THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
fultonbx wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 2:50 PM

Hello- I want to participate in this knit-along but I am not sure what to do to get the info as we knit along.  Thought I would try just replying.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
AnJiaYi wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 3:30 PM

I want to play, too! This is my first KAL, but it's a pattern I've wanted to do since I saw it and I knew that if I didn't do it now, it could be years...

Just got my yarn in today - I'm using KnitPicks Simply Cotton Worsted in Haze Heather. It's a soft lavender, and just gorgeous. It's 100% cotton, machine-washable. I live in Georgia, and if I used 100% wool, I'd get to wear it maybe twice all winter.

Excited to join in, and hoping to keep up!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
be67204 wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:07 PM

wow,,, how did you get the copies of the charts printed out in larger print. I have knitted one swatch with size 4 and it is 1/2" to small, so know i am knitting using size 5. hope that it works, this is my second project of knitting, my first was raglen and was just a little to big in the sholders  but correct rest of the way. i left the sleeves off since it hung down 2-3 in. .as i was knitting the swatch i wrote down the pattern. and read it left to right RS and right to left WS. I think that was correct. at least i saw the pattern. thks Belinda

Not Ranked
Posts 7
be67204 wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:07 PM

wow,,, how did you get the copies of the charts printed out in larger print. I have knitted one swatch with size 4 and it is 1/2" to small, so know i am knitting using size 5. hope that it works, this is my second project of knitting, my first was raglen and was just a little to big in the sholders  but correct rest of the way. i left the sleeves off since it hung down 2-3 in. .as i was knitting the swatch i wrote down the pattern. and read it left to right RS and right to left WS. I think that was correct. at least i saw the pattern. thks Belinda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sami-dbc wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:29 PM

Hi everyone! I just got my yarn today, Abuelita Merino Silk, and did my swatch.

This is my first KAL, so I'm really excited and hoping to catch up this week :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:38 PM

be67204:
as i was knitting the swatch i wrote down the pattern. and read it left to right RS and right to left WS. I think that was correct. at least i saw the pattern. thks Belinda

Hi Belinda. Because this is a knit-purl pattern, it will look nice on both sides!  But the chart shows odd # rows as the RS, and even # rows as WS.  And you will read the chart for RS rows from right-to-left, and for WS rows from left-to-right.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:47 PM

be67204:

I do not have access to a color printer so I downloaded the PDFs that interweave provided and then ordered a color copy of each from FedEx/Kinkos (on line).  They held them in the shop and I picked them up.  They are not huge but big enough for me.  You can probably ask to have them enlarged if you'd like.  I would suggest getting 2 copies of the sleeve chart for convenience.  I stapled the pages together in order and all I had to do was flip through them. 

I believe that the convention for flat knitting is to read the chart right to left for the right side and then "backwards" (left to right) for the wrong side.  I think if you did it the other way (as you did) you would still see the pattern.  And since the shaping is mirror imaged, it might even turn out ok (i would have to think a little more about that one).  But it would be "reversed" from the way the charts are labeled.  And it just sounds like it could all get a little too confusing.  So I would suggest that when you make the garment, you use right to left for RS and left to right for WS.  A suggestion:  When first faced with charts, the impulse is to write them out.  Resist the impulse.  Practice using the charts and reading your knitting.  This was a great skill for me to learn and now I sometimes make a chart from written instructions!.  it might be a little slower at first but WAY faster in the end.  It is much easier to find the rhythm of this pattern if you're using the charts and the knitting becomes much more enjoyable.

I can see that you are an adventursome knitter if this is your second project.  Not sure if your first one was top down or not but you should be able to fit the shoulders on this one pretty early in the game - a distinct advantage of top down knitting.  Good luck!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 4:52 PM

fultonbx:

Hello- I want to participate in this knit-along but I am not sure what to do to get the info as we knit along.  Thought I would try just replying.

Hi - my first KAL too and I am/was not very good at posting but I will try to answer your question - not sure I completely understand what you want to know.  Do you want to know how to post?  How to get posts sent to your email?  Info about the actualy pattern? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 5:05 PM

theresiah:

Has anybody else noticed that even rows are just inverse of odd rows?  so you don't have to make yourself crazy with the charts: just look at the next stitch on the needle.  K where you see a k, p where you see a p, on even rows only.

I first knitted a swatch with #6 needles - row gauge was too short.  Second swatch with #8 needles was perfect, and I really liked the feel and look of the sample.  But I did not wash the sample and I probably will regret that.

Then I spent 2 days knitting - Got to row 29 or so, where you cast on for front neck, and realized that in my knitting enthusiasm, I picked up the #6 needles instead of #8.  So I ripped up and started over.  Got to row 8 last night watching Olympic gymnastic trials last night.  And now in the clear light of day, I realize that I had better knit another gauge swatch and wash is, especially since I have super wash wool.  Or else I will have another gorgeous garment that does not fit.

I am using Reynolds Hopscotch.  The thick-thin quality of the yarn is really interesting.  Now I will try to figure out how to do photos to include with my next post.

Exactly!  So when you are knitting back on the wrong side row you only have to worry about the M1 stitch becoming a knit or purl.  Since that only happens in Row 2, rows 3 and 4 are a breeze. (it's a 4 row pattern)  Here's the other realization that really helped:  the pattern is A) double, double, double, double, single (alternatiing between knit and purl) OR B) double, double, double, triple. (alternating) That's it!  The only thing that changes is how the row begins (and ends) because the pattern does shift and you're adding stitches for the shaping.  So I look at the chart only at the beginning and ends of rows 1 and 2.  The rest of the time I'm just saying my mantra - double, double, double, triple (etc).  It's nice to check yourself on row 2 because mistakes can be fixed at that point.  Rows 3 and 4 - just read the knitting.  They become a breeze. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mcradnor wrote
on Jun 30, 2012 9:28 PM

I've made it to row 28 and am trying to decide which cast on to use for adding the additional stitches. Any suggestions? This is what it looks like so far:

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 8:06 AM

In reply to mcradnor, I too have reached row 28 and coincidently, I chose gray so it looks like yours. I'm going to try a cable cast on, you can see a video on www.knitpurlhunter.com.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Bdsimpson wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 8:08 AM

I'm also going to try the Russian grafting on michelle hunters blog to join yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 8:18 AM

mcradnor:

I've made it to row 28 and am trying to decide which cast on to use for adding the additional stitches. Any suggestions? This is what it looks like so far:

i used the knitted cast on.  Your sweater is looking beautiful!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
marygaring wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 11:13 AM

Need to know do I follow the chart and not inc on the inside on the 2nd row of the lt and rt front or follow the writen directions and inc?  Please help!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jennimpeal wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 11:33 AM

This is how I manage my charts and tracking where I am on the chart.  The highlighted lines are every 5 rows for ease of counting, and I continue it across the spaces between charts so I can more easily stay on track.

Hi, the.fibre.queen

Thanks so much for posting your chart organization.  This will really help me to visualize the garment, progress with the work and keep on track .  All the best, Jenni

Page 29 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  27 28 29 30 31  Next >  ... Last » | RSS