THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 4:42 PM

What size are you making?  I posed this question on the Pan Am pattern info page back on February 1st (with no answers from anyone), and I have not been able, yet, to see if this is still true.....

imalulu wrote
on Wed, Feb 1 2012 4:36 PM

It looks, to me, that there are still errors for size 44 3/4" on the corrected charts.  Row  27 doesn't show the inc every 4th row, then 2nd row as the corrections say, starting on row 21. 

Lynne, aka imalulu

dianajoknits:

I am dividing for the sleeves and come up with 1 stitch less for each half of the back.  the chart matches the knitting (42) . the pattern says 43.  im going with 42 (92 total).  anyone else have this problem?  i may add extra stitches at the underarm for the gusset.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jun 25, 2012 4:49 PM

alpacadero:

I love this pattern and bought the magazine when it came out because I really want to do this project. But, I'm an alpaca fanatic so I'm trying to figure out a good yarn substitute in alpaca. I'm considering using Cascade Eco Alpaca, which has a gauge of 5 sts=1" / #7 needles. Does this seem like a logical substitution before I go out and buy the yarn?

If you don't mind an alpaca blend, Berroco's Ultra Alpaca is a great yarn.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 5:15 PM

imalulu:

Do you, by any chance, remember how to change the order of the posts?

Yes. On the main blog page, if you are signed in you will find your username up at the very top right-hand side of your screen. Beside it, there are the words "Edit Profile". Click on that and you will go to your profile. Look at the top of the page and you will see three tabs. The second one is "Site Options". Click on that, and the very first drop-down box gives you a chance to choose the sort order for your messages. I always have it in "descending" order, which means the most recent postings come up on page 1.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 5:40 PM

SoCalMeaghan:

We have 5 charts (sleeve, left front, left back, right front and right back) that I understand. We then have the first two rows written out as well as charted (as far as I can tell). Are the first two rows that are written out meant to be INSTEAD of the first 2 rows charted, or in addition (i.e.: will basically repeat these two rows)?

And secondly, the shaping chart... what is the "raglan" referring to? Is this to the Left Front and Right Front charts? If so, how does this differ from the Front neck?

Is the "Center Back" shaping chart meant to be used in conjunction with the Left Back and Right Back charts? 

And last but not least... now that I've knitted on the first two rows... do I have to undo them and use the shaping chart for these two rows also? This is likely tied into the question regarding repeating rows 1 and 2 and I just hadn't put that all together.

1. The first two rows are the written-out-in-full versions of the first two rows of the charts. So when you've done the first two rows and you switch to the charts you will already be on Row 3. No rows are repeated.

2. The Front Neck shaping goes at the very beginning and very end of each row. Raglan shaping - If you think of the location of raglan sleeves on a sweater, that is where the raglan shaping goes - on either side of the sleeve. So the first stitch of the raglan shaping belongs to whatever chart you just finished and then you do the divider stitches and then there's another shaping stitch which is the first stitch of the next chart you will be following. The Center Back shaping is just that - the increases (or decreases) on the Left Back and Right Back charts, that happen on either side of the divider stitches.

3. Now that I've said all that - all the shaping stitches are included on the charts, so as far as I can see you can just follow the charts and ignore the whole Shaping Chart table, as it just tells you what is already on the charts.

4. You don't have to undo Rows 1 and 2 because there is no shaping on those rows. Shaping takes place on right-side rows only, and starts on Row 3.

Hope this helps.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 5:48 PM

AdeleDS:

3. Now that I've said all that - all the shaping stitches are included on the charts, so as far as I can see you can just follow the charts and ignore the whole Shaping Chart table, as it just tells you what is already on the charts.

4. You don't have to undo Rows 1 and 2 because there is no shaping on those rows. Shaping takes place on right-side rows only, and starts on Row 3.

Hope this helps.

AdeleDS - you are a life saver. Thank you so much for breaking this all down a little easier. The locations of the increases/shaping I'd figured out but not with the Row 1-2 repeat, etc. You've just solved all of my problems of knowing which way to increase (purl-wise or knit-wise) and my slow descent to madness as I tried to figure out a good way to manage iPad, magazine and yarn. Thank you a million times over!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CelticLady wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 6:19 PM

I am a little concerned since I have trouble reading charts and it keeps going from one the the other.  Is there a simple way to lay out the charts so that it is easier.  I also retyped the directions since I like them in very large print and found there is no BIND OFF listed.  I can assume when I am to do this but would rather not.  This the first time I have done something like this, knit along, and am looking forward to it.  I have knitted sweaters before but still consider myself an advanced beginner or intermediate.  Thanks.  Nancy Hill

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Joan Moreaux wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 6:34 PM

I, too. am confused with the pattern directions.  I knitted the first two rows and don't know where to go from there.   I am confused with the selvedge stitches and whether they appear on the graphs.  It seems difficult to try to follow all the charts. Do you have any idea of how to work with the charts.   Where do you go after knitting the first two rows.  I used my interchangable needles because they are much lighter as I progress. 

It is a wonderful pattern.  Getting started is confusing.  Thanks for your response.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 6:50 PM

AdeleDS:

1. The first two rows are the written-out-in-full versions of the first two rows of the charts. So when you've done the first two rows and you switch to the charts you will already be on Row 3. No rows are repeated.

2. The Front Neck shaping goes at the very beginning and very end of each row. Raglan shaping - If you think of the location of raglan sleeves on a sweater, that is where the raglan shaping goes - on either side of the sleeve. So the first stitch of the raglan shaping belongs to whatever chart you just finished and then you do the divider stitches and then there's another shaping stitch which is the first stitch of the next chart you will be following. The Center Back shaping is just that - the increases (or decreases) on the Left Back and Right Back charts, that happen on either side of the divider stitches.

Ok Adele DS - one more thing to clarify - per your notes above, we should be short one stitch before the first marker (i.e.: the chart for row 3 shows 4 stiches but we actually have 3 on the needle, then rm, then the 4th stitch goes after the rm. Is this correct? 

Likewise, we push a stitch into the back left section from the raglan section (i.e.: the chart for row 3 shows 11 stitches, but we only have 10 stitches between the rm and the cbm)?

Since the third row doesn't require a center back increase we do have the correct number of center stitches (i.e.: 15)?

This is what I end up with in the 3rd row (where "|" equals a stitch marker):

3 | 4 | 10 | 4 | 15 | 4 | 15 | 4 | 10 | 4 | 3 ...... (a total of 76 st's) 

I think I've still mis-read something. Any help you can offer? Thank you so much for your help and sorry to "nag". 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jemscreat wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 7:19 PM

I have decided to join the knit along, this is a first for me.  I have gotten some of the Interweave Knits and do like the patterns.   I have knitted for many years and am trying to use up some of my yarn collection.  I am going to use Tapestry from Elite yarn it is a mohair / wool mix in a turquise  color.  From knitting the guage the patter will show up very well.

Jenny

Not Ranked
Posts 1
chrrog13 wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 7:30 PM

I've also decided to join the knit along.  Not even sure how to post comment other than to reply to something already written.  This is a first knit along online for me.  I'm trying to decide between some cascade yarn I have.... either Cascade Rustic or cascade superwash wool.  I have enough of either to do the project.  If anyone can tell me if I'm posting correctly or what avenue I need to go through I sure would appreciate the info.  Also looking forward to working along with others on this project.

Christine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:00 PM

Likewise...thank you Adele DS ... I had all the identical questions Meaghan had and your summary makes me feel MUCH better! Geeked

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Marcy Cathey wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:14 PM

I am excited to be joining this Knit-Along as it is my first.  I choose a Hemp/Wool yarn for my jacket. I'm looking forward to getting started!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:19 PM

There are 10 stitch markers making up 5 pairs: 4 rm and 1 cbm. In between each pair of markers are 4 divider stitches - these stitches remain constant and do not increase and they do not appear on the charts. The stitches in between the pairs (2 markers and 4 stitches) match up to each one of the charts. Increases are made in pairs - 1 stitch increase right before the 1st marker and 1 stitch increase right after the 2nd marker. The left and right fronts are a pair - the first stitch increase is right after the slip stitch and the 2nd increase is right before the last stitch. Since the pairs (2 markers and 4 stitches) fall between the charts - the first stitch increase is on one chart and the second increase or pair to the first increase is on the next chart.

Hope this helps someone - or it may just be my own crazy interpretation Tongue Tied

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:21 PM

Is anyone using pure cotton?  Lynne, aka imalulu

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Redbug wrote
on Jun 25, 2012 8:32 PM

Diana Jo,

I wish I knew, but I'm not that far along yet so can't help.  Life keeps cutting into knitting time.Wink But please let us know how it goes. I'm especially interested to see if you put in the gusset for the underarm.  

Candy

Page 18 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS