standard weight symbols

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Dec 29, 2008 11:52 AM

Hello - I'm new to this - exciting to get a chance to talk with knitsters!

I've been reading "Knitted Jackets" by Cheryl Oberle - one of my favorite teachers and designers - and love several patterns. I've several yarns in my stash that might work, but they were made before those standards (the numbers 1 thru 6) were started. So I'm wondering if there is any place you could send me to see if I can figure out what numbers fit my stash yarns?

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about stash busting that much, except that I've got a new dog who loves yarn. I used to leave it around, displayed in pretty baskets, but that's not an option any more. So everything I've managed to save from the Monster is now stored safely - but I'm out of room! 

Thanks for your help!

Leslie

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Chris wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 1:21 PM

4 is medium and probably 4 ply worsted, 5 is chunky/bulky, sport/dk is 3 ply and is probably 3, my lace weight is 1/superfine, sock yarn i have heard compared to fingering and is bigger than lace. You can see how overlaps make it confusing.

0 lace = fingering

1 superfine = sock/fingering/baby

2 fine = sport/baby

3 light = dk/light worsted

4 medium = worsted/aran/afghan

5 bulky = chunky/craft/rug

6 super bulky = bulky/roving

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 10:37 PM

Hi Leslie...

I've found this chart to be very helpful. Not all yarns have the #'s. As well...we all have a "bit" of stash some of which is probably "vintage"...no #'s...I know I do!!!  Plus some yarns fr other countries may have different labels.

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

I keep a copy of this in one of my pattern binders + find it helpful. As well, the site has other charts such as sizing, etc. Links on the left hand side.

Take care,    Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Leslie h.H wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Thanks, Andrea! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

Knit on - Leslie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
SherryP wrote
on Jan 6, 2009 6:25 AM

Thanks from me, too, Andrea! I bookmarked the yarn weight page on my browser (odd, I've started a "Needlecrafts" bookmark folder. Does this suggest I'm obsessed? Tongue Tied I also have a stash of yarn from long before the present sorting system was developed.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS