THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 26, 2012 5:56 PM

gini knits wrote the following post at Tue, Jun 26 2012 8:43 PM:

This is my first knit along. Hope this is where to post. I found some nice blue Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in my stash. Hope there is enough. Knit a swatch got the guage, game on!

Dive in, Gini knits.   I am really enjoying the process....now that I have gotten past the first bit.  It is flowing nicely.  I want to work on this alone; but, I am committed to knitting for a friend.  Her project is so tedious that I am falling asleep after 2 rows.  So...for every row of Pan Am, I do 2 rows of my friend's project.  So the Pan Am Cardigan is my reward for 2 rows of plain knit on circular needles.    lol     Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
gini knits wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 6:05 PM

good for you! I like to mix projects up a bit too. I hope the knit along keeps me on track to the finish line!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuluThreads wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 8:09 PM

This is my first Knit-Along.  I know I'm signing on a little late, but there should be time to catch up (I hope).   I admired the PanAm jacket the first time I saw it.   I've been reading the posts, and hope I can choose the right size for me.   I too believe the sleeves should be a bit larger, but I'm trying to figure how to add a few stitches without doing a gusset.   Thanks for the larger charts!  For yarn, I ordered some TLC Cotton Plus, color Thistle - this will be a Florida sweater.   Looking forward to the challenge.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
marhar wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 8:17 PM

Went to my LKS today -- a friend had a copy of the Interweave Magazine -- much more readable than my printer printed the bought pattern.  I got  Berroco Vintage in a heather lavender, very neutral.  I am ready to start, after my two little ones go back to their parents on Sunday!!

Mary Lou

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 26, 2012 11:07 PM

So, I finally set aside both of my other projects and started to swatch for my Pan Am Jacket tonight.  First, size 6 ndls and some Handsome Harry's Hanks wool in red.  I've been thinking of doing the main part red and the edging in black.  I did two repeats of the chevron pattern width and length.  I loved the texture and how it looked , but it was obvious that to get gauge in the stitches (once blocked) that the rows per inch were too short (26 or 28 rows for 4").  Figured this wasn't good, esp. since that would shorten the raglan to the underarm. 

So, I tried pure cotton, thinking I'm in Florida a good part of the year, so why not cotton in some great tropical colors.  But I didn't like it, and still wasn't getting row gauge.  I'm going to try a swatch with the wool again, but size 7 ndls this time.  Anyone else having trouble getting the row gauge?

Lynne, aka imalulu

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:08 AM

I'm also not sure how to post so I'm replying to this post because I'll probably need to do this gusset later.

This is my first KAL knit along, I've done 2 with KnitPurlHunter. Her videos are very good if anyone needs any instructions. I chose Aurora 8 from Karabella yarns in grey  using 4.5 needles. I'll have to check my length as I go as the swatch was a little short.

I've done the first 2 rows and after much reading, thanks to the posts, I'm ready to move on.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 7:12 AM

This helps SO much - THANK YOU Kathryn!   Thank you for following all those lines for me.  I'm starting over (from row 4) for the last time because your directions are so clear and made so much sense.  I can see where I made my mistakes; I was following the pink line instead of the red.  I'm also working from the computer because I can enlarge it enough to see the difference in the two colors. I can't wait to get going on my real sweater - at last!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Mommorita wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 7:17 AM

Thank you so much, SoCallMeaghan.  Your advice really did get me through that tricky start.  I'll have to try that champagne boost when I get stuck again! By hte way, I love your Tree of Life afghan, it's beautiful.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
kathleenster wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 7:50 AM

I have found that the longer I knit the pattern the easier it gets.  I no longer have to study the rows.  I just need to study the increase.  The rows are combinations of:

4 rows of k2, p2, k2, p3, k2, p2, k2  (and reverse of this pattern)
and
4 rows of k2, p2, k2, p2, k1, p2, k2, p2, k2, p2 (and the reverse of this pattern)

simply put you are doing 4 rows of counting to 4 sets of k2 and p2, followed by a k1 or p1
and
4 rows of 3 sets of k2 and p2 follwed by a p3 or k3

I hope this helps

Geeked

Not Ranked
Posts 3
phelsuma90 wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 8:01 AM

I am wondering about the corrections too? Does this mean the magazine version isn't correct? Where are the corrections found??

I am looking forward to joining, as this is my first KAL. Love the PanAm jacket!! Rosanne

Not Ranked
Posts 9
theresiah wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 9:36 AM

I was on vacation when I got the PanAm Jacket Knit- Along email.  I'm in!  I selected the project from the magazine issue and purchased yarn - had to get home to see what I. had in the stash drawer.  Hmmm.  What I have is Reynolds Hopscotch 100% super wash wool in a pale blue/grey which matches the magazine photo.  This is a thick/ thin yarn, 109 yds/ 50 g.  There must have been some logic to this yarn selection ( I mean, beyond being on sale). I will knit a swatch and let you know how it goes.  

I am an experienced knitter - never participated in a knit-along or a forum before.  Enough typing.  I need to go find some #6 needles and start that gauge swatch.

-Theresia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 9:53 AM

Mommorita:

Thank you so much, SoCallMeaghan.  Your advice really did get me through that tricky start.  I'll have to try that champagne boost when I get stuck again! By hte way, I love your Tree of Life afghan, it's beautiful.

You're welcome. And thank YOU - I love that afghan. It's really light weight so it's perfect here in San Diego, but so pretty. 

Just in case you were still interested (and for anyone doing a 37 1/2" sweater, the yellow line) I traced the yellow path so its easier to see. I hope this is helpful. If anyone cannot see these (they're PDF so I don't know how this post is going to show up) please message me (if you can...) and I'll see about getting them to you in another format.

6472.Left Back.pdf

6403.Left Front.pdf

6038.Right Back.pdf

8883.Right Front.pdf

3286.Sleeve.pdf

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
Jag009 wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:12 AM

SoCalMeaghan:

Just in case you were still interested (and for anyone doing a 37 1/2" sweater, the yellow line) I traced the yellow path so its easier to see. I hope this is helpful. If anyone cannot see these (they're PDF so I don't know how this post is going to show up) please message me (if you can...) and I'll see about getting them to you in another format.

6472.Left Back.pdf

6403.Left Front.pdf

6038.Right Back.pdf

8883.Right Front.pdf

3286.Sleeve.pdf

Thank you!  They printed beautifully.  I had already printed the other ones and I'll save them to rip to shreds and stomp on as the need arises!

Jane

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:23 AM

A note to new members on this KAL...if your message is specific to a previous posting, like "I really like your colors"....we have no idea who you are replying to UNLESS you include a snippet of their posting within your own post!  Tongue Tied

To Do This...click on Reply within the post you are responding to, AND ALSO CLICK ON THE "QUOTE" LINK that you will see in the greyed-out box which will appear, which will cause that entire response to be quoted in your reply.  You can even highlight just a sentence from the greyed-out box, then click "QUOTE", and just that sentence will be quoted!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jun 27, 2012 10:30 AM

ArtfulSoul:
"....we have no idea who you are replying to UNLESS you include a snippet of their posting within your own post!

Thank you Artful Soul....I was copy and pasting the snippit from the previous post; but it is good to know the proper way.   Keep knitting everyone.  I can't wait to see all your photos of works in progress and ...ta da....the finished jacket.

Page 22 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  20 21 22 23 24  Next >  ... Last » | RSS