THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 52
moonquilter wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 10:24 PM

I've spent over 5 hours on this today and still not happy.  After so many redos, I'm getting used to the charts and patterns, but not pleased with my results.  I'm still making mistakes.  I've never been so frustrated with a pattern.  I'm taking a breather for a while and see how everyone else is doing.

I wonder if it is worth the time for me to continue.  I could have had half of my tank top I'm knitting done by now.

Doing the swatch was fun, but the increases aren't  looking good, most are leaving too large a hole even when I do it M1 with the twist...I've tried all the ones in my books.

I sure hope it is easier for everyone else.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2012 11:06 PM

Hi Scarlett1063, 

I like the way you put it - the yarn was "waiting" in your wardrobe.  I happen to know exactly the yarn you described.  Loved it when I first saw it too.  I think using your light grey with tiny dark spots yarn should lend itself nicely to the jacket.  Happy knitting.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rmyers wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 1:20 AM

The KnitPicks 'Dove Heather' looks beautiful, Michelle!  Let us know how you like it.

I just received the KAL invitation in today's 'Knitting Daily' email, and thought it would be fun to join, as I voted for this pattern, too!  I already bought the pattern and printed it out.  This will be my first KAL, and I haven't decided on yarn yet. 

I'm also interested to hear how Shelby likes the Crestone 'Granite', as I have that in my shopping cart right now.  I looked at all the finished projects on Ravelry tonight, for ideas, too, and bought a couple of wooden buttons on eBay (but I won't decide on which to use til later.)

Thanks,

Becky

Not Ranked
Posts 9
kathleenster wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 6:10 AM

The best advise I know for the pattern, is that everything is none is rows of 4.  So I pick it up when I know I can do at least 4 rows.  Otherwise I knit something else.

Good Luck

Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 23, 2012 6:19 AM

I am also finding the pattern challenging.  I am having trouble following the yellow line.

The increase I am using is not leaving any holes. 

You can view a video here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/make-1-left-english 

There are examples of different increase methods here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

Hope things go more smoothly for you. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
DebraA@3 wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 6:20 AM
I love the pattern, but do you ever do KALs that have a pattern that is FREE?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 23, 2012 6:27 AM

My first Knitting Daily KAL! I usually avoid KALs because I have such a long list of projects, however, I love this pattern, having been looking at Vintage knitting books lately.

I downloaded the pattern tonight (it really is night where I am here in northern Idaho, just across the river from Spokane). Since I am visiting my family here, my stash yarn is not available, so may not start knitting until I get home to Wisconsin next month. This will be tough. There are stores here that can feed my habit quite well!

Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Helle (GracieB on Ravelry)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 23, 2012 6:56 AM

Don't feel alone!  I worked on it a long time last night and it still isn't right.  Don't give up though, I think once the pattern comes thru you will see it and know when you mad a mistake.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CheriW wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 7:59 AM

Kathleen -

I've never participated in a KAL, and would love to do this one - I LOVE this sweater!  However, I can't seem to 'log on" to the forum - the website does not prompt me to do anything once I have signed-in.  I sent an email to Interweave, but probably won't hear from them until Monday (the 25th).

thanks,

cheri w.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
csiedell wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 8:13 AM

So happy to find that Interweave issue in my magazine stash Big Smile--so I'm off to two local knit shops to find yarn. Hoping to do it in turquoise like another poster mentioned.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
tearup wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 8:57 AM

Just now read your post for this project. I'll download it today and would like to use a DK weight  in a

red color. This will be my first time group knitting on line and can't wait to join in.e

Pauline(tearup)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 9:05 AM

I'm really excited about this KAL, my first after years and years of knitting.  Love the design and decided to vote on it since I skimmed over the directions and was a little intimidated.  Off to my stash to find yarn and to swatch.  Linda in DE

Not Ranked
Posts 4
lmseifried wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 9:31 AM

I have the pattern from the Winter 2011 Interweave Knits magazine. The beautiful sweater caught my eye immediately and it is a perfect style for me. The Christmas present yarn, Crestone Mountaintop, is a different color than shown, but very appealing. . I have started it, but I must say that it is much more difficult than an intermediate level and I have been knitting for over 30 years. My approach is: blow up the charts and label them, then put them side by side on a large surface (like the kitchen table), so you can follow each segment as you knit the rows. A second copy of the raglan sleeve would avoid moving the chart sequence with each row. Avoid distractions like TV, a chatty knitting group, etc. ;) It will be fun to see what we all accomplish. Let the game begin!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
MichelleR wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 9:44 AM

rmyers:
The KnitPicks 'Dove Heather' looks beautiful, Michelle!  Let us know how you like it.

Thanks Becky, it does look nice but to be honest I'm a little disappointed with it because it is not keeping it's twist very well and it difficult to pick up all the strands together. I did my swatch in pattern with the size 6 needles and got a 3" square instead of a 4" so I will have to go up in needle size. I did not block the swatch for two reasons 1) the stretched out pattern doesn't look as nice and 2) I don't want to have to block the sweater every time I wash it just so it will be large enough to wear.

I am also having problems printing out the enlarged charts, I went to the link but they are printing out the same size as the original charts and I think I have tried everything to adjust the size on the printer but it just isn't working for me. The grey and white blocks on the original size charts are just too hard for me to distinguish, strains my eyes and I'm not sure what else to do, any suggestions would be welcome.

Michelle R

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joanne@95 wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 9:45 AM

So glad to join this KAL. I just love this pattern. I selected Berroco Vintage in a teal heather shade. I did my swatch yesterday and am readly to cast on today. I have been busy reading all the posts and know I will enjoy being part of this KAL for the Pan Am Jacket.

Page 11 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS