THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 11:34 AM

as you know,I have been focused on beginning and not sleeve divide.  beginning is fixed so will look at sleeves tonight.  i wonder if you could add a half gusset to give more room but not disrupt pattern?  sounds like if the sleeves get bigger, so does the circumference.  thanks for sharing this.  the designer replied to me thru Ravelry and told her the immediate question had been answered  .

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 11:43 AM

Redbug:

Hope this clears this up for you.

It does! Thank you so much, Candy. I'm so excited to finally start the project!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 11:50 AM

Can I just say... it's KILLING ME that my magazine and yarn hasn't arrived yet. I want to jump in with all of you and I may have to wait until the 25th for everything to arrive. *sob*

Thank you all for the great posts about figuring out the selvage/extra stitches, etc. By the time everything arrives you ladies will have worked out all the bugs and I'll knit it all up like it's nothing. Thanks! Wink

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 11:53 AM

Diana Jo,

Appreciate the sleeve gusset suggestion.  I really think the 9 3/4" diameter will be too tight on my upper arm.  I've never made a gusset before so if any one has an suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks,

Candy

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KnitterJayne wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 12:19 PM

Lessons of blocking!  I blocked my two swatches (4 mm and 5 mm) and now I'm back to my needles for 4.5, the 5mm was too big.  (It especially showed up when I added the border to look at the colour options, the ribbing was loose).

but, the contrast border looks quite nice, so I think I'll go with cream coloured body and black border and cuffs. 

I'm also interested in the gusset option, I am making a larger size, but I think the upper sleeve may be a big snug on me too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 12:31 PM

I'm with you Meaghan.  Am also still waiting for my magazine and my yarn to arrive.  Hope they get here soon!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
arao wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 1:15 PM

Hi All -- I'm the designer of the Pam Am, and I'm so excited that it was chosen for this KAL!  I heard from a few of you on Ravelry about the discrepancy between the written pattern and the charts, and wanted to try to clear up the confusion.

Candy's solution (and Kathleen's stitch division of the 70 CO sts) is exactly right.  The selvedge stitch is not shown as a special stitch on the charts, but is included there.  Another tip on the various sizes and overlapping lines-- the yellow bar at the top of the LH/RH charts shows the CO sts for all sizes except the 33-1/2".  As the shaping continues, the smaller sizes (37-1/2, 40, 44-3/4) branch off of the 50-1/2" (pink-purple) line.

Hope this helps! Many thanks to the resourceful knitters who worked this out themselves and shared the solutions with the KAL!

Ashley Rao

Not Ranked
Posts 12
ToniN wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 2:04 PM

Hi fellow knitters:  My name is Toni and I'm in Colorado just a few miles down the road from Interweave headquarters.  This is a great project for joining a KAL since it seems a bit tricky as well as being a beautiful design.  I stayed up late last night looking at yarn options, and finally ordered my yarn after midnight - got a little brave ordering an orange shade - of Ella Rae Extra Fine Heathers (100% wool).  I've been knitting all my life and have tackled lace charts and even delved into 1920's patterns for beaded purses.  This pattern does seem confusing, but I'm hoping that with the help already given here and yarn cast on it will become clear.  Here's my yarn - now I just have to wait!  Think the color will work?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 2:43 PM

Of course it will!  I have had the magazine and I also put a moratorium on buying new yarn.  I will try Cascade Bollicine from my stash, 100% merino, and it is just a couple shades softer than yours, a salmon color.  I love the orange hues that are hot right now, and I think your color will show up the stitch definition beautifully.  I have just reviewed everyone's comments and they are very helpful.  As I was downloading the charts I began to have second thoughts, but I will give it a go.  Good Luck Everyone.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SMSANTIAGO wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 3:22 PM

I've been wqnting to make this, so happy to have help along the way.  I have some fiber (Romney) that I am spinning now for my Pan-Am.  Teal/gray/blue.  I will ply the singles together and should have a worsted weight.  This is epic for me to spin with such a big project in mind.  Wish me luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
blue-jean wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 5:27 PM

What do you think about Rowan Denim for this project? Can you tell me how many balls are needed for a size 37 1/2? i haven't found my magazine yet! Thanks!

~jean

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cazknits wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 5:30 PM

Ok, I've done the first two rows, and so far so good. I printed out the charts and stapled them in order as another knitter suggested. I think this is going to help. I was really intimidated and considered bailing out on this project, but I think it's doable provided I take it slowly. Once you get those first two rows in, it's easier to see how everything fits together.

I have the same concern about the sleeve circumference. I'm making the 37 and 1/2, but I have larger upper arms. I measured and they are 12". So, I'm either going to add the extra stitches or make a gusset; I have never made a gusset, so I'll wait to hear about this from the more experienced amongst you. Several people on ravelry just picked up a few extra stitches under the arm, and this seemed to work for them. No reports of resulting wonkiness.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
blue-jean wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 5:48 PM

how do you like the yarn you chose? i'm thinking of ordering it myself, in THAT color! please tell me a little about it if you don't mind.  :)

~jean

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cazknits wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 5:55 PM

Redbug:

I had concerns about the upper arms of this jacket looking tight on the model in the picture.  My upper arms are a bit large so I was concerned about them fitting comfortably.  I contacted the designer through Ravelery to ask about this.  I also asked when to start the shaping chart.  I am including my question to her and her response.

Soooo, now I have to decide what to do.  I took upon myself to add 2 stitches on each side of the sleeves on row 7.  I could rip back to there and just forget about extra stitches altogether, or do as the designer explains and add them throughout to keep the pattern in sync, or make a bigger size.  Have to think on that for a while.  

Let me know what you decide to do about this. I'm facing the same issue. If you add extra sleeve and body stitches as the designer suggests, then how exactly do you work them into the pattern? How many should you add in order to stay in keeping with the pattern?

I don't want to knit a bigger size because I'm afraid that the sweater will then become too big and flouncy. I'm not that big on top but I have bigger upper arms, measuring in at a whopping 12". Guess I should stop weight training.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Maggie@54 wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 8:53 PM

HUM,  Ashley,   what do you mean by LH and RH... left and right what....?  Thanks so muchBig Smile

Page 5 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS