THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 8:57 PM

I put gussets or half gussets in almost all of my sweaters.  I will try to help with a gusset if you'd like.   So are you there yet, you speedy knitter Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KnitterJayne wrote
on Jun 19, 2012 9:30 PM

well, more swatches and more stash hunting, and I changed my mind, I'm using KnitPicks Full Circle Worsted, it has a bit more fullness but not so much that the chevron pattern is lost.  And I'm not generally one for 'purple', but this one caught my eye.  Onwards! 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
ToniN wrote
on Jun 20, 2012 12:03 AM

Hi Jean:  Not sure if you are referring to my post of the orange yarn, but if so I can't say much because it hasn't arrived yet!  I am anxiously awaiting its arrival - very good prices on this yarn on Webs.  --  Toni

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 20, 2012 10:11 AM

Love the deep purples and orange colors.  I have 10 balls of an orange that I wanted to use, but not enough yardage to do it so had to order and then decided on a sage green color.  Hope it arrives soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am aching to get started!  I also will need help when we get to the arms as mine measure  12 and 3/4,  so much for carrying feed bags for the animals.  Here is my new color

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KathyAF wrote
on Jun 20, 2012 11:05 AM

I've knit with Sierra before and love it!  Got me thinking maybe I should use it again.  Great color - should be beautiful!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 81
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 20, 2012 11:21 AM

Hi Jean -- In case you decide to go with the Rowan denim, you would need 16 balls for 37 1/2.  The prescribed yarn is 100 yards per ball; Rowan denim is 102 yards per ball.  So I think 16 would be the number.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 20, 2012 6:19 PM

I have decided to just stick with the original size I was making, 37 1/2, because I think the majority of the measurements will work out better than going up a size.  It's the narrow upper sleeve that concerns me. I will try the half gusset when I get there.  So I've ripped out what I had done to remove the extra sleeve stitches I added and plan to follow the pattern.  When I get to the sleeves and gussets I'll probably be looking for advice.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
blue-jean wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 4:26 PM

Smile So excited! Just ordered Tosh Vintage in Opaline!  Found my magazine too! Can't wait for delivery!

~jean

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 5:29 PM

Re-starting for the gazillionth fifth time, after deciding I didn't like the way I was doing the "Make 1"s. Do you think we are supposed to be using the directions for the lifted increases (on the same page as the sleeve chart) for our Make 1? Is that what you're doing? I was making 1 the old-fashioned way, by knitting (or purling) into the front and back of the stitch.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
gumbiecat wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 6:01 PM

When I made my sample, I did the increases/decreases following the pattern, and I was getting holes.  That's when I decided to do it the "old-fashioned" way.   I'm progressing slowly, but enjoying the knit!! 

Judy in SE Wisconsin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 6:34 PM

AdeleDS,

I agree and will do my Make1 the old fashioned way.  This is my first top down garment and my first all in one piece project so I am having trouble keeping track of the stitches so have come up with a way to visually keep me on track by labeling the stitches--at least until I get used to the pattern and this way of knitting.  Took a couple of pics to show you--now don't laugh! you were a beginner once too!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 6:41 PM

Redbug,

I think we are all concerned about the sleeves and their small size, but hopefully we will make it and have them come out great.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 81
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 7:02 PM

We can forget the sleeves and do the Pan Am Vest! 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lindasma wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 7:41 PM

Hi All! I’m a quasi-newbie to knitting – I learned the basics many years ago, but only started knitting in earnest the last couple years. I’m excited to participate in my first KAL with the Pan Am Jacket. Other than socks, most of my knitting projects have been flat pieces (dishcloths, prayer shawls, lap blankets and afghans.)

I ordered my magazine, bought my yarn (Brown Sheep’s Cotton Fleece in Provincial Rose), completed my swatch, purchased the right size needles, and was really hoping to get started on the jacket this week. I just found out, however, that my magazine probably won’t be here until next Monday – BIG BUMMER!!!

I know I should probably wait for the instructions to arrive, but once I’ve decided on a project I’m afraid I’m not very patient. I REALLY hate to waste another weekend. After viewing the charts and using Kathleenster’s math for the 37.5”, I think I’ll need to cast on 72 stitches for my 50.5” size (looks like only one additional stitch for the left and right fronts). Is this correct? Also, if it isn’t against “the rules” (copyright or whatever laws govern these things), can someone explain how to handle the raglan stitches between pattern parts. If the sleeves aren’t scheduled until August/September, are these stitches put on stitch holders? If so, when?

Sorry to jump in with so many questions. Hopefully, things will be clearer once I actually get going on this. Thanks!

Lori in ETenn.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 21, 2012 9:27 PM

I've ripped back to the beginning too to remove those extra sleeve stitches I put in and do a nicer job on increases, since there are so many of them.  I'm now back to where I was a couple days ago.Wink But it was easier the second time around.  I'm doing make1 increases with right or left slant in this manner:

Make 1 knit, right slant:  lift bar onto left needle front to back, knit strand through front

Make 1 knit, left slant:  lift bar onto left needle front to back, knit strand through back

Make 1 purl, right slant: lift bar onto left needle back to front, purl strand through front

Make 1 purl, left slant: lift bar onto left needle front to back, purl strand though back 

Page 6 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS