THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Marliztay wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 2:52 PM

Hello All.  My first KAL.  My first reading extensive charts.  My first challenge project for the summer.  I try to challenge myself to learn something new each summer.  School finished yesterday (I'm an elementary library teacher).  I'm counting on, and appreciate everyone's help.  I downloaded the pattern last night.   Today I printed the enlarged charts, although I found they weren't much enlarged, but the colors came out a little sharper.  I'm going to order my yarn and will look forward to getting started.  I plan to knit this for one of my grown daughters who rides her bicycle around town just like the model.  When I do get the yarn and cast on, is there a recommendation for the type of cast on that looks best?  Thanks, Martha

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lovethelake wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 3:02 PM

Thank you for responding.  My printer is so basic, that I will have to take it some place to enlarge it.

So were your copies triple the original?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 23, 2012 3:03 PM

ok, here I go. I have never participated in a KAL. I am new to sweater knitting. I'm still trying to figure out where I find the chevron pattern to swatch. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I have the emag, I have the yarn, I have the needles. Now I need to swatch and I'm stuck. Help?

Pam

Not Ranked
Posts 2
knitrome wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 4:15 PM

Hello.

Does anyone has an easy swatch chart?  I am trying to make up one but with no much success.  How many stiches to cast on? and where to start? I am lost.  I found this beautiful Cascade 220 70% wool and 30% silk in a nice Peacock color. I want to swatch it to see if it will show the pattern deffinition like a 100% wool will.  Please help.

Thank you

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 4:54 PM

You can select any part of the charts to do your swatch.  Or here is what the basic pattern repeat is (18 st over 16 rows). Your swatch needs to be at least 4" square, so go beyond that for measurement. 2-3 repeats of this:

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SidnieK wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 6:15 PM

Hi,

I am very interested in doing this sweater too but have a simple question. Can anyone tell me how much yarn to get before i get my pattern. I'm ordering it but I want to go shopping for the yarn now.

thanks,

sidnie

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 6:54 PM

Here's a link to the pattern.  The pattern details tab has size and yarn requirements.

http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Patterns/Pan-Am-Jacket.html

Not Ranked
Posts 3
tearup wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 7:55 PM

I downloaded the pattern and will now look for a red yarn in my stash.I hope I'll

find some DK weight or light worsted.Did anyone answer the chart correction question? I really

hope the charts that I downloaded are the correct ones.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 8:52 PM

I'm very excited to do this KAL and was able to find yarn my stash!  Nashua's Isabella it's an aran weight with a fiber content of 57% wool, 33% silk and 10% rayon so it will not hold it's shape as well as 100% wool.  After swatching with a 4mm and 3.75mm decided to go with the smaller needle size (top part of my swatch).

Using my iPad along with a digital copy of the magazine.   The app Goodreader is wonderful to zoom in on the charts and mark them up along with adding notes.

So far all of your comments and suggestions have helped me so much to get organized and oriented in how to read the charts!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 9:27 PM

Moonquilter,

I agree that the pattern is a challenge.  I also must start over as I  am not happy with my results, but not tonight.  Tuesday is my day off and I will try to sit quietly and start again.  Once we get into it, hopefully we will see the light.  Right now I can't get there.  If anyone can give a stitch count on any row, it would be helpful.  Just let me know which size you are making, which row and how many stitches you have. I am off some how, but not sure where I went wrong.

Thanks for any help

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:06 PM

Artfulsoul,

Welcome back and thank you for the chevron pattern.  I will study this before I start again.  I know you will be a big help for the rest of us on this project.

Thank you again,

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bethanief wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:32 PM

Ok, I am going to order my yarn. So, I will be a tad behind. That stresses me out!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
pathildeb wrote
on Jun 23, 2012 10:51 PM

I think I'm in. Since there was nothing in my stash that was enough for this pattern, I seem to have had the adventure in just finding yarn. I kept finding yarn that was either wrong weight or not enough of the same dye lot. I found myself saying "okay get something, anything that there is enough of that is or goes with a color you generally wear and is not a solid color." When I finally found something and got it home it was not a good color choice for me and I didn't even swatch it before I was back to looking.

This time I went online and found something on sale that was more promising that my in person hunt. I wasn't sure when it would arrive and was reading how people were already knitting and started to wonder if I would have it in time to be anything other than hopelessly scrambling to catch up. Since one of my original problems was I kept liking yarns that were heavier, I decided to get an experimental skein of one of those and see what happened with one of those and started swatching with it. It would be possible to get the gauge (using smaller needles) but the pattern was lost. Just wait and see how things went.

My yarn came and although not really what I had expected it seemed usable. Before I had swatched there was all the talk about the sleeves. Measuring my arm by myself was not working as I got a different measurement every time! A little thought about the situation and I came up with the following that might help someone still wondering about the sleeves.

1. I swatched to get the right gauge.

2. I went to where the instructions give the knitting of the sleeve after dividing. We had already heard from the author that the sleeve was a tube at this point so I just used the selected size to determine how many stitches to cast on in the round.

3. Following the pattern (both the chart and the 4 divider sts) I knit a band a few inches wide.

4. I tried the band on and moved it up and down my arm. It was okay - the sleeve shouldn't be a problem for me.

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that the yarn is Lion Brand wool-ease in pines. It is navy, black and green but most of the time it looks navy. In bright sun the other colors do show up. I had wanted a subtle combination of colors and I definitely got it with this.

Balancing projects may get interesting as I seem to always be doing more than I really have time for and this is not a small project. We will see how long it takes me to catch up.

I'll cast on sometime tomorrow.

-Pat

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jun 23, 2012 11:46 PM

I'm so excited about this sweater (I voted for this one).  The wool I have ordered is Knit Picks GlossHW/ Aran - merino wool & silk in cranberry.  I can hardly wait for the wool to arrive so I can get started.  I am going to swatch and learn the pattern in the mean time.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kiheigirl wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 2:05 AM

I have been looking through my stash trying to find yarn of sufficient quantity and correct gauge.  I think I have found it - Airmix by Gedifra which is a merino wool(62%), cotton (30%) and polyamid (8%) blend in a beige colour.  I did the swatching tonight and have changed from using a 4mm circular needle to a 4.5 mm circular needle as my larger needle. 

I am apprehensive about how easy this KAL is going to be but I am looking forward to the group support as I encounter the tricky areas, especially in shaping.

Page 13 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  11 12 13 14 15  Next >  ... Last » | RSS