left handed knitting instructions

This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
JillG@13 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 9:04 AM

Hi:   This is the first time I have looked in the forums...and came upon this question.    I was also a left-handed knitter...when I first started to knit about 10 years ago.... and it was fine for scarves, blankets, anything with no shaping that you didn't have to think about.

Then when I started to read patterns in earnest I found it very difficult to transpose the directions for knitting techniques ..... maybe because my mind just does not work that wayConfused......

So, my first hand advice is to teach your friend to knit right-handed ..... she can do it if I can do it!!!   My knitting has been much more enjoyable now that I don't have to "think" about it so much and I can teach myself to do any techniques much more easily from the books.

It just takes some getting used to and then you're off......

Not Ranked
Posts 2
darcee46 wrote
on Apr 2, 2010 11:39 PM

I'm a leftie and find following right handed directions very confusing.  My knit  my stich doesn't come out in a V shape.  One side overlaps the other in the bottom.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrgng. .  I tried knitting  right handed and my tension gets all off.  I still can't figure out the cast on.  I have to do it left handed and then try to switch it over to try to knit right handed  I don't feel so bad when my right handed friends try to knit left handed and can't.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
darcee46 wrote
on Apr 2, 2010 11:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD.  I'm left handed and  so lost.  It's easy to say just do it right handed but all my right handed friends are just as frustrated when they try to show me left handed.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 3, 2010 12:24 AM

darcee46:

I'm a leftie and find following right handed directions very confusing.  My knit  my stich doesn't come out in a V shape.  One side overlaps the other in the bottom.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrgng. .  I tried knitting  right handed and my tension gets all off.  I still can't figure out the cast on.  I have to do it left handed and then try to switch it over to try to knit right handed  I don't feel so bad when my right handed friends try to knit left handed and can't.

Hi Darcee,

Which way are you trying to learn to knit?  I do not mean left handed or right handed.  Are you trying to learn to knit the normal way for the continental knitting?  This way is much easier to learn for those who are left handed because the yarn is held in your left hand and you can use the left index finger for yarn overs and manoevering the yarn.  Both left handed and right handed people find this is such an easy way to learn to knit.  Also, don't be discouraged because many people take a lot of time and projects in order to get their knitting down right.

I will try to find you a web site/you tube video to learn the continental way of knitting.  When it comes to knitting there is no left hand knitting and right hand knitting.  It is just knitting.  My brother is left handed and does everything but write with his right hand.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 3, 2010 12:33 AM

Hi Darcee,

Read through the written instructions on this web site before you actually start watching the video.  I would suggest that you bring two knitting needles and some yarn with you so you can actually follow along with the video once you have watched it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Good luck with all this and let me know how you make out.  Knitting can be so rewarding and fun.  Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 3, 2010 12:33 AM

Hi Darcee,

Read through the written instructions on this web site before you actually start watching the video.  I would suggest that you bring two knitting needles and some yarn with you so you can actually follow along with the video once you have watched it.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knit-stitch

Good luck with all this and let me know how you make out.  Knitting can be so rewarding and fun.  Zoe Smile

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS