THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:30 AM

Willyknit:

Here is the progress of my sweater so far up to row 16 - I'm using Isabella (57%wool, 33%silk, 10%rayon) and it seems flatter than others using 100% wool:

Love your color!  The pattern will reveal itself nicely by the end (it's just hard to judge when it's all scrunched up and only one repeat of the chevron)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Jag009 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 10:42 AM

Amen to that, sister!  I love it when my husband reminds me I am yelling at my knitting and says, "I thought you loved to knit because of the quiet and meditative qualities you receive when you are knitting...."  ha-ha!

Jane

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Ljdrew wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 11:52 AM

I think I have the perfect yarn in my stash. I bought it years ago when it was on sale somewhere (maybe elan.com?). Lang Time in a beautiful navy blue. I think this sweater will be kind of dressy in navy and I could really use it in my wardrobe. Very excited for this!

Oh, and thank you for picking a pattern that can be made for the bigger of us. Much appreciate. Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:06 PM

I'm using the recommended size - isn't a 6?  Getting guage so far.  Always a little nervous before the first "try on" which I will do tonight - just divided for the sleeves

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:18 PM

I don't think there is a search feature for the posts.  But, to "see" your favorites after you have saved favorite posts....go to your account....top right of the entire page where it says "Hello _______" with your signed in name in the blank.  You'll see your saved favorite posts on the left titled SHARED FAVORITES.  Hope this helps.  Lynne, aka imalulu

cnmec1002:

This is my first KAL and I am excited!  Any suggestions for using the forum posts?  There doesn't seem to be a search feature for  posts, but maybe I am just missing it?  I have saved some posts as favorites, but don't see a favorites list for me anywhere and the posts haven't appeared anywhere else.  What am I missing?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:25 PM

Or, I just discovered that you can click on your avatar (picture to left of the posts) or in your case it is a ball of yarn.   This will take you to your account page and your favorites. Also, FYI, under the avatar and under the number of posts you've written, if there is a little gray figure of a head and shoulders...that means that those people are currently on the KAL blog.  Lynne, aka imalulu

cnmec1002:

I have saved some posts as favorites, but don't see a favorites list for me anywhere and the posts haven't appeared anywhere else.  What am I missing?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JKBear wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 12:25 PM

Well, I finally am able to start this project. I am using some donated yarn, and hope it turns out well enough to sell at our knitter's auction (I eanted to knit the jacky for the challenge, but dont need another  jacket...).

Anyway, the yarn is an older Classic Elite 100% wool yarn (Boston?), in a nice neutral. My only concern is that it seems a little stiff. Will it loosen up? Or will the stiffness make a good structured jacket. Im a little concerned with that, but love how the pattern shows up.  The gauge is a little big with 6's, but I like the look of the pattern better than the smaller needles. So I'm making the smallest size, knowing that it will turn out bigger. And I'm not too concerned about final size because I don't know who it is for.

Thanks for the GoodReader suggestion - its making it easier to follow multiple charts. I am finding the rhythm of the pattern, now that I'm up to row 22 and not constantly adding stitches. I'm using the invisible "make one purl" from knittinghelp.com, and the similar "make one knit" from the back. The increases are almost invisible, and stay in pattern.

I appreciate all th questions and comments here - it really helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 2:12 PM

I'm ready to go!  I finialy started to get the chevron and my ball of yarn went awry.  I was able to coax out enough yarn to get a swatch to determine gauge.  On size 5 needles  my stitch count is right on the money, but my # of rows comes up a bit short.  I'm short, too, so I don't think it will matter.  Here's a pic of my swatch and yarn mess.  I'm using Pina from Miraso; it's 80% Baby Alpaca and 20% bamboo.  The color is Wisteria, but the photo doesn't do it justice.  Oops, I don't know how to post a picture! Better go back and read that tutorial again.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 2:52 PM

This will be my first Knitting Daily KAL. I've wanted to knit this pattern ever since I received my Winter 2011 issue of Interweave Knits.  I will be using  Schachenmayr SMC 'Northern Wool' in colorway 'Fawn.'   

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 2:52 PM

If any of you are iPad users, I strongly recommend checking out iAnnotate for reading the patterns digitally. I am able to set all of the pages up in order so I can flip from one to the next in order (similar to printing them out and taping them together). I can also enlarge each row, trace a heavier outline (I'm knitting 37 1/2" so the yellow disappears a lot behind the cyan or magenta lines) and I can cross out each row as I finish it. Just a tip for anyone struggling to read things... if you have an iPad of course. Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 25, 2012 3:37 PM

I'd like to join your knit-a-long.  Never have done this before, but when I saw the jacket in the magazine I marked it as something I would like to knit some day.  So, why not.  I have some yarn in my stash I think I'll try--Lion's Brand Fishermen's Wool in Oak Tweed.  Looks like I'll have to get some more needles, though.  Oh darn.

Looking forward to all your knitting insight.

Laurie 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 3:42 PM

Also, say you remember that MadameX posted a message you want to read but you can't remember when she posted it, you just bring up any message by MadameX and, underneath her avatar, click on the number of posts. That will bring up a list of every post MadameX has made, along with the first sentence or two. Click on an individual post and it will bring you to the original post.

imalulu:

Or, I just discovered that you can click on your avatar (picture to left of the posts) or in your case it is a ball of yarn.   This will take you to your account page and your favorites. Also, FYI, under the avatar and under the number of posts you've written, if there is a little gray figure of a head and shoulders...that means that those people are currently on the KAL blog.  Lynne, aka imalulu

cnmec1002:

I have saved some posts as favorites, but don't see a favorites list for me anywhere and the posts haven't appeared anywhere else.  What am I missing?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 4:13 PM

Ok... so I'm REALLY excited about this KAL so ignore my previous post about waiting for my size 5 needles to arrive. I'm going to knit on my 6's for now to see about getting some assistance for practice. When my 5's arrive I'll start the real project.

As this is my first top-down and first garment made, I'm a little confused about the verbiage. We have 5 charts (sleeve, left front, left back, right front and right back) that I understand. We then have the first two rows written out as well as charted (as far as I can tell). Are the first two rows that are written out meant to be INSTEAD of the first 2 rows charted, or in addition (i.e.: will basically repeat these two rows)?

And secondly, the shaping chart... what is the "raglan" referring to? Is this to the Left Front and Right Front charts? If so, how does this differ from the Front neck?

Is the "Center Back" shaping chart meant to be used in conjunction with the Left Back and Right Back charts? 

And last but not least... now that I've knitted on the first two rows... do I have to undo them and use the shaping chart for these two rows also? This is likely tied into the question regarding repeating rows 1 and 2 and I just hadn't put that all together. 

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I totally thought I was going to have this down by the time I got this point from all the wonderful feedback from everyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 4:18 PM

Thanks Adele, this is a great hint, too.  Do you, by any chance, remember how to change the order of the posts?  I am having a hard time when I log back on to the KAL, to find where I last left off.  I have learned, from the last KAL that I did, to read ALL the posts so as not to miss anything and also to solve questions that I may have before asking the group, so things aren't repeated over and over.  It takes a lot of time to read all the posts, but it's worth it.  Lynne, aka imalulu...still deciding on yarn and when to set aside my other knitting.  May swatch something in my stash tonight.

AdeleDS:

Also, say you remember that MadameX posted a message you want to read but you can't remember when she posted it, you just bring up any message by MadameX and, underneath her avatar, click on the number of posts. That will bring up a list of every post MadameX has made, along with the first sentence or two. Click on an individual post and it will bring you to the original post.

imalulu:

cnmec1002:

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 4:23 PM

I am dividing for the sleeves and come up with 1 stitch less for each half of the back.  the chart matches the knitting (42) . the pattern says 43.  im going with 42 (92 total).  anyone else have this problem?  i may add extra stitches at the underarm for the gusset.

Page 17 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next >  ... Last » | RSS