THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:13 AM

Meaghan,

So glad you have finally started and are not having problems.  I will be restarting in a few minutes as I messed up my first try.  Now that I have had a few days to read through the posts, I shall give it another try.  Here goes....

Artfulsoul,

Thank you for the Chevron chart.  This chart is big enough to see.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
YarnTales wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:14 AM

Dianajoknits,  that looks to be an ideal solution!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:36 AM

Dianajoknits,

Thank you for the pics and the instructions. 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Islandgilr wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:37 AM

I've been thinking about this sweater every since I saw it last weekend.. I finally broke down and ordered yarn... and bought the pattern... It'll probably take 10days for the yarn to get here so I think I'll be way behind  but I'll have 10 days to read through this thread so that I can hopefully avoid other peoples problems!   User name should be Islandgirl but I can't type....

Lynne

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:44 AM

What I did for my swatch, after multiple attempts, was to just pick a place to start.  I picked from a wider part of the chart.  I did a swatch just big enough to check the gauge.  I found it easy, because, once you get a row set, you repeat it 3 more times then set up the next one.  Hope this helps

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:12 PM

SoCallMeaghan, HI. Hiya Hiya has 9" fixed circular bamboo needles for around $9.00 on the Web at HiyaHiya North America. I think Clover also has small sized short cable fixed bamboo needles, also.     -Kathryn

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:25 PM

km.k33:

SoCallMeaghan, HI. Hiya Hiya has 9" fixed circular bamboo needles for around $9.00 on the Web at HiyaHiya North America. I think Clover also has small sized short cable fixed bamboo needles, also.     -Kathryn

Wow - thanks Kathryn. I wasn't sure this would ever get answered. I appreciate you checking in on this. I have heard of Hiya Hiya but only have DP's from them, not fixed circ's so I'll have to visit their website to see what I can find. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:26 PM

YarnTales, Hi. You must download the charts from the Knitting Daily Web site at:  http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/73254.aspx

There are five charts. These are corrected charts and they are enlarged. The charts in Interweave Knits are tiny; use these only if you want to go blind......and crazy. -Kathryn

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:26 PM

SusanD@96:

Meaghan,

So glad you have finally started and are not having problems.  I will be restarting in a few minutes as I messed up my first try.  Now that I have had a few days to read through the posts, I shall give it another try.  Here goes....

Susan,

Good luck - it's actually not nearly as complicated as the pattern would suggest. Just ignore that shaping charts and do your M1's in pattern to match each link in the knitting chart and you'll be flying along!

Meg

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:29 PM

Cast on question for the neck:

After row 28 we're supposed to cast on 14 st (for 37 1/2") for the neck shaping. What cast on method is recommended here (for those of you who have gone past this)? My initial thought is backward loop but it may not be tight enough for the pattern. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:30 PM

SoCalMeaghan:

km.k33:

Wow - thanks Kathryn. I wasn't sure this would ever get answered. I appreciate you checking in on this. I have heard of Hiya Hiya but only have DP's from them, not fixed circ's so I'll have to visit their website to see what I can find. 

You might wait a little before deciding if you really need to purchase 12" circs, instead of 16" you might already have.  Probably depends on size, but I've been able to make all my sleeves over the years with 16".  And of course, you could use dpn's if you already have those. 

If you need to plan this in advance, could always CO the sleeve stitches for your size, and test if you can work them in round with your existing circs!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:32 PM

Hi, Also, you can use magic loop with a much longer circular needle, i.e.: 32", 40".

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:41 PM

a gusset update.  Now that I've gone an inch or two beyond the underarm, I'm even more pleased.  The gusset just tucks right in to the deep chevron pattern - excellent! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:46 PM

I used a knitted cast on.  Worked well.  Backward loop would probably also work.  All of the edges are going to be "covered" with the edging so I thought that any neat cast on would do. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:47 PM

Or two circulars al la Joyce Williams!

Page 20 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  18 19 20 21 22  Next >  ... Last » | RSS