where can i find a great set of knitting needles?

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
katielea wrote
on Sep 20, 2012 12:44 PM

Hi! 

I just joined the forum as i am just getting back into knitting. I was thinking that maybe i would ask for a new set of needles for christmas this year but i'm having trouble finding just what i'm looking for. i want a set of dpn's and spn's in large and small sizes. it would be great if i could get them in one set with a case but two sets would be acceptable too. i don't want interchangable needles. Does anyone know where i can find this?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Boatner wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 1:06 PM

Go to Kollage Yarns.  They have square needles  that are so much easier on the hands.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Boatner wrote
on Sep 21, 2012 1:06 PM

Go to Kollage Yarns.  They have square needles  that are so much easier on the hands.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 9:20 PM

I have just the solution for you.  www.knitpicks.com.  They carry their own line of needles in doublepoints, straights, fixed and interchangeable circulars.  Their prices are much more reasonable than Kollage and and the needles come in 3 different materials, Laminated Birch, Nickle Plated and Acrylic.  The Laminated Birch comes in two styles, Harmony Multicolored and SunKissed Pale.  These are solid needles with sharp almost stiletto type tips.  You can order individual needles or order the sets.  I have a full set of the interchangeables in the Harmony laminate birch as well as the sock needle set they have.  The sock needle set is sizes 0, 1, 1 1/2,  2, 2 1/2, and 3.  You get 6 sizes of  needles  for $30 to $38, depending on the length of the needles in the Harmony and Sunkissed style. The sock set in the Nickle Plated are $35.  These doublepoints come as a set of 6 needles per size.  All of Knit Picks doublepoints  come in sets of 6 in the smaller sizes and 5 in the larger sizes.  Their sets of straights only come in the wooden Harmony and Sunkissed.  They come in both 10" and 14" lengths.  The sets are sizes 4 through 11 and come in a cloth case.  The 10" set is $75 and the 14" is $100.  They also offer a try it set for $20.  It is 1 set of each of their styles, Harmony Laminated Birch, Zephyr Clear Acrylic and the Nickle-Plated tips in sizes 6,7, and 8, one set of the 24" cables, 4 end caps and a locking tool.  I use the interchangeables as both circular and straight so much that I very seldom use my regular straights except for small projects. 

Hopes this help.  They also carry some really luscious yarns at reasonable prices and there is free shipping on orders over $40.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 614
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 6:36 AM

Do you know what kind of material you like for your needles? People prefer nickel plated, acrylic, bamboo, wood or something else entirely depending on the style of knitting they use. You may even prefer one kind of needle for one project (say silky yarn) and a different needle for another yarn (wool). Why not try some different kinds before taking the plunge on an entire set? You might even give circular needles a try. They're very easy on your hands, hold large numbers of sts easily and don't irritate your seatmates on long airline flights.

Good luck with your search. Some good ideas in the previous posts!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 10:58 PM

Thanks for the giggle.  I love the comment about not irritating your seat mates on long flights.  :-)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS