THE OFFICIAL PAN-AM JACKET KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 1,017 Replies | 79 Followers rated by 12 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 2:14 PM

My yarn finally came in.  Yeah.  Now I have lots of reading to do before I get started.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote

My yarn finally came in.  Yeah.  Now I have lots of reading to do before I get started.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 2:19 PM

Finally my yarn came in.  I chose Plymouth Encore Dark Wedgewood.  Now I have lots of reading to do and hopefully will get to start today.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Gina4462 wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 2:20 PM

What the heck happened?  Sorry for all the posts.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 4:37 PM

I finished the sleeves ( I did long sleeves) and worked the roman rib facing in a thinner yarn and one needle size down( 5 instead of 6). The facing seems a little full but will probably be ok after blocking.  

For the continuous border I'll go to a size 4 with the thinner yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Linda@46 wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 4:37 PM

I finished the sleeves ( I did long sleeves) and worked the roman rib facing in a thinner yarn and one needle size down( 5 instead of 6). The facing seems a little full but will probably be ok after blocking.  

For the continuous border I'll go to a size 4 with the thinner yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
daylecrain wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 8:52 PM

My final question is one regarding the buttonholes.  What method (s) did you use to attach the facing to the front at the buttonhole?  I am not happy with the way I did mine.  I used the yarn and did a little whip stitch on one and tried the buttonhole stitch on the other.  Neither one looks really great.  I plan to make another Pan Am jacket so I am hoping someone who was successful can enlighten me.  Did anyone using regular sewing thread?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 9:15 PM

daylecrain:

My final question is one regarding the buttonholes.  What method (s) did you use to attach the facing to the front at the buttonhole?  I am not happy with the way I did mine.  I used the yarn and did a little whip stitch on one and tried the buttonhole stitch on the other.  Neither one looks really great.  I plan to make another Pan Am jacket so I am hoping someone who was successful can enlighten me.  Did anyone using regular sewing thread?

I used the same yarn, and tried to mostly hide the tacking by catching "under" the facing stitches and the back of Border, joining the open facing corners.. Around the buttonholes, I actually needed to reinforce for size, and did that at the same time.  I pretty much assume none of it will be seen as I would be buttoning all the time...but see what you mean, that it risks not being a clean finish.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JudyG@11 wrote
on Aug 11, 2012 7:44 AM

marhar:

Does anyone know how to go to a certain page in the posts?  I have marked several pages and some favorites, but I don't know how to go to a specific page.  It is very time-consuming to find the page you want.  Thanks.

harmar

If you know the specific page, look in the adress at the top of your web browser; i.e., www.knittingdaily, etc.  The very end will have a number...that is the page number.

Judy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
misswillie wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 8:52 AM

Am joing my first knit along but am very discouraged following this pattern and directions. Would like more specific directions as to where the shaping stitches fit in, etc. 

Will perservere as my daughter for whom I'm knitting this, but find these directions the MOST difficult to integrate with the charts I have ever come across.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
theresiah wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 10:22 AM

Please know that we were all frustrated at the beginning.  If you look at the first few pages of posts, you will see various approaches to understanding the pattern.  Important! you need to download the updated charts.  I found it easiest to work from the charts instead of written directions until the sleeve division - and by then, I pretty much had the pattern memorized.  There are several posts with pictures of how people set up their charts.  I used an iPad app called Penultimate to create a little booklet of the PDF pages, which I could mark up as needed to keep track of what row I was on.

It takes a while to read those first posts but it really is worth it.  Hang in there.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
kathleenster wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 5:04 AM

finished last night :-)

has anyone considered a buttonhole stitch on the button hole?

Also what about double buttons, So there are 2 buttons on the front (buttons sewn on both sided).  Has anyone considered this?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Aug 14, 2012 9:33 AM

I totally agree that the directions are very frustrating but once you get over the early hurdles, I think you will be happy with the pattern - I am surprised at how nicely mine is turning out. I think this is going to be my most professional looking project yet.

My suggestion is to forget that the directions that tell you how often to increase and just follow the chart since it has the increases on  it. Personally I found there were things that were never resolved such as the thing about slipping the first stitch that was supposed to be a purl at the beginning of each row. And I made the middle size (sorry I am not near my knitting so I can't be specific) and I think the directions for the first couple of rows were just wrong.But hang in there - it definitely gets better! And this KAL has been a big help!

One suggestion I have not seen yet - once I got a few inches past where the arms divide, I stopped knitting the body and started on the arms and this worked well. I don't have the weight of the entire sweater plus it's not getting so twisted. Also - do the arms on two circular needles - much easier than a single needle. (I have not mastered DPNs) And it's easy even if you have not done this before because you don't have to worry about casting on and making sure the project does not get twisted. The arms have gone very quickly and the cuff looks very nice. Followed suggestions - went down two needle sizes and doing in knit 1, purl 1 rib.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
SoCalMeaghan wrote
on Aug 14, 2012 6:39 PM

misswillie:

Am joing my first knit along but am very discouraged following this pattern and directions. Would like more specific directions as to where the shaping stitches fit in, etc. 

Will perservere as my daughter for whom I'm knitting this, but find these directions the MOST difficult to integrate with the charts I have ever come across.

Hi MissWillie (cute name)!

I had another knitter write to me and I think the below that I sent back to her was helpful. The shaping charts were super confusing as were the slip stitches, etc. so I think this is helpful:

Assuming you've done the first two rows and you now have 2 st, RM, 4 div. st, RM, etc. (for 37 1/2").  Looking at the pattern for your size, you should have a knit stitch, a purl stitch and then the first RM. You have to get from these two stitches to 4 stitches in one row. Here's what I did:
Starting on the Left Front for Row 3 (since we're knitting top down it's backwards to what we think it should be):
  1. {Left Front Chart} Slip the first stitch (a knit stitch) as the selvage. Then M1 knit-wise (I use the lifted bar, Ktb method). Then P1. Then M1 purl-wise. This should give you 4 stitches on the needle now (1 selvage, one knit, and two purls). Following this, should be your RM. 
  2. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} Knit 1, purl 2, knit 1.
  3. {Sleeve} M1 purl-wise, P1, K2, P3, K2, P1, M1 purl-wise  (you should have increased by 2 st).
  4. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} Knit 1, purl 2, knit 1.
  5. {Left Back Chart} M1 purl-wise, P1, K2, P3... and continue to end of row (you should have increased by 1 st)
  6. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} Knit 1, purl 2, knit 1.
  7. {Right Back Chart} P2, K2, P2, K2, P3, K2, P1, M1 purl-wise (you should have increased by 1 st)
  8. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} Knit 1, purl 2, knit 1.
  9. {Sleeve} M1 purl-wise, P1, K2, P3, K2, P1, M1 purl-wise  (you should have increased by 2 st).
  10. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} Knit 1, purl 2, knit 1.
  11. {Right Front Chart} M1 purl-wise, P1, M1 knit-wise, K1.   (you should have increased by 2 st).
If you count your stitches and RM and div. st's you should have the following:
4 st | RM | 4 div. st | RM | 11 st | RM | 4 div. st | RM | 15 st | RM | 4 div. st | RM | 15 st | RM | 4 div. st | RM | 11 st | RM | 4 div. st | RM | 4 st
Coming back on Row 4:
  1. {Right Front Chart} Slip the first stitch for selvage, knit the knits, purl the purls.
  2. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} P1, K2, K1.
  3. {Sleeve} Knit the knits, purl the purls.
  4. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} P1, K2, K1.
  5. {Right Back Chart} Knit the knits, purl the purls.
  6. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} P1, K2, K1.
  7. {Left Back Chart}  Knit the knits, purl the purls.
  8. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} P1, K2, K1.
  9. {Sleeve} Knit the knits, purl the purls.
  10. {Divider St - NOT shown on pattern} P1, K2, K1.
  11. {Left Front Chart}  Knit the knits, purl the purls.
I think the most important things to know:
  1. The selvage stitches ARE shown on the pattern, but are not noted. Basically, slip the first stitch of each row as a selvage. i.e.: Row 3 should only have 4 stitches, and of those 4, the first stitch is the selvage (even though it's shown as a "Knit" st).
  2. All M1 stitches are done on RS rows only.
    1. In the Left front chart any M1's are made either immediately following the selvage stitch or right before the RM. 
    2. In the Right front chart any M1's are made either immedately following the RM or right before the last st.
    3. In the Left Back and Right Back charts and Sleeves, any M1's are done either immediately following or immediately before the RM.
  3. While the Divider St are not shown in the charts, they are what occur between each set of RM's so don't let those discourage you. They become second nature once you get to them. 

Hope this is helpful. If you've sorted it all out and this is redundant I'm really sorry. 

Page 56 of 68 (1018 items) « First ...  < Previous  54 55 56 57 58  Next >  ... Last » | RSS