THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
lmseifried wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:03 AM

I have the pattern from the Winter 2011 Interweave Knits magazine. The beautiful sweater caught my eye immediately and it is a perfect style for me. The Christmas present yarn, Crestone Mountaintop, is a different color than shown, but very appealing. . I have started it, but I must say that it is more difficult than an intermediate level and I have been knitting for over 30 years. My approach is: blow up the charts and label them, then put them side by side on a large surface (like the kitchen table), so you can follow each segment as you knit the rows. A second copy of the raglan sleeve would avoid moving the chart sequence with each row. Avoid distractions like TV, a chatty knitting group, etc. ;) It will be fun to see what we all accomplish. Let the game begin!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi everyone.  Some suggestions that helped me: 1)  I downloaded the PDF files and went to FedEx/Kinkos on line and ordered color copies of each.  Picked them up in the store - MUCH easier to follow than black and white and the size is fine - enlarging too much seems to make it worse because you can't see the "rhythm" of the pattern very well.   You can then take a pencil or pen and trace the line that you are using - I find the pink and red are difficult to distinguish unless I'm in very bright light.  It helps to start at the top of the pattern and trace downward.  2) highlighter tape makes everything much easier.  Put it above the row you are working on so you can see the bottom of the chart and read your knitting.  I actually move it up 2 rows at a time because the wrong side row is always a repeat of the right side row and I can read my knitting instead of the chart.  The only thing I need to know from the chart is what to do with the M1 stitch.  3) I am using Elizabeth Zimmerman's suggestion for M1 - the backwards loop method.  She says it's the most invisibile and I agree.  If you are getting a hole it may be because when you come back on the wrong side, the stitch looks twisted.  You still want to knit into the front of the stitch - don't "untwist" by knitting into the back.  The other possibility is that when you make the backwards loop the yarn needs to be in the back - as if you are knitting.  Make the loop and then bring the yarn forward as if to purl.  4) See if you can find the rhythm of the pattern rather than looking at each stitch.  For example, on row 41 the rhythm is double, double, double, 3, double, double double 3.  This is the same rhythm as row 9 and 33. I find it easier to find the rhythm now that I am in the longer rows.  Of course, the pattern is in groups of 4 so you can read your knitting instead of the chart after you get "row 1" done.  You only need to consult the chart to see if you need to make any stitch on the ends. 5) those of you who do lace knitting probably already know that reading the chart backwards on the first wrong side row allows you to make sure you did not make a mistake on the right side row - and fix it without ripping.  This seems to be important on row 2 of the group of 4 rows.  row 1 of the group is a shifting row and you will have knit over knit, knit over purl, purl over purl, purl over knit, etc.  If i'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be in the first row of the group.  On row 2 I can double check myself and make a correction if I need to - without ripping.  Then row 3 and row 4 are smooth sailing.  I am almost ready to separate for the sleeves and I'm finding the pattern to be enjoyable.  (stapled the sheets in order and flipping through them).  I'm having to rely less and less on the pattern as I go along.  So persevere, and you will hopefully start enjoying yourself! 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:51 AM

Diana Jo,

Great progress!  Let us know how working the stitches at the join goes.

Candy 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
DMAllen wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:58 AM

Thanks, Kathleen, for doing the PanAm KAL---I have been wanting to do this cardigan from the time I saw it in my Interweave Knits W2011---it looks like it is going to be complicated and I am so glad I won't have to do it alone! Thanks for the larger versions of the charts---that will help. I am choosing a sport weight Saxon wool yarn from Catskill Merino Sheep Farm in New York, color is a smokey blue (no name). The wool is labeled as a sport weight, but feels more medium than that---will know for sure when I swatch.

I noticed from reading the other entries that some have already cast on! Yikes! I am attending TKGA Knitting and Crochet Show next week-----I'm going to be getting a late start! ---story of my life! well, I can get the swatch done at least....

Dianne

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
DMAllen wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 11:02 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful tips......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
DMAllen wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 11:04 AM

pretty!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Anne Guyton wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 11:31 AM

Hi!  I participated in the Bella Blouse KAL last summer and so much enjoyed it.  I learned alot from everyone's experience and have been following this KAL as well.  I haven't decided to jump in yet as I am in the middle of 2 other projects, including the Dahlia Cardigan which is time-consuming.

My question for all the experienced knitters out there is  > Would a 100% cotton yarn work for this pattern.  I have some Karabella Zodiac in my stash that looks like it could work gauge-wise.  I am just wondering if it would drape or hang appropriately?  Thanks!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
moonquilter wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 11:43 AM

Thanks for the advice...the videos are helpful too...do you just use one M1 version and not worry about whether it goes right or left? I know to do a M1 P and a M1 K.  

What I'm trying to say is on the M1K, if I go "front to back" and knit in the front, for all M1K..will that be ok?  I was trying to figure out the slant for each increase and then do the proper one for that direction and it was driving me nuts...and of course they didn't all look good, because I'm sure I had the directions mixed up at times.

I'm sure I can get this straight...new day, fresh eyes..ha ha

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 11:59 AM

moonquilter:

Thanks for the advice...the videos are helpful too...do you just use one M1 version and not worry about whether it goes right or left? I know to do a M1 P and a M1 K.  

What I'm trying to say is on the M1K, if I go "front to back" and knit in the front, for all M1K..will that be ok?  I was trying to figure out the slant for each increase and then do the proper one for that direction and it was driving me nuts...and of course they didn't all look good, because I'm sure I had the directions mixed up at times.

By George, I think I've got it! Sixth time luckySmile

This time I'm doing the twisted increases described in Redbug's post, but I'm not making the adaptation for whether it goes right or left. Right now I don't see the difference. Later on I may regret this, but right now I'm fine with the way the pattern looks, and starting to enjoy knitting this.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 23, 2012 12:08 PM

[quote user="moonquilter"]

What I'm trying to say is on the M1K, if I go "front to back" and knit in the front, for all M1K..will that be ok? I was trying to figure out the slant for each increase and then do the proper one for that direction and it was driving me nuts...and of course they didn't all look good, because I'm sure I had the directions mixed up at times.

I have copied this from somewhere else on the site:

Make 1 knit, right slant: lift bar onto left needle front to back, knit strand through front

Make 1 knit, left slant: lift bar onto left needle front to back, knit strand through back

Make 1 purl, right slant: lift bar onto left needle back to front, purl strand through front

Make 1 purl, left slant: lift bar onto left needle front to back, purl strand though back

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 12:42 PM

It's been a very long time since joining a KAL here, but this pattern has been in my Ravelry queue since arriving in the magazine!

But I haven't decided on yarn, I have the following worsted in my stash that makes the yardage required. 3 are wool-cotton blends, the bright orchid is all cotton.  I'd love to do the darker, it has some charcoal/navy heathering, but would have to swatch to see if knit-purl pattern shows up.

I'm also thinking that following charts as massive as these is perhaps a bit much.  Intuitively, I think the chevrons will make sense once rolling, and so made a smaller chart of the basic pattern that is repeated.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
knitbynina wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 12:44 PM

Hi, PWAC Puppy Raiser!

I completed my Pan AM a while ago (posted on Ravelry under ninapknitts). When I saw the pattern was chosen for the KAL, I just had to watch the posts and see what choices everyone else made! It's so exciting how many ways there are to interpret this pattern. Yes, I thought of doing the border in another color, although I didn't on mine. What I'd really like to do if I make it again is to make it in black with a black border, and a two- or three-row strip of red on the facings inside. Only I would know it's there - but wouldn't it be pretty?   Nina

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lovethelake wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 12:48 PM

Hi,

How much did you enlarge them (150%, 200%.....)?

Thinking of running to the copy store and get the larger charts, then decide if this something I want to tackle.

Thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 23, 2012 1:23 PM

lovethelake wrote:

How much did you enlarge them (150%, 200%.....)?

Thinking of running to the copy store and get the larger charts, then decide if this something I want to tackle

After reading the enlarging advice, I printed out one of the graphs after selecting the option 'poster'. (sometimes this option is under the link 'properties' - 'advanced)   Each graph is printed out on 4 sheets so it is really big.  Worked very well.  You will have to tape them together but it will work.  I printed on draft to save ink and it is workable.

Good luck, Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 1
hbw2t wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 1:27 PM

Just bought my yarn - Berroco Ultra Alpaca in color 62178.    I need to finish another deadline project today, but I'm planning on swatching tonight or tomorrow.  Really excited about this!  I've also got the pattern and will print it out on Monday.  I'm glad people suggested printing and connecting - I've been trying to work online lately, but this pattern doesn't sound conducive to that!  Happy Knitting all!

Page 12 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS