THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:15 PM

ZassZ:

Hi Artful Soul, 

I like your darker yarn as well.  It has a nice sheen to it and looks richer in color.  Are the other colors the same yarn as the vest you are wearing in your avatar picture? 

Thank you, if I can work out the shaping mods, I'll forge ahead!  The other color yarn choices do happen to be in the Seaweed Cardigan in my Avatar (Knitting Daily KAL in early 2011!)...but none of the same yarn is being used.  Guess we all drift to the same colors time and again!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:15 PM

My swatches with size  6, then size 7 ndls (top in pic).  Not much of a differerence.  I will wet block them and see.  The color doesn't show true in the pic.  Really a rich burgundy.  Anyway, tonight I'm going to swatch some Reynolds Paterna wool in a light blue and see what that looks like.  I'm still off on the row gauge.  Anyone else worried about that?  Lynne, aka imalulu

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:25 PM

imalulu:

My swatches with size  6, then size 7 ndls (top in pic).  Not much of a differerence.  I will wet block them and see.  The color doesn't show true in the pic.  Really a rich burgundy.  Anyway, tonight I'm going to swatch some Reynolds Paterna wool in a light blue and see what that looks like.  I'm still off on the row gauge.  Anyone else worried about that?  Lynne, aka imalulu

LOVE YOUR COLOR!  Do you like the way the fabric feels in one swatch versus another?  If you'd like a more firm fabric, or a draping one, that will help you decide between needles.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:40 PM

I think SoCalMeaghan's chart helped me...a red knitter!Devil

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:11 PM

ArtfulSoul:

imalulu:

I like both of them, but the one on size 7 meets the row gauge better.  My new swatch has even more rows per 4"....I'm very disappointed and concerned that the armhole depth won't be deep enough, if my row gauge is off.  Lynne, aka imalulu

LOVE YOUR COLOR!  Do you like the way the fabric feels in one swatch versus another?  If you'd like a more firm fabric, or a draping one, that will help you decide between needles.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:18 PM

I've been considering short rows to lengthen the back but decided against them. My garment (thus far) looks like it has a little drape in the back and the pics of the finish garment do too.  So I may not need any additional length there.   I might actually add a short row in the border to raise the back neck (if I have to).  As I was thinking about it, I think the way to go is to not make the repeat 5 rows but to add 2 short rows at a time on the r and l back sections and just move ahead on these charts.  This won't distort the pattern as much and, since the charts are separate, shouldn't be too maddening.    Hope someone tries both so we can see how it looks.

A question somewhat related to buttonholes and buttons - the instructions for the buttonholes has an abbreviation - RLI and LLI.  It says to see the glossary but I don't see it there.  Anyone know what this means?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:21 PM

cnmec1002:

ArtfulSoul:

A note to new members on this KAL...if your message is specific to a previous posting, like "I really like your colors"....we have no idea who you are replying to UNLESS you include a snippet of their posting within your own post!  Tongue Tied

To Do This...click on Reply within the post you are responding to, AND ALSO CLICK ON THE "QUOTE" LINK that you will see in the greyed-out box which will appear, which will cause that entire response to be quoted in your reply.  You can even highlight just a sentence from the greyed-out box, then click "QUOTE", and just that sentence will be quoted!

Thank you!

Artful Soul - I've been doing it wrong.  Sorry to drive everyone crazy but now I know how thanks to you!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:23 PM

imalulu:

I'm still off on the row gauge.  Anyone else worried about that?  Lynne, aka imalulu 

I swatched with both  4 mm (size 6) and 4.5 mm needles. I found the fabric was so stretchy that what gauge I got varied depending on whether I patted it gently up or gently sideways. In fact, the first time I measured, the swatch with the larger needles was actually smaller than the other one. In the end, I preferred to go with the 4mm needles because I liked the fabric better (with my wool and the larger needles the fabric was just a little too loose for my liking) and because the size 44-3/4 gives me positive ease, so I have a little wiggle room with the garment turning out smaller than advertised. I looked at the finished jackets on Ravelry, and I can see a lot of people have it a little tight but it looks great on them anyway.

I still haven't figured out where the second button goes, though.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 10:26 PM

dianajoknits:

A question somewhat related to buttonholes and buttons - the instructions for the buttonholes has an abbreviation - RLI and LLI.  It says to see the glossary but I don't see it there.  Anyone know what this means?

Right Lifted Increase and Left Lifted Increase. In my downloaded pattern the directions are on the sleeve chart page, bottom left. There's also a "RLPI" and "LLPI" - the lifted increases with purl stitches.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 1:09 AM

Hope you are sticking with this. I have a list of questions, but am reading through all of this first. This is my first KAL. I thought I was a fairly competent knitter...I guess not as I have too many questions. I am determined to muddle through non the less.

Cate

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rsbueno wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 2:15 AM

My first Knt-A-Long.  I've decided on the yarn suggested in the color suggested.  Here we go! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 2:28 AM

A few more questions after reviewing all the wonderful explanations.

The first stitch of each row is slipped. Is it always slipped purlwise (as it was in rows 1 and 2)?

About last selvedge stitch(es )-  it seems there is only 1 end of row selvedge stitch in rows 1 and 2 and it should be a stockingnet stitch , right? i.e. knit on right side and purled on wrong side. Please confirm.

After the shape neck  instructions, we seem to have 2 selvedge stitches at each front edge (Does author mean CENTER FRONT?) "with a 2 stitch selvedge at each front edge ( 1 sl st,  1 st in /St st) ok, how do we do that on the wrong/even side row?

I didn't see a reply to a few questions about whether it would look ok to only do one kind of M1 - ? Any thoughts?

Many thanks to you.

cate

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 5:48 AM

Thank you SoCallMeaghan for the tip on iAnnotate. I downloaded it yesterday and once I got the charts in place, it is so easy to follow.  I'm loving this knit along and watching the pattern emerge.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 7:32 AM

Willyknit:

I'm very excited to do this KAL and was able to find yarn my stash!  Nashua's Isabella it's an aran weight with a fiber content of 57% wool, 33% silk and 10% rayon so it will not hold it's shape as well as 100% wool.  After swatching with a 4mm and 3.75mm decided to go with the smaller needle size (top part of my swatch).

I'm starting over with a new yarn - Classic Elite's Sannibel - 42% cotton 58% viscose - this yarn is amazing!  I was just not loving the other yarn and thought it would be too thick doubled along the edges and after making a mistake, was happy about ripping it out and starting with something else.  Went up a needle size to 4.5mm to get gauge.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 9:24 AM

imalulu:

I like both of them, but the one on size 7 meets the row gauge better.  My new swatch has even more rows per 4"....I'm very disappointed and concerned that the armhole depth won't be deep enough, if my row gauge is off.  Lynne, aka imalulu

I'm not beyond the swatch and thinking-about-mods stage on this...but I think it might be possible to make a decision when you approach the point of armhole break, to work additional rows even, without increases, to get the extra depth.  It would simply mean that going forward later will require adjusting pattern in body rows (but by then, you will likely be so familiar with the chevron, you could do it).

Page 24 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  22 23 24 25 26  Next >  ... Last » | RSS