THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jul 4, 2012 8:56 PM

hennybeckert@gmail.com:

Hi, my name is Henny, and this is my 1st KAL. I am in North Eastern Australia, which makes it a little difficult with the time zones. I have been following all the posts from the start, and am now dividing body and sleeves. The chosen material is a 100% Australian Pure New Wool, Cleckheaton Country 8 ply, machine washable, beige with a pearly, slightly silky sheen to it. It is lovely to knit, and shows off the pattern in a pleasing way.

I am knitting the smallest size [for my 35 year old daughter that is :)], and since the sleeves are pinching under the model's armpits, my work will need gussets for comfort. I have been looking online, but not found what I was looking for.

Dianajoknits, would you please describe how you inserted your gussets? I like the looks of them a lot.

Thanks, Henny

dianajoknits:

Sure.  When you divide for the sleeves you are going to slip the LF, and half the divider stitches to your new needle, then put the other half of the divider stitches, sleeve stitches and half the next divider stitches on a holder.  Next you slip the back and then the other sleeve and RF.  You will then work that same row - It's a RS row.  When you come to the sleeve, cast on 8 or 10 stitches using the backwards loop method.  These are your gusset stitches  You are then going to continue to work the body in pattern being sure to purl the gusset stitches n the RS.  I decreased one stitch on each side of the gusset every 4 rows.  I did the decreases on the WS so I could use SSK and K2 tog.  I kept the 2 outside stitches untouched until the end.  So the gusset looked like K1, P1, decrease here, P1 K1.  I decreased until I had the original 4 divider stitches left.  Then just finish the body.  When you get ready to work the sleeve you will put your sleeve stitches on the needles and pick up your gusset stitches.  Once again, you will decrease a stitch on each side of the gusset every 4 rows until you have the original 4 divider stitches   Hope s makes sense.  Let me know if you have questions.

I'm sure there is a reference somewhere but I would be glad to show you how. Tell me when you are ready to divide sleeves from body.

imalulu:

Lindasma:

Oh, and I love your underarm gusset. When I reach that point I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for all your helpful ideas and encouragement!

Lori in ETenn

I asked earlier about making the gusset.  I think it looks great, but I've never made one.  Can anyone explain how to put one under the arm?  Or lead me to a "how-to" on line?

Thanks, Lynne, aka imalulu

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuluThreads wrote
on Jul 4, 2012 11:48 PM

Hi - Reading over the posts today - hoping to have the confidence to get this jacket started!   I'm worried about the size of the sleeves too, and would like to make the entire sleeve about an inch wider from the armhole down.    But if I add stitches to the sleeve, then I'm pretty sure I'll need to add the same # of stitches to the body (where I don't need the extra).   I've been studying the charts & the pattern, dividing # of stitches by gauge to get the actual inches, and it seems to come out a bit smaller, at least in the 37-1/2 size.  (The sleeve would only measure about 10 in.)  This is what I'm considering:  Adding 6 stitches (3 on each side of the divider sts) to the sleeve and the body at the underarm.   To make up for the extra 12 sts in the body, I think I'll reduce the # of increases at the Ctr. back.  Maybe every 8 rows instead of every 6 rows.   I haven't made many raglan sweaters, except for kids.   I guess I'll be trying it on alot as I go along.

I knitted my swatch (TLC Cotton Plus) using #7 needles, and that looks good, the yarn feels soft and comfortable, and the pattern shows up nicely, although the color is a little darker than I expected.    Maybe I'll cast on tomorrow.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jul 4, 2012 11:57 PM

dianajoknits:

I'm sure there is a reference somewhere but I would be glad to show you how. Tell me when you are ready to divide sleeves from body.

imalulu:

Lindasma:

Oh, and I love your underarm gusset. When I reach that point I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for all your helpful ideas and encouragement!

Lori in ETenn

Thank you so much, Dianajo.  I will ask when I'm there.  I am currently done with 10 rows, so it will be a while.

Lynne, aka imalulu

I asked earlier about making the gusset.  I think it looks great, but I've never made one.  Can anyone explain how to put one under the arm?  Or lead me to a "how-to" on line?

Thanks, Lynne, aka imalulu

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 5, 2012 6:10 AM

Thank you, Dianajoknits!

This sounds do-able, makes sense. i am going to try it out right away. very inspiring.

- Henny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
MichelleR wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 9:11 AM

LuluThreads:
I'm worried about the size of the sleeves too, and would like to make the entire sleeve about an inch wider from the armhole down. 

What I did was swatch in a larger needle till I got the extra size I needed for a larger sleeve and I have been working the sleeve stitches on those larger needles separate from the rest of the sweater from the beginning, so far so good, without adding stitches. I am not yet at the part for the sleeve separation so If it still is not large enough I will most likely at that time do the gusset.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 5, 2012 9:34 AM

MichelleR:

LuluThreads:
I'm worried about the size of the sleeves too, and would like to make the entire sleeve about an inch wider from the armhole down. 

What I did was swatch in a larger needle till I got the extra size I needed for a larger sleeve and I have been working the sleeve stitches on those larger needles separate from the rest of the sweater from the beginning, so far so good, without adding stitches. I am not yet at the part for the sleeve separation so If it still is not large enough I will most likely at that time do the gusset.

Hi Michelle,

Learning how to do these beautiful gussets has been a real bonus that I am grateful for. I have only just started on them, and can clearly see the difference. They will greatly improve ease of movement. As I said before, I am making the Pan Am for my 35 year old daughter. She is only tiny (42 kg), and does not have big arms. But the design is very tight under the armpits. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
oxid8 wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 12:09 PM

LuluThreads:

Hi - Reading over the posts today - hoping to have the confidence to get this jacket started!   I'm worried about the size of the sleeves too, and would like to make the entire sleeve about an inch wider from the armhole down.    But if I add stitches to the sleeve, then I'm pretty sure I'll need to add the same # of stitches to the body (where I don't need the extra).   I've been studying the charts & the pattern, dividing # of stitches by gauge to get the actual inches, and it seems to come out a bit smaller, at least in the 37-1/2 size.  (The sleeve would only measure about 10 in.)  This is what I'm considering:  Adding 6 stitches (3 on each side of the divider sts) to the sleeve and the body at the underarm.   To make up for the extra 12 sts in the body, I think I'll reduce the # of increases at the Ctr. back.  Maybe every 8 rows instead of every 6 rows.   I haven't made many raglan sweaters, except for kids.   I guess I'll be trying it on alot as I go along.

I knitted my swatch (TLC Cotton Plus) using #7 needles, and that looks good, the yarn feels soft and comfortable, and the pattern shows up nicely, although the color is a little darker than I expected.    Maybe I'll cast on tomorrow.

You can increase more in the sleeve area while increasing the same in the body area so it will not be bigger.  Take for example a sweater that increased every 4 rows in both areas.  You could increase every two rows in the sleeves and still increase every four rows in the body.  Just decide how much more you want in the sleeve and see how you will need to space those increases.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
drea333 wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 12:44 PM

Hi,
I made lines on the charts every 4 rows (when the stitches shift) and numbered the sections.  That way you can go right to where you're supposed to be on the chart and you can count the sections on your knitting pretty easily.  I had to rip mine out twice before I figured this out.  Makes it much easier for me.  I'm on section 13 now.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
drea333 wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 12:44 PM

Hi,
I made lines on the charts every 4 rows (when the stitches shift) and numbered the sections.  That way you can go right to where you're supposed to be on the chart and you can count the sections on your knitting pretty easily.  I had to rip mine out twice before I figured this out.  Makes it much easier for me.  I'm on section 13 now.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuluThreads wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 3:15 PM

Thanks for your common-sense answer.    I think I was getting too stressed out about pattern-matching.   But you're right, I could  sneak in a couple extra sleeve increases in the last couple of inches before the armhole, and it wouldn't be noticeable.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuluThreads wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 3:18 PM

Excellent idea!  Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 5, 2012 6:48 PM

Got my yarn the other day, now I just have to swatch. The color is #5103 and it's a little lighter than it looks in the photo.

I'm working on a linen tee right now and I think I'm going to finish that before I get started on the Pan-Am. Maybe I'll make the Pan-Am my Olympics sweater!

You all are doing so well, and I'm getting so much info that'll be invaluable when I finally start this sweater. Thanks for paving the way!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mcradnor wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 7:03 PM

I ended up using the cable cast-on and it worked well for me.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mcradnor wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 7:21 PM

Thanks for sharing all the helpful tips! I'm almost to row 72 of the body now. How did you figure out the rest of the pattern for the front of the body? Do you repeat rows 59-72?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
laurym wrote
on Jul 5, 2012 7:23 PM

You guys may have already addressed this, but I'm just getting started and wondering the best way to do the Make ones.  Advice?  (I'm knitting with Cascade 220 Chocolate Heather).

Page 35 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  33 34 35 36 37  Next >  ... Last » | RSS