I'm back!

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 12:16 PM

To all my knitting buddies here at knitting daily, I'm back in the world of knitting.  A friend once asked me, if you had to leave suddenly, what knitting supplies would you take.  I had to think hard, since I have so many.  Well this last month answered that question for me.  For the last few weeks, we have been under a severe fire watch.  There was a large fire that threatened the small town of White Salmon Washington which is only 30 miles or so from us.  With the dry grass and timber, it wouldn't take long for a fire to cover that ground and be on my back step. Nature was very kind, the wind died down and the 2 days of dead calm let the firefighters get it under control.  It's pretty well out now.  The other big one is on the west slope of Mt. Adams and the smoke from that one is circling around in the valley where I live.  I don't know what the progress of that one is.  Fortunately there is an entire mountain between the fire and us.  Even so, I still have several knitting bags packed and ready to grab if necessary.  First on the list is all my needles, including straights, DP's and interchangeables.  I didn't realize how many sets I had.  I also grabbed both of my Ann Budd basic pattern books as well as my 2 interweave lace knitting books that are no longer in print and my 3 book harmony guide to knitting and a few new magazines that I had just purchased.  I grabbed a couple projects I was finishing as well as some newly purchased lace wt yarn for some designs I was working on and the finished shawl with the pattern went into my laptop computer bag.  I figured most everything else could be replaced fairly easy.  Still it was a hard decision to make.  I hope I don't have to do it again any time soon.  So now I am back in the group. 

Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 659
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 4:47 AM

Welcome back! I'm glad the fires were contained. I was near (though not threatened by) the Oakland fire 20 years ago. For months I'd meet people in my LYS who were replacing knitting projects lost in the fire. Nice to hear a happier outcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 26, 2012 3:10 PM

The fire threat is still there.  The fire on Mt. Adams is up to 15,000 acres.  Fortunately it is headed away from us.  I'm still praying for rain.  Life is finally getting back to normal but the fire danger is still high.  We dodged the bullet this time.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 12:53 PM

good morning mary, 

so sorry you have been forced to deal with all this as you described.  truly so many people want to be free of this type of stress.  I am hoping you get the rain quickly.  Hope you can get back to normal soon. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Nov 27, 2012 1:03 PM

Tongue Tied   WOW, that is a really tiny amount of knitting stuff to take with you! And I don't even know whether I'm being ironic or not, because let's get real, what knitter would not do exactly what you did and try to pack pretty much EVERYTHING?

While reading your post, my mind was racing about what sort of compact carry-all carry-easy packaging I should invest in, so that I can also grab my entire knitting life and run if I have to.

It's probably not funny.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 5:48 PM

Hi,

It may seem like a small amount, but I decided to take the most expensive to replace items in my knitting stash.  It was a difficult decision and one I hope I don't have to make again, any time soon.  As for the type of bag, I used a standard Jan Sport, leather bottom backpack that I had.  You'd be surprised how much you can fit into one. 

If you are looking for some great stash bags, check out the websites for DellaQ , Lantern Moon, and Namaste.  They make great bags and knitting accessories. 

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Juanita12345 wrote
on Aug 16, 2013 4:06 AM

512-203-7891

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS