Help needed with reading Purslane Beret pattern in Fall 2012 issue of Knitscene

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
NovelKnit wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 4:57 PM

I'm having trouble understanding how to read the graphic pattern for the beret.  I understand the CO8 stiches but when the instructions say "Work Rows 1-9 of hat" and the pattern graphic starts with just 1 knit stitch on what looks like 3 different rounds, I'm confused.  I've never knit a top down hat before but I like the idea.  Help please?  Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 687
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 4:58 AM

I don't have the pattern but is it possible that the graph is only showing you one section of the top? It looks like the sections are repeated 8 times around the beret stating with one stitch in each section. Take a look at the notes at the very beginning or with the chart and see if they mention the repeat.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/purslane-beret-and-cowl/people

Not Ranked
Posts 4
NovelKnit wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 7:41 PM

That could be the case but if that's so, since the pattern calls for an initial CO of 8 stitches and the graphic starts with what looks like 3 rows of knit, and the YO doesn't begin until the 4th row (YO and regular knit stitch in that row, i.e., 2 stitches).  Since  the graphic shows 2 stitches in row 4 but if it represents only 1/8th of the pattern repeat, it seems like I should have 16 stitches by row 4 but I haven't done any increases in row 1-3 so how would I have 16 stitches in row 4?  Also, the marker isn't shown until row 5 where there are 3 stitches indicated in that row (i.e., by the end of row 5, I'm at the 8stitches CO).  Starting at row 5, there is a marker indication every other row with a note that at the end of each of these rounds, I should move the marker, k1, and replace the maker.  There is another note that says 1 to 24 st repeat.  Is this the repeat that you mentioned?  How does that work since I CO8?  I'm sorry if I'm seeming kind of dense. I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Sep 18, 2012 10:07 PM

Hi NovelKnit,

The graffic only shows 1/8 of the beret, that means the other 7 parts are exactly the same pattern. In the graffic indicates where to make the increases in each part. Whenever you have to make an increase, you have to make it eight times, of course following the stitch pattern.

Please, be patient. When you don´t understant something, you have to read it over and practice until it is understood.

Enjoy your knitting!!!!!

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
NovelKnit wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 7:33 PM

Thanks!  I think I get it now!  I can't wait to get started.  Thanks for your help!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 7:44 PM

Hi NovelKnit,

Have you already made your swatch? It is VERY IMPORTANT. Otherwise, your beret won't fit you.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 3:44 PM

Hi Merlich! 

It's just me.  I was wondering where you have been and what has kept you so busy?  I missed you here because you were posting quite often and then not so much, so I figured your schedule got involved.  Have you been doing a bit of knitting?  How are YOU?  Hoping no illness or anything like that. 

I know you must have some projects to post pics of?  I always enjoyed them so much.  Hope to hear from you.  And how's your little doggie!  hugs. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 8:20 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Hello ZassZ!!!!! Thank you, I've missed you too!!!! Yes, I've been busy: my dog caught an eye infection and a skin infection too. It was very painful for all of us to see him suffer. Fortunately, he is over with the skin infection but the eye infection is still there. He is already under medical treatment and he is doing well, thank you very much. I am very well, thank you. How are you? I haven't read all the posts at the "Fabulous..." yet. I know I'll find a lot of beautiful surprises from you and from all the followers of that thread.

Yes, you are right. I have some projects. They are already in the weaving ends process, not ready to pic. As soon as I finish them I'll upload the pics in our beloved "Fabulous...". Meanwhile, we can have our lovely and interesting posts.

Hugs and Kisses, Merlich.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 12:11 PM

Hi Merlich,

Ohhh, so sorry to hear about your little dog's illness.  He hopefully will finish recuperating and be fine quickly.  Then he'll be back to his little self and all happy again!  At least he is receiving a lot of love and affection from you and family members along with his medical care.  Those of us who have pets understand it can require extra time to care for their needs, but it is so worth it.  My heart goes out to you all. 

I am so happy you did see my post to you though and thank you, I am fine.  Thanks for referring to our thread with such tender affection!  It is dear to us isn't it?  In closing, I will say that I, as well as others surely are looking forward to your pics and posts. 

Take care xoxox

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS