THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 13
jennimpeal wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 10:53 PM

I have the same question - what is everybody's favorite cast-on for  this?

Thanks, Jenni

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 11:14 PM

I'm using Vista which is identical to Crestone except solid.  Chose it with the hope that the pattern would show more.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 24, 2012 11:54 PM

Dianajoknits....this looks very good out of Vista...what needle size are you using?  Are you getting gauge? Lynne. aka imalulu

dianajoknits:

I'm using Vista which is identical to Crestone except solid.  Chose it with the hope that the pattern would show more.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:17 AM

Thanks so much for the chart, This is more diffucult than I thought.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:25 AM

jennimpeal:

Thanks, Jenni

For myself, I use my favorite long-tail caston in most situations, unless there is a need to do differently.  Because the caston edge will later be hidden in the pickup for Continuous Border, it is not too critical, I don't think?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:26 AM

I just hit row 31 and you are correct. Just slip the first stitch of every row no matter what type of stitch it is. Also, I'm doing my make 1s after the slipped stitch. Is anyone else doing that?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Shirleymk wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:31 AM

Hi, I am really excited by this pattern and feeling very intimidated by it.  I am now working on my swatch.  I hope I do not become frustrated and quit.  Hopefully, everyone replies will keep me going.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:39 AM

Thanks sooo much for the chart. It helped me make a gauge swatch quickly and found I needed to go up one needle size. My yarn is Berroco Ultra Alpaca in heathered dark gray. I'm making the smallest size as a store sample and a gift for my daughter. As we live in southern California, if it turns out a little on the "light" side that's just fine. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
alpacadero wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:52 AM

I love this pattern and bought the magazine when it came out because I really want to do this project. But, I'm an alpaca fanatic so I'm trying to figure out a good yarn substitute in alpaca. I'm considering using Cascade Eco Alpaca, which has a gauge of 5 sts=1" / #7 needles. Does this seem like a logical substitution before I go out and buy the yarn?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:55 AM

Adele, it's best if you do the increases as make 1 knit or make 1 purl. Another poster has listed the directions for all four ways to do them. The problem with knitting I front and back is that sometimes it can really mess up your stitch count. 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
cnmec1002 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:21 AM

I bought my yarn yesterday, Berroco Vintage Worsted, and planned to swatch today.  The color I chose has a slight "heather" look to it, but it should still have very good stitch definition, which I think will look nice with this pattern.

I am a loose knitter so will do my swatch on a size 5 needle.  I have completed two top down sweaters and that has helped me to understand this pattern.  I found the stitch counts right, but do find sorting the colors on the chart lines tough for my eyes!  I plan to enlarge the charts at Kinkos and have one clean and one working copy. 

I am going to use a long tail cast on as that is my "go to" cast on.  I saw that one person used Elizabeth Zimmerman's method for the M1 increases, I haven't yet looked to see what that is, but will look.  Has anyone found a M1 method for this sweater that they really like the look?  Having down top downs before the increase can really change the look of the "seam" line.  I want something that looks similar to what is shown in the magazine pictures. 

This is my first KAL and I am excited!  Any suggestions for using the forum posts?  There doesn't seem to be a search feature for  posts, but maybe I am just missing it?  I have saved some posts as favorites, but don't see a favorites list for me anywhere and the posts haven't appeared anywhere else.  What am I missing?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:09 AM

Since the Chevron pattern is a stretchy one, I went with a stretchy cast on and used the German cast on.  Michelle Hunter has a good video showing how to do it:

http://knitpurlhunter.com/blog/?p=142

She also has good instructuions with video for M1 both purl and knit:

http://knitpurlhunter.com/blog/?p=978

http://knitpurlhunter.com/blog/?p=236

Here is the progress of my sweater so far up to row 16 - I'm using Isabella (57%wool, 33%silk, 10%rayon) and it seems flatter than others using 100% wool:

I would not have been able to figure out how to knit this sweater and navigate through the charts without the help of everyone on this KAL!  Thank you, thank you for the encouraging comments!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:22 AM

THANK YOU ArtfulSoul for posting the chart of stitches. I'm still waiting for my magazine to arrive and was getting desperate to at least swatch to keep up with all of you. So, I've been able to swatch the initial piece. Good and bad have come of it.

The Good:

I LOVE the yarn - it's soft and clean and the pattern shows up beautifully!

The Bad: 

My gauge is a little too big so I have to order a size 5 needle, re-swatch, and then start. So, by the time the needles arrive I will be juuuuuust squeaking in under the deadline of June 29th to have completed the swatch. But then I'll be ready to go-go-go as I have no weddings in July (I'm  wedding planner by trade).

More Good:

What I have learned, though, is that the pattern is quite easy to see once you start it so once I get the full pattern and read through it I should be in a good place to catch up. Kudo's to everyone who has figured out all the little stumbling blocks for us. Can't wait to join you all in the knitting of the jacket (not just the swatch). 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:27 AM

jennimpeal:

Thanks, Jenni

I used a non-stretchy cast-on because this is the neck edge, and I like my knitwear not to stretch too much at the edges (or at the seams, when there are any). Just a personal preference - as somebody else already said, it's going to be hidden by the continuous edge so it doesn't have to look pretty.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:27 AM

SoCalMeaghan:
My gauge is a little too big so I have to order a size 5 needle, re-swatch, and then start. So, by the time the needles arrive I will be juuuuuust squeaking in under the deadline of June 29th to have completed the swatch.

Your swatch looks like the yarn will make a wonderful Pan Am!  I haven't even started swatching yet, later this week I think. No one should panic over their own pace. This is supposed to be fun!

Page 16 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  14 15 16 17 18  Next >  ... Last » | RSS