THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 11
CarlineNM wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 4:10 AM

Hi Britishlass,

After finishing my jacket and making the facing of the border with the same number of rows as the border itself, I wondered if the problems with it not standing up for others had something to do with following the directions. The directions for the facing do not have you make the facing as deep as the border itself but instead have you only make the facing roughly half as deep as the border. This would make the outer or top part of the border heavier than the lower part, making it  hard for the lower part to support the outer part. Hope that makes sense!

Carline

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Islandgilr wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 6:19 AM

My solution to the sleeves was to knit them both at the same time on straight needles and then sew up the under arm seam... I actually crocheted a couple of rows to add some width to them.  I also knitted the sleeves longer and didn't face the cuffs... I'm actually going to fold them back up.

And as for the collar I used Giant snaps  with a loop and a decorative button  But I think I'll just but it on and off over my head as the snaps are so tight it's almost impossible to undo them withou breaking a nail!  My facing is the same depth as my front.

Where are the instructions for uploading a picture?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 9:33 AM

Thank u for the suggestions for the hole in the armpit.  I'll search for answers in the posts or maybe I'll cheat and try to stitch it up somehow.  Another reason I'm so frustrated with this pattern.  U follow exactly what it says and nothing turns out like it's supposed to.  Ugh!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 5:44 PM
You are so right bessT, there is a lot more to getting the collar how you want it than just where the buttonholes are. I didn't quite have the courage of my convictions, so have just decided to place the buttonholes earlier in the continuous border (after row 4). And now I see the problem with the buttonhole rows. If only the designer had said where the markers were meant to be! I have written out the rows of the border and they match what I have on my needles, which for needle 1 is 1 stitch, marker, lots of stitches The problem now being that the instructions have you knit, m1, knit to first marker, m1 again. So do I m2 before first marker in order to get the specified 8 increases, or ignore the instruction and only do 6? I've done needle 2 while I tried to figure this out, but still stumped!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 5:59 PM

BritishLass:
...or ignore the instruction and only do 6? I've done needle 2 while I tried to figure this out, but still stumped!

I think the instructions need a re-write! When I pay for a pattern, I expect it to be better than this, boohoo. Anyway, follow your hunch, it is only 6, because you are only doing 3 sets of increases for that bit.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
BritishLass wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 1:45 PM
Thanks bessT. I agree it is disappointing, I struggle to believe this pattern could ever have been test knit, or these sorts of issues would have been spotted and addressed. But does Interweave really publish patterns that haven't been test knit? I'm not impressed with them as much as with the designer (because she did design a really cool jacket that I love!).
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 25, 2012 6:28 AM
Hello! I am promoting this website " http://.hubbardexteriors.com." Feel free to see it. Thanks
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joanne@95 wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 11:00 AM

FINALLY FINISHED. I love the finished jacket. 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Dec 28, 2012 4:14 PM

I too finally finished.  It was a long project, but now it is ready to travel to Florida to be my "winter coat". I knit the facings with a cotton chenille as I liked the contrast color someone else had done.  Also it will be more comfortable on my neck and wrists.  I used a wool/mohair imitation so it is somewhat fuzzy and I thought it might look huge in the pattern, but it doesn't and fits great.  I died an old celluloid button so I would have the right color.  Very glad it is finished!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
misswillie wrote
on Jun 15, 2013 5:21 AM

Have been trying to get in the swing of this pattern since I got my copy of the magazine!!!!!!! Can't seem to get the rhythm. Had almost given up when this appeared. Hopefully there will be helpful info to read. It's meant for my daughter's 50th b'day coming up in July. Maybe, I'll make it in time fore the New England cold. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cherylk8 wrote
on Jun 15, 2013 12:27 PM

I'm happy to see someone else is still working on this. Mine is just past the armholes (front and back joined), I hope it's done by fall in Wisconsin. Maybe we can revive the KAL. I know the posts from last year were very helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JLS33617 wrote
on Jun 21, 2013 2:39 PM

AdeleDS, your posts are so very helpful.  Thank you!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 82
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 28, 2013 2:57 PM

Hi...this is Chris...I put mine away for a few months...almost have the body done; after starting over and over last July and August, I FINALLY got it!  I had to blow up each chart and put it in a ring binder...that way I could keep flipping back and forth across the sweater...it was challenging.  But now I have dropped it for so long, I know I am going to spend time again reacquainting myself with it.  I will pick it up and try to finish in time for Stitches East (November).  Happy knitting.  I will check back for questions. Wink

Page 68 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  64 65 66 67 68 | RSS