From goat to scarf and a free pattern

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Dec 9, 2008 11:00 AM

Hey, we just posted a free pattern for a quick and easy scarf.  It is perfect for gift giving.  There is also an accompanying streamed video showing a handspun version of the scarf being made--from goat to scarf.  

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SharonS@9 Smile [:)] wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 9:15 AM

I just registered by replying... Cool!  I have not used a forum site before and have already found usefull information. This weaving pattern is simple for beginners and could also easily made with variations once the basics are mastered.  Different fibers  types and colors would be interesting and possibly also pickup or leno.  The goat viedeo was fun too.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
JE Martin wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 7:09 AM

I loved the bag patterns Handwoven supplied last year online. This year is the scarf year.

I've just put a scarf on my 8H Schact loom, using 6 shafts. Its a rayon chenille + supplementary eyelash yarn warp, woven with chenille. At first, the eyelash tried to be a problem with opening a shed - and there are only 14 ends of it! Its calmed down some, but I need to be vigilent, as both yarns are sticky. I also think I'll need to cut & re-tye the yarn after the first is done to correct tension - the eyelash seems to be getting tighter as I go on.

Happy Weaving to All! - Joan in Jamestown

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 9:40 AM

If you use to yarns that have a different "stretch" factor it can help to weigh the supplementary warp separately to accomidate the difference. However, since your warp is on the loom you could use s-hooks to weight the warp if that is feasible.

I've also have some luck with spray starch or leave in conditioner for helping with sticky warps.  

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Not Ranked
Posts 13
JE Martin wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 6:36 AM

The tension problem seems to be in the supplementary ends - they are becoming tighter. I could slip a dowel under the chenille and weight that a bit more. I'm just 36" in on the scarf & have another 36" left to weave. When I cut off & re-tie I can devise something a bit better.

My studio does have its own can of hair spray, which can help tame a wild warp as well.

Happy Weaving to All! - Joan in Jamestown

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jan 6, 2010 3:35 PM

Liz,

I've joined the revolution. I bought my rigid heddle loom and later became the proud 4th owner of a used floor loom. My scarves are moving. My cloth is progressing. After 20 or so years my spinning is being used for more than just knitting.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
AlpacaYarns wrote
on Jan 14, 2012 9:01 AM

Love the patterns! I haven't done any weaving for a while but I'm anxious to get back into it. I recently purchased some handspun, hand dyed yarn from someone on Etsy.com and I'd love to weave something from it, as it's a really special yarn.

Spinning Alpaca Yarns - Visit my knitting blog for free patterns and resources

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS