Measuring armholes.

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 1, 2012 9:35 AM

I'm self taught at knitting, crocheting, and sewing. I'm knitting my very first sweater (set-in sleeve) for my husband. He's very picky and won't wear it if it doesn't look good. I watch Knitting Daily religiously and I can't remember if the series has shown us how to measure the armhole properly. 1)  Do I bend the measuring tape/ruler in the curve of the underarm from the top of the upper back to the underarm,  2) fold the upper back down to the underarm point and measure from the middle of the back of garment top of fold DOWN to the top of the folded upper back point?  I'm not sure if I'm making any sense of this but I have "tinked" each piece (arms, back, front, etc.) so many times that I just want to get something right on this sweater the first time around. HELP!  I would be very grateful to have someone just tell me what to do to get this sweater done by measuring the armhole right.             Thank you,  Debbie of  Salt Lake City

debdertiff@comcast.net

P.S. Where do I find blocking mats/wires? I can't seem to find these items anywhere. Am I even using the right names of these items?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 3:51 AM

Don't bend the tape around the armhole. I think the second choice is the right one, if I understand correctly. What I do is to mark the row with the first armhole bind off, at a place somewhere near the center of the back (at least somewhere away from the armhole decreases) and on later rows, measure from there up to the working needle. You could also measure this distance on a similar sweater that your husband likes to wear instead of just relying on the pattern instructions.

Knit Picks has blocking mats and, perhaps, wires..

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS