After finishing my jacket and making the facing of the border with the same number of rows as the border itself, I wondered if the problems with it not standing up for others had something to do with following the directions. The directions for the facing do not have you make the facing as deep as the border itself but instead have you only make the facing roughly half as deep as the border. This would make the outer or top part of the border heavier than the lower part, making it hard for the lower part to support the outer part. Hope that makes sense!
My solution to the sleeves was to knit them both at the same time on straight needles and then sew up the under arm seam... I actually crocheted a couple of rows to add some width to them. I also knitted the sleeves longer and didn't face the cuffs... I'm actually going to fold them back up.
And as for the collar I used Giant snaps with a loop and a decorative button But I think I'll just but it on and off over my head as the snaps are so tight it's almost impossible to undo them withou breaking a nail! My facing is the same depth as my front.
Where are the instructions for uploading a picture?
Thank u for the suggestions for the hole in the armpit. I'll search for answers in the posts or maybe I'll cheat and try to stitch it up somehow. Another reason I'm so frustrated with this pattern. U follow exactly what it says and nothing turns out like it's supposed to. Ugh!
BritishLass:...or ignore the instruction and only do 6?
I've done needle 2 while I tried to figure this out, but still stumped!
I think the instructions need a re-write! When I pay for a pattern, I expect it to be better than this, boohoo. Anyway, follow your hunch, it is only 6, because you are only doing 3 sets of increases for that bit.
FINALLY FINISHED. I love the finished jacket.
I too finally finished. It was a long project, but now it is ready to travel to Florida to be my "winter coat". I knit the facings with a cotton chenille as I liked the contrast color someone else had done. Also it will be more comfortable on my neck and wrists. I used a wool/mohair imitation so it is somewhat fuzzy and I thought it might look huge in the pattern, but it doesn't and fits great. I died an old celluloid button so I would have the right color. Very glad it is finished!
Have been trying to get in the swing of this pattern since I got my copy of the magazine!!!!!!! Can't seem to get the rhythm. Had almost given up when this appeared. Hopefully there will be helpful info to read. It's meant for my daughter's 50th b'day coming up in July. Maybe, I'll make it in time fore the New England cold.
I'm happy to see someone else is still working on this. Mine is just past the armholes (front and back joined), I hope it's done by fall in Wisconsin. Maybe we can revive the KAL. I know the posts from last year were very helpful.