THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Jul 9, 2012 10:09 AM

Hennyknitting wrote the following posts:

Hi Yvonne,

The Roam Rib pattern is 8 stitches wide.

- Henny

That is meant to spell 'Roman Rib pattern'

Thank you so much, hennyknitting.  I really appreciate the info.  It's beginning to look like I will be completing this entire project without the actual written pattern in front of me.  By the way, I loved the typo, the rib does seem to roam a bit, so Roam or Roaming fit  very well.  I wonder where the Roman comes from.  The Romans were famous for their very straight roads, up and down mountains if they got in the way.

One more question.  Are the facings in the Roman Rib as well, or are they in stocking stitch?

Thanks again,

Yvonne

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jennimpeal wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 3:59 PM

dianajoknits:

I use eliz zimmermans make 1. I never get a hole so don't quite understand how others do. But its a simple backward loop on the right hand needle. Almost invisible. Y

Thanks so much for your suggestion re: increase stitches.  I love the simple backwards loop M1 and it looks great.  All the best, Jenni in Dallas

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
CateM wrote
on Jul 9, 2012 6:29 PM

aurym:

You guys may have already addressed this, but I'm just getting started and wondering the best way to do the Make ones.  Advice?  (I'm knitting with Cascade 220 Chocolate Heather).

Laurym:

In case your question hasn't been answered yet:

as suggested by someone (several someone's?) this is what I did for M1's:

I used only one type of knit m1 and 1 type of p m1 (and it looks great)

Both are also known as M1rights…

Knit increase:  lift bar onto left needle B to F, K in front

Purl increase: lift bar onto left needle B to F, P though the front.

The bar refers to the bar of yarn between the stitch on L needle and stitch on r needle. (not the stitch below).

Not Ranked
Posts 9
theresiah wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 7:05 AM

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the posts - for some strange reason, I have been unable to post anything from mymiPad and am too lazy to pull out a computer ( iPad is with me as I knit, and laptop is upstairs....)

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the posts - I have been unable to post anything from the iPad I use as I knit, and too lazy to go upstairs to get the laptop.  But reading the Q & A helps me to think about upcoming issues in the project and figure out how to handle them ( instead of guessing, ripping out, and knitting again to make a better guess).  Only had to rip out once, and that was because I grabbed the wrong needles for gauge in my enthusiasm to begin.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 8:12 AM

Anyone working on the continuous edge yet?  I am really struggling with the increases after the piece is put on two needles for the buttonholes. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Marliztay wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 9:09 AM

dianajoknits:

Hi.  The charts actually start with Row 1 so as you read the written instructions, refer to the charts to make sure you understand what's going on.  Yes, odd rows are right side (reading from right to left) and even rows are wrong side (left to right).  Be sure to "reverse" the color - white squares are knit on the RS and purl on the WS - but you know that, right? :)

The order is correct.  LF, sleeve, LB, RB, sleeve RF.  It really helps to make sure you back markers are different than your raglan markers - as the written instructions say.  I just put a small safety pin on my back markers - always gets my attention.  There has been a little confusion about the order, I think because folks are visualizing a garment that is made from the bottom up.  If you think about top down, you are knitting upside down from the neck to the hem so start with the LF.

The selvege stitch is actually ON the chart.  It's just not called or marked as a selvege stitch.  It just shows up as either a knit or purl.  Several people have decided to just ignore the selvege stitch and make it either a knit or a purl.  They feel that they get a better pick up edge that way.  So looking at the LF chart - row 29 - red line.  The first stitch is a purl.  OR you could slip it and treat it like a selvege stitch

Increases are actually on the chart, they are just not marked as M1.  They show up as an extra stitch on the row you are working on (jutting out from the row you just worked.  So look at the red line on LF, row 25.  Do you see the little jog to the right at the start of the row?  That's your M1.  I found that just using the charts (not that table) worked well.  You are correct, all of the increases are on the RS.  When you come back on the WS you will make them either a knit or a purl, depending on the chart.  I've seen many posts about the M1.  I personally like the EZ method - backward loop.  I never have holes and it's almost invisible.  But it is knitter's choice and it only has to please you.  So if you like the looks of your increased stitch, go for it.  To me, the most important thing is uniformity - do it the same way throughout. 

I took my charts and highlighted my lines.  The ipad folks have all kind of cool gizmos but I had a sharpie - and it worked ok.  I would suggest that you start at the TOP of the chart and trace your way down.  Red is the easiest to see (IMHO).  All of the little jogs are your increases.  See them?  i found that if I forgot to increase on row 1 of the 4 row pattern, I could sneak it in on row 2 and it looked fine. 

I hope this helps.  I'm almost done with my first sleeve and it was worth the headache of the first 30 rows.  They are the ones that require intense concentration.  After that, you learn the pattern and the shaping settles down and it just becomes FUN.  email me on Ravelry if you'd like

Many thanks to Dianajoknits for her lengthy responses to my questions. Please excuse my not responding immediately because I was still figuring out how to proceeed. This project has taken me a very long time to get going. But thanks for all the advice and I am now on my way.

Just on row 11, but it's making more sense. I never did any chart knitting before so I have to constantly remind myself which direction to go in, and whether the white boxes are knit or purl. I had to figure out that the divider stitches are consistent and are not on the charts. I enlarged the charts as best as I could with my printer and then cut and taped them in order. I then highlighted every 5 rows just to help me keep my place and I'm using post-its which I remove after each section then replace at the start of each new row, moving them up each time. It is all spread out on my dining room table where I have the most light and space. I am using the EZ backwards loop for all the increases, all the same and it is the easiest to keep track of and looks fine. I am doing the selvege stitches as knits and purls according to the chart.

I am doing the smallest size but heeding advice about the sleeves, I plan to use Willyknit's method of increasing the sleeves as that seems the most straightforward. Thank you Willyknit for the picture also. It helped a lot.

Here's my picture.  Remember the Tortoise and the Hare?  I'm definitely the Tortoise.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kbrownell wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 10:22 AM

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
theresiah wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 10:46 AM

At last, I made it to the laptop.  Here is photo of my yarn and sample swatch, which is perfect gauge after blocking with size 8 needles.

I am knitting in size 44 and have just arrived at the body/sleeve divide, so I will be adding the gussets.  Seems like a good plan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 86
Chris Essler wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 11:39 AM

Well if you are the Tortoise, I am the lame Tortoise. I spent every knitting moment on my vacation last week -- studying everyone's advice -- with a long row of taped charts.  I was determined to get this. I decided the wool was too fine.  I had Louet Riverstone light worsted in my stash.  So I changed to that.  Despite my care I have holes; and now I am seeing the simplified suggestions for increasing.  And I think I must frog before I go back to being a tortoise. 

I actually picked up the Bella Blouse for a break (for all you KAL'ers from last summer, that will bring a smile to your face). 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 12:01 PM

Yes, Chris, smiling broadly Big Smile

I think the increase method in part depends on the yarn. I have been picking up the bump from the row below, not the bar as others have rightly suggested. It works for me with the yarn I'm using which is lofty bouncy wool that doesn't show holes. Another time, different yarn, I would probably do the increases another way. It is great to have a choice Yes. For the record I'm on row 44 of size 44. Slow but steady Snail

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 12:07 PM

Chris Essler:

Well if you are the Tortoise, I am the lame Tortoise. I spent every knitting moment on my vacation last week -- studying everyone's advice -- with a long row of taped charts.  I was determined to get this. I decided the wool was too fine.  I had Louet Riverstone light worsted in my stash.  So I changed to that.  Despite my care I have holes; and now I am seeing the simplified suggestions for increasing.  And I think I must frog before I go back to being a tortoise. 

I actually picked up the Bella Blouse for a break (for all you KAL'ers from last summer, that will bring a smile to your face). 

Hopefully this will make you laugh - I'm working on the first sleeve (as in the body is done) and I've now realized that when I swatched my gauge I misinterpreted my stitches. Instead of going up a size of needles (because I had more stitches than I needed for the gauge) I lost my mind and went DOWN a needle size. My sweater is WAYYYYY tight. I'm trying to decide if I should continue and give the sweater to someone a little more trim than myself, or whether I should frog it all and get it right. Sigh...

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jennimpeal wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 4:40 PM

SoCalMeaghan:

Hopefully this will make you laugh - I'm working on the first sleeve (as in the body is done) and I've now realized that when I swatched my gauge I misinterpreted my stitches. Instead of going up a size of needles (because I had more stitches than I needed for the gauge) I lost my mind and went DOWN a needle size. My sweater is WAYYYYY tight. I'm trying to decide if I should continue and give the sweater to someone a little more trim than myself, or whether I should frog it all and get it right. Sigh...

Yikes!  It's somehow comforting to know that these things are universal ... they feel so existential ...

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jennimpeal wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 4:47 PM

Marliztay:

Many thanks to Dianajoknits ...   I then highlighted every 5 rows just to help me keep my place and I'm using post-its which I remove after each section then replace at the start of each new row, moving them up each time. It is all spread out on my dining room table where I have the most light and space. I am using the EZ backwards loop for all the increases, all the same and it is the easiest to keep track of and looks fine. I am doing the selvege stitches as knits and purls according to the chart.

... I plan to use Willyknit's method of increasing the sleeves as that seems the most straightforward. Thank you Willyknit for the picture also. It helped a lot.

Here's my picture.  Remember the Tortoise and the Hare?  I'm definitely the Tortoise.

Hi, Marliztay

Thanks for your post-it idea and for the photo - I see you've shaded out the irrelevant portions of the patterns.  Easier on the eyes!  I'm also grateful to Dianaoknits and Williknits - love the backward-loop increase stitches and gusset plan.  I'll go back and review when I get there ...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
km.k33 wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 7:57 PM

I WAS FELTING WHILE I KNIT. With the hot weather and high humidity the moist hands and the friction from knitting ,tinking, frogging, reknitting  X4, I was felting my knitting. I experimented with different increases; I decided to use lifted increase and KFB depending on the situation. So, finally I have finished row 28.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mamadush wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 10:06 PM

Hello fellow knitters,  I am very late, but still going to join you in this adventure.  I too loved this jacket when I saw it in my magazine.  This KAL is pushing me to try something new.  I have my yarn on order.  I expect to get it in a couple of days.  I chose an allspice color in Swish worsted.  It was on sale, but it also caught my eye.  I am stepping out of my comfort zone for colors, but it is all the rage this year.  I have used Swish before and am familiar with how it knits up.  I have already swatched with leftovers from before.  I will go up a needle size to get gauge.  I have also read a lot of the respondents and I am slightly concerned with the directions.  Can't wait to start. 

Page 39 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  37 38 39 40 41  Next >  ... Last » | RSS