front load vs. top load

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
sashby wrote
on Oct 28, 2008 8:32 AM

Hi there,

I am thinking of replacing my old top-load washing machine with a front-loader, but wondered if anyone has noticed a difference between the two when felting?  Obviously I'm not going to be able to remove the piece before the rinse cycle (but I rarely manage to do that now) but does the absence of an agitator make a difference?

Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
k2tog wrote
on Oct 28, 2008 12:28 PM

I have been using my front loader to felt many things.  You can always stop the wash cycle and open the door to see your progress on the piece, then close the door and start cycle.  Just have a bucket in front of the washer because it will be soaked.  I also can drain the water and set it to rinse on cold but do not spin.  I just stop the washer again and remove the piece, place in a bucket and then towel squeeze and shape.  Works like a charm.  I have the Kenmore Elite HE3t series and it allows me to stop and open the door.  You can always cancel the cycle.  Just make sure you get a machine that allows you the flexibility to felt.  Have fun.....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Oct 31, 2008 10:21 PM

Hi...

Just thought I'de add a little bit here. Some time ago I asked our appliance repair person about some of this. He said just to be sure + buy a washer with:

"Add a garment" feature.

I was also interested in being able to open the washer to check on colorfastness + whether I had managed to remove "perfumy" smells from a garment....as well as being able to felt. Not sure if all brands call it the same thing...we too have a Kenmore. This is a top-loader..but our next will be a front-loader.

Take Care,   Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 2
acostley1 wrote
on Nov 1, 2008 6:02 AM

I have used my frontloader for felting - worked great. I would add a couple of old well worn pairs of jeans to add friction. I too was concerned about being able to check progress. Was not sure how to check in midcycle. If I was concerned, I would run a shorter cycle and drain the water after the wash portion was completed.

Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
KimberlyK wrote
on Nov 1, 2008 1:01 PM

I have a Maytag front loader that I have used for felting. It has worked well. Also I have never had a problem with water running out of my machine and onto the floor when I pause it and open it mid cycle. Which may just be different machines.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
ryannn wrote
on Jun 14, 2010 11:51 AM

i agree

i am a pay per click consultant. i help people market their site

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS