THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 3:33 PM

DoreenG@2:

I have tried several times to put in a picture but it will not take insert what am i doing wrong please help

Just to make sure we're all on the same page: you started your message, and then you went to the menu bar just above the text and clicked on the icon of a film strip that says "insert media". You did that, and up came a dialog box letting you browse your files to select the file of your picture, and once you selected the file you clicked on Insert and then nothing happened?

I can think of two problems - one is that the little dialog box comes up with the "max width" set to 550 pixels, and maybe your picture is wider than that. The other is that your picture is in a file format that the computer doesn't like. Make sure it is a jpg file and that it is less than 550 pixels wide.

If that doesn't work, I'm sorry, but I can't help after all. Anybody else wanting to give it a try? Another possibility is that my "max height" box comes up populated with a "0" - maybe you have to change that to a number that is at least the height of your picture.

Good luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 5:31 PM

Hi Doreen,

When you see the box "size" try putting in the Max Width number at "250" and leave the other Max Height number at "0".  I do and it doesn't seem to matter.  Once you get the pic in here you can even right click on it to re-size.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kpjohnston wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 7:17 PM

Thought I'd give a try to uploading pictures.  I'm only on row 32, but had to 'try it on' anyway.  The alpaca has a slight 'sheen' that doesn't show up well in pictures.  It's soooo soft!  Like many of you, I've taken over the dining room table. Big Smile

I'll throw into the ongoing 'increases' thought pool:  I'm using M1R (knit/purl) or M1L (knit/purl) to match the pattern's right- or left-leaning slopes for each piece.  I agree it probably won't matter since the broken rib pattern creates alot of fluid movement.  After the first time wearing the jacket, any gaps or unevenness will start to work out as the yarn loops slide around. -kj

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 9:41 AM

OMG - I have knit and ripped the continuous border 5 times.  I have emailed the designer.  I am totally befuddled.  I keep making sketches and charts to try to figure it out.  And I'm making another attempt.  but I am not hopeful.  When someone gets to this part, PLEASE help me.  And hurry Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 9:48 AM

dianajoknits:

OMG - I have knit and ripped the continuous border 5 times.  I have emailed the designer.  I am totally befuddled.  I keep making sketches and charts to try to figure it out.  And I'm making another attempt.  but I am not hopeful.  When someone gets to this part, PLEASE help me.  And hurry Smile

I'm working on the sleeve cuff now so will be looking to start the continuous border this weekend. What's your hold up? I've got a bottle of champagne on tabs by to help me figure it out. Maybe we can tough it out together!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 10:09 AM

SoCalMeaghan:

dianajoknits:

I'm working on the sleeve cuff now so will be looking to start the continuous border this weekend. What's your hold up? I've got a bottle of champagne on tabs by to help me figure it out. Maybe we can tough it out together!

I've done one sleeve into the cuff, enough to do an 8-row repeat of Roman Rib, but set aside to re-think sleeves after doing the Continuous Border.  Completed just the first 2 rounds of Continuous Border done, and no trouble perceived...YET.  First of all, I did not slip the front edge stitches, so I did a pickup ratio of 2 st every 3 rows, then pick up every BO st along neckline, as well as my live st along the bottom.  All those picked up st fit fine on my 40" circ. 

What are you struggling with?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
on Jul 13, 2012 10:13 AM

dianajoknits:

Dianajoknits, I am still knitting the body. But it has me worried that you are having such difficulty figuring out the continuous border. I did read ahead, and it did not seem easy to understand.

- Henny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
dianajoknits wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 10:44 AM

hennyknitting:

dianajoknits:

Dianajoknits, I am still knitting the body. But it has me worried that you are having such difficulty figuring out the continuous border. I did read ahead, and it did not seem easy to understand.

- Henny

well, we have a large group of talented knitters and they are most likley smarter than me.  So i feel confident that we'll be able to figure it out as a group.  I sort of get the gist of what she's doing (mitered corners) and I think that my picking up row and the first 8 rows are correct but I had to rely on experience rather than the instructions.  When I compare what I did to the pattern, I think they are the same.  What I can't understand is the buttonhole part.  So I've tried several different theories.  I will let you know how the current theory works out.  In the meantime - everyone knit faster LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 11:22 AM

dianajoknits:
What I can't understand is the buttonhole part.  So I've tried several different theories.  I will let you know how the current theory works out.  In the meantime - everyone knit faster LOL

Oh good, hope you get there before I do!  I read ahead on that.  It looks like we start knitting the Continuous Border for several rounds, then work the front placket seperately for several rows, and the rest of the border seperately for the same several rows, rejoing later which creates a "buttonhole" gap for those rows worked seperately. Clever...but if it is too confusing, can always do an in-row buttonhole at the top corner of neckline...  And I still don't see where it explains a second buttonhole (to match the 2 buttons in materials list).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 11:50 AM

Hi ArtfulSoul,

I remember the ? being raised by someone earlier about the second button.  I am wondering the same thing, just curious!Whisper

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
AdeleDS wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 12:07 PM

dianajoknits:

I'm not there yet, but I'm already doing the math because I've lengthened the body, and that meant I added a few more stitches at centre back (because I kept up the shaping pattern). So now I have to go back to the continuous edge pattern and re-jig all the stitch numbers so the buttonholes are in the right place, and then see if I need to jiggle them a little bit more so the Roman Rib pattern doesn't get disrupted.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 12:14 PM

AdeleDS:

I'm not there yet, but I'm already doing the math because I've lengthened the body, and that meant I added a few more stitches at centre back (because I kept up the shaping pattern). So now I have to go back to the continuous edge pattern and re-jig all the stitch numbers so the buttonholes are in the right place, and then see if I need to jiggle them a little bit more so the Roman Rib pattern doesn't get disrupted.

I also customized everything in length and width.  But luckily the Roman Rib pattern is so simple and only a 2-st repeat over 8 rows, don't think we'll have any trouble for mods!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Kaffers wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 12:21 PM

well, i for one am going to THOROUGHLY enjoy finishing thWinke body! the only easy partBig Smile! i hope to build up stamina for tackling the  border! Good luck i will be eagerly awaiting the solution!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 3:42 PM

For those of you way ahead of row 45 (which I am on)....Is it really necessary to have two 40" circulars?  I am having trouble finding good 40" circulars.  I am using a 32" now and it's getting mighty cramped, and I have over 20 rows to go before the sleeve separation.   I ordered one cheap 40" circular from ekinttingneedles.com and they are pretty bad.  I have not switched to them, yet, because I'm not sure they will even work.  I will try them soon, but in the mean time wondered if two 40"ers are really necessary.  I am knitting one of the larger Pan Ams...the 44 3/4" one, so more stitches than the smaller ones.  So, I'm thinking I will need them for the border?  Lynne aka imalulu

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jul 13, 2012 5:26 PM

imalulu:

For those of you way ahead of row 45 (which I am on)....Is it really necessary to have two 40" circulars?  I am having trouble finding good 40" circulars.  I am using a 32" now and it's getting mighty cramped, and I have over 20 rows to go before the sleeve separation.   I ordered one cheap 40" circular from ekinttingneedles.com and they are pretty bad.  I have not switched to them, yet, because I'm not sure they will even work.  I will try them soon, but in the mean time wondered if two 40"ers are really necessary.  I am knitting one of the larger Pan Ams...the 44 3/4" one, so more stitches than the smaller ones.  So, I'm thinking I will need them for the border?  Lynne aka imalulu

Hi Lynne, I was fine with a set of 16", 24" and 40", one each.  Working a modified 44" also, so needed just one 40" for upper body, then 24" was more comfortable for body below sleeves, and 16" worked for sleeves.  Now back on 40" (just one) fits my Continuous Border. 

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Page 41 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  39 40 41 42 43  Next >  ... Last » | RSS