buttonholes.  I can understand all the increases better that way and I can control the size of my buttonhole.  I am knitting it with a wool yarn that imitates mohair and I think I'll do the facing in a cotton chenille for comfort.  when I ever get it finished, if the blog is still in existence, I'll post a picture since it will look quite different.  Hopefully in a good way :)  Mary Jane

Not Ranked
Posts 4
wall5 wrote
on Oct 4, 2012 11:45 AM

Mine is still in cakes too.  I needed to finish my Knit Swirl before starting.  At least I'm not the only one not started yet.  Probably next week!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Cordelaine wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 4:39 PM

I really enjoyed taking part in this KAL.  It was really neat to make knitting at home a community project rather than an individual task.  Although I lurked on this thread I wanted to let everyone know how much I enjoyed and looked forward to seeing their posts.

My jacket finally finished drying which took days for some reason.  As mentioned before, I decide to do the border facing in a different colour because I love colours.  I also used a leaf button which made me think of the pin from Lord of the Rings that the Hobbits get from Lady Galadriel.  I thought a leaf green coat could use a leaf button (you can tell I decided on a different coloured facing after I started knitting).  Anyways, here's the finished product.

Page 65 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  63 64 65 66 67  Next >  ... Last » | RSS