THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Kripa wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:47 PM

Mommorita, thank you so much for your response. I had vaguely thought of doing this myself but I'm glad to see that there's not much more science to it than that! :-) I thought I was missing out on some instructions. I shudder to think of all the roadblocks I'm going to have in the rest of the pattern if I was thrown by this.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 1:53 PM

The chart is drafted for multi-sizes, with different colored bands delineating the different sizes. The 'three stitches' at the join is for larger sizes. The corrected charts can be downloaded at  http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/73254.aspx . -Kathryn

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 2:59 PM

I am having an awful time reading those graphs.  I get that the written directions are the same as rows 1 and 2 on the graph.  Row 3 doesn't seen to match what I did on 1&2. The first stitch is a slip and the 2nd stitch was a purl (right side).  Am I supposed to increase a purl right after the slip on row 3? Then the graph looks like there are 2 knits before the marker; I get that one is an increase, but the stitch on my needle is a purl.  It looks like I am supposed to go from slip, purl to slip, purl, knit, knit.  I'm anxious to get stared and I hit a snag on the 3rd row!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
DanielleM@19 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 3:13 PM

I'm Danielle and live near Seattle, WA.  I am plannig to use Elann's Pervian Highland wool.  I have made other sweaters with it and love them. I purchased a lovely, neutral, light gray.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jun 26, 2012 4:03 PM

I have had my eye on this sweater since I saw it in the magazine.  Really glad to have it as a KAL, especially since this is my first sweater.  I, too, chose the Crestone "Smoke". I am travelling; will swatch when I get home.  Yarn ordered today, so I am a little behind, but not by much.  Carol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MaryR@106 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:12 PM

I am excited about the project and found some Harrisville Highland yarn in my stash that has been there for a long time.  It's in a cornflower yellow and I swatched last night.  I think it will be perfect for the pattern and am looking forward to starting the project -- probably this weekend when I can spend some quality time reviewing the pattern and then casting on for the body.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:15 PM

I'm trying to follow the graphs and I have another question: for size 37.5 do I follow the red line until it turns yellow?  Sorry if I'm a whiner, but I want to get this sweater going.  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:30 PM

Mommorita:

I'm trying to follow the graphs and I have another question: for size 37.5 do I follow the red line until it turns yellow?  Sorry if I'm a whiner, but I want to get this sweater going.  

The 37.5" (the same one I'm building) seems to follow a number of the different colors unfortunately. For example on the "Right Back" it starts off following magenta, then skips up to the cyan. It doesn't seem to follow the red much at all except at row 124 when it reaches it's fully length. I managed to trace it very carefully with a yellow pen in an app on my iPad. I'm wondering if I can transfer it over so us "yellow" folks can all use it. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:34 PM

Mommorita:

I am having an awful time reading those graphs.  I get that the written directions are the same as rows 1 and 2 on the graph.  Row 3 doesn't seen to match what I did on 1&2. The first stitch is a slip and the 2nd stitch was a purl (right side).  Am I supposed to increase a purl right after the slip on row 3? Then the graph looks like there are 2 knits before the marker; I get that one is an increase, but the stitch on my needle is a purl.  It looks like I am supposed to go from slip, purl to slip, purl, knit, knit.  I'm anxious to get stared and I hit a snag on the 3rd row!

I took  AdeleDS's advice and ignored the shaping chart. It appears to be causing a lot of confusion. What I've done, as an exmaple, from row 2 to row 3:

To start row 3 with the RS facing you, you should see 1K and 1P st. What I did (and hopefully it's not wrong) is slip the first stitch purl-wise (to create the selvedge edge), then M1 knit wise (so now you have to "knit" st), p1 and then M1 purl wise. Now you have two knit stitch and two purl stitch.

Moving onto row 3 of the "sleeve" I p1, M1 purl wise, and continue in pattern until the you reach rm. Then M1 purl wise. that way you end up with the requisite 11 st where you only had 9 before. 

Does this make sense? It took me half a bottle of champagne to relax enough to figure it out! Wink

Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
NinaL@7 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:41 PM

Hi! I am Nina a knitter from NYC. I am planning to use Araucania Nature Wool. I will swatch tonight.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:43 PM

SoCalMeaghan:

Mommorita:

I took  AdeleDS's advice and ignored the shaping chart. It appears to be causing a lot of confusion. What I've done, as an exmaple, from row 2 to row 3:

To start row 3 with the RS facing you, you should see 1K and 1P st. What I did (and hopefully it's not wrong) is slip the first stitch purl-wise (to create the selvedge edge), then M1 knit wise (so now you have to "knit" st), p1 and then M1 purl wise. Now you have two knit stitch and two purl stitch.

Moving onto row 3 of the "sleeve" I p1, M1 purl wise, I M1 purl wise, p1, and continue in pattern until the you reach rm. Then M1 purl wise. that way you end up with the requisite 11 st where you only had 9 before. 

Does this make sense? It took me half a bottle of champagne to relax enough to figure it out! Wink

Good luck!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 4:59 PM

For Size 37.5 you follow the YELLOW lines, as the key in the upper left-hand corner indicates, except where it merges into another color line. Then you follow that color until you reach another yellow line. Lets trace the outside perimeter of the 'Left Back Chart' for your size. Start where the yellow line begins in the upper left side of the chart. Trace this to the right. It quickly turns into a red line. Trace the red line until it merges again into the yellow line. Where the yellow line ends at a corner, change directions and trace down the line until it merges into the blue line. follow the blue line down the page following all of the blue changes from vertical to horizontal at each corner until at the bottom of the page the blue vertical segment of the line merges into the pink line. Follow the pink line to the absolute bottom of the chart and turn the corner;.......it merges into yellow for a very small segment and then to pink. Continue to trace the line going from right to left. At the corner change directions; and trace in an upward direction still following the pink line until you reach the corner where you started at the merger point with the yellow line. -KATHRYN

Not Ranked
Posts 7
shelbyart wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 5:21 PM

I'm not sure it will make a difference. If you look at the wool used in the original pattern, it has some distinct variegation and it is not really visible in the final product. The chevron has NO TROUBLE standing out, so I think you're safe with either the twist or the  solid.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 5:37 PM

For size 37 1/2:  Cast-on 70 stitches. You must knit from all 5 charts in succession,  For Row 1, knit row one on each chart as follows: Knit from left front chart; place a marker, then the sleeve chart, place a marker, then the left back chart, place two markers, then the right back chart, place a marker, then the sleeve chart, place a marker, then the right front chart.  Increases are made according to the shaping chart which gives the instructions for raglan increases, front neck increases, and center back increases. In the magazine, this chart is shown on pg. 30.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
gini knits wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 5:43 PM

This is my first knit along. Hope this is where to post. I found some nice blue Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in my stash. Hope there is enough. Knit a swatch got the guage, game on! 

Page 21 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next >  ... Last » | RSS