THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 3:42 PM

Willyknit:

I increased each sleeve by 4 stitches which gives an additional 1 inch.  Since the increases are done in pairs, before and after the divider stitches, I increased stitches on the fronts and backs also.  After dividing the sleeves from the body, I decreased the additional stitches in the body.  So the body is now back in pattern for size 33 1/2 and the sleeves are in pattern the next size up for 37 1/2.

This is how I did it -

Row 49 -  added 1 stitch increase before and after all raglan markers (divider stitches) - 2 added stitches to each sleeve - 1 added stitch to each front and each back = 8 total added stitches

Row 53 - added 1 stitch increase before and after all raglan markers (divider stitches) - 2 added stitches to each sleeve - 1 added stitch to each front and each back = 8 total added stitches

Instead of dividing for the sleeves at row 51 as per instructions for 33 1/2, I divided at row 53 as per instructions for 37 1/2

Row 57 - decreased 1 stitch before and after each raglan marker by knit/purl 2 stitches together - 4 stitches decreased

Row 59 - decreased 1 stitch before and after each raglan marker by knit/purl 2 stitches together - 4 stitches decreased

Here is how a sleeve looks with the additional 4 stitches - I'm sure without the extra stitches the sleeves would have been too tight for my comfort.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Jul 8, 2012 3:46 PM

HI,

I still haven't located my issue yet and am wondering how deep the borders are.  I'm adding length in both body and sleeves and need to know when to stop.

Thanks,

Yvonne

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Islandgilr wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 5:09 PM

I'm knitting the 33.5 too... however I just got started, I'm on row 24  Have you done any other changes?  What's the length of you raglan measuring from the top to the underarm... the pattern says it should be 8.5 inches on the straight but that's a pretty useless measurement!

Thanks

Lynne  (islandgirl)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 6:32 PM

the.fibre.queen:

I still haven't located my issue yet and am wondering how deep the borders are.  I'm adding length in both body and sleeves and need to know when to stop.

I think they're supposed to be 2-1/2" wide.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 7:16 PM

I tried it and it worked!  Thanks so much. Now, four hours later I thought, if anyone is brave enough to try--the gusset stitches would be really nice worked in a 1x1 rib. I won't un-knit, but it seems like an idea to try. 

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 7:26 PM

I forgot to add, thanks Artful and Dianajoknits for the great gusset help. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 8, 2012 7:34 PM

JanC@30:

Thanks all for gusset help. HOWEVER it seems I still need help. According to the previous posted gusset help, I divided my stitches after completing row 51. Isn't that correct for the smallest size?  "the I structio s for the gusset said "you will then work that same row. It's a RS row.". But haven't I worked to row 52 which is a wro g side row?  And if so, when do I cast on those gusset stitches?  I appreciate any and all help. You are all amazing!

Hello JanC,

I just saw your post, and realised that you are having the exact same dilemma that I had at that point in time. It is really a matter of the language we use, and I suppose we are not communication experts, but knitters. I ripped several times because of the same difficulty. Even knitted row 51 twice to try and solve the problem.

Ultimately I fitted the gusset increases in between the divider stitches in the sleeves (exactly as prescribed), but in row 50. At the same time as dividing body and sleeves. Now it all looks beautiful. Very happy. I now suppose that everyone who was happy with dianajoknits' gusset method did exactly that in the 1st place. As I said, a matter of language.

- Henny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
DoreenG@2 wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 11:07 PM

Hi Willyknit,

I joined in this Kal also, using knit pick comfy cotton in silver sage, doing size 40 and at the 62 row , i did not have add stitches for underarms it all fits nice, glad i did size 40.   I love your yarn color the color changes show the design great    I like to post a pictures but do not remember how to, would you please tell me.  thanks.  this my second kal and like this group i read alot of posts for information  and this was a challenage for me but i needed it right now. I am unable to work anymore and need this so much   okay i know went on alot .  

thanks

doreen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 8, 2012 11:37 PM

the.fibre.queen:

HI,

Thanks,

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

The Roam Rib pattern is 8 stitches wide.

- Henny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 8, 2012 11:40 PM

That is meant to spell 'Roman Rib pattern'

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 2:18 AM

Thanks Henny. It's always nice to know someone understands your question. I inserted my 8 gusset stitches during the WSrow 52. The divisions had already happened. Yay us!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
JanC@30 wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 2:19 AM

Thanks Henny. It's always nice to know someone understands your question. I inserted my 8 gusset stitches during the WSrow 52. The divisions had already happened. Yay us!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 9:14 AM

Islandgilr:

I'm knitting the 33.5 too... however I just got started, I'm on row 24  Have you done any other changes?  What's the length of you raglan measuring from the top to the underarm... the pattern says it should be 8.5 inches on the straight but that's a pretty useless measurement!

Thanks

Lynne  (islandgirl)

The length of my sweater top to underarm is about 8.75 inches to fit comfortably (still has a little bit more stretch).  Since I increased the stitch count and divided at row 53 it's a little bit longer.  I've not made any other changes and have been following the pattern for everything else.   

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Willyknit wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 9:19 AM

DoreenG@2:

Hi Willyknit,

I joined in this Kal also, using knit pick comfy cotton in silver sage, doing size 40 and at the 62 row , i did not have add stitches for underarms it all fits nice, glad i did size 40.   I love your yarn color the color changes show the design great    I like to post a pictures but do not remember how to, would you please tell me.  thanks.  this my second kal and like this group i read alot of posts for information  and this was a challenage for me but i needed it right now. I am unable to work anymore and need this so much   okay i know went on alot .  

thanks

doreen

Hi Doreen,

Go back to the very 1st post by Kathleen - she has a link in her post how to post pictures  (click the film picture icon).   I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!  I'm happy with knitting this in a cotton blend.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 10:07 AM

hennyknitting:

JanC@30:

Thanks all for gusset help. HOWEVER it seems I still need help. According to the previous posted gusset help, I divided my stitches after completing row 51. Isn't that correct for the smallest size?  "the I structio s for the gusset said "you will then work that same row. It's a RS row.". But haven't I worked to row 52 which is a wro g side row?  And if so, when do I cast on those gusset stitches?  I appreciate any and all help. You are all amazing!

Hello JanC,

I just saw your post, and realised that you are having the exact same dilemma that I had at that point in time. It is really a matter of the language we use, and I suppose we are not communication experts, but knitters. I ripped several times because of the same difficulty. Even knitted row 51 twice to try and solve the problem.

Ultimately I fitted the gusset increases in between the divider stitches in the sleeves (exactly as prescribed), but in row 50. At the same time as dividing body and sleeves. Now it all looks beautiful. Very happy. I now suppose that everyone who was happy with dianajoknits' gusset method did exactly that in the 1st place. As I said, a matter of language.

- Henny

Henny and JanC...I just want to clarify.  You are adding gussets with extra CO stitches to BOTH the sleeves AND body at the underarm?  If you only add to one, then there will be extra fabric to tuck in from the sleeve. Below is photo of my sleeve. To orient you, the sleeve is going upward, body downward.

At the center of the "diamond" are 6 st that I CO to the body, at the same time as setting sleeve stitches aside (see my pink yarn that held the sleeve stitches).  Then I decr in the body from underarm rather quickly to form the downward pointing triangle, until my Divider st were again 4.

When I later started the sleeve with st from my pink thread holder, I picked up 6 st from my body CO 6 st, and joined sleeve in the round.  Then quickly did the same decr as for body.  BUT...you do not need to do matched decreases, if the entire point of this is to give yourself extra sleeve width!  In fact, if that is why anyone is adding a "gusset"...you only want to shape the body back to pattern, but go forward with the extra st for sleeve you created.

Page 38 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  36 37 38 39 40  Next >  ... Last » | RSS