Newbie Who Needs Help!

This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 22, 2012 4:44 PM

Hello everyone, I am not only new to Knitting Daily but I am also new to the world of knitting. I just learned to knit stitch and I am in the process of learning to purl stitch. I am at the point where I want to challenge myself a little more and actually begin a project. What project would be the best for a beginner? I am still not sure about the gauge. How do I go about getting it? Please help! Thank you! By the way, I do have a knitting blog that I use to document my knitting journey http://sknittenmittens.blogspot.com/. Helpful hints and comments are greatly appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 660
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 23, 2012 11:07 AM

There are loads of free patterns on the Internet, at this site and at Pattern Central  and Ravelry (free to join). Take a look and see what inspires you. Scarves and blankets, even baby blankets can get boring and seem endless, so starting with something smaller may be a good idea.

Gauge helps you relate sitiches on the needle to inches measured on the finished piece. Patterns almost always give a number for stitch gauge or stitches per inch on a certain size needle and with a given weight yarn. You need to work a gauge swatch yourself with your yarn and needles and the particular style of kniting (loose, tight or just right) that you do. Cast on enough sts to give you about 5 or 6 inches in width, knit for 4 inches and measure over the center 4 inches to get the best idea of your sts/inch. If you're getting too many sts/inch change to a larger needle. If you're getting too few sts/inch, change to a smaller needle.

Welcome to Knitting Daily and to knitting!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 23, 2012 3:36 PM

Welcome to our wonderful world of fun and creativity.  There are a multitude of patterns available to the new knitter and with the world of the internet, finding them is relatively easy.  This site is a good place to start.  They have patterns in all ranges of experience as well as extremely helpful ebooks that you can download for free or for a small fee.  The other place to check for free patterns is the different yarn companies web sites.  Many companies like Lion Brand, Caron and some of the more exclusive yarns have sites with patterns featuring their yarns.  Another place to pick up some inexpensive patterns, they range in price from $1.99 to $4.99 for individual patterns and $9.99 for their ebooks is Knit Picks.  There is a wide variety to choose from to suit any taste. 

One of the first projects I do when I teach a class is knitted dishcloths.  They are inexpensive to do and they introduce students to the basics of knit and purl.  It takes 1 skein of a cotton worsted weight yarn such as Lily Sugar and Cream or Bernat Handicrafter and size 6 or 7 needles.  I'll look through my files and post the basic pattern as soon as I can find it.  In the meantime, do a search for Creative Knitting Magazine.  They had some dishcloth patterns on their site that introduces knitters to different stitches.  In the meantime, keep the needles clicking and enjoy!

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 6
realjkb wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 3:03 PM

I just started knitting this year and would ditto the other commenter about the dishcloths.  They are shorter and you can find tons of patterns for different stich patterns.  My standard (great for knitting in the car, hubby driving of course!) is a basket weave.  K5, P5 on Right side (reverse on WS) for 8 rows, then switch to P5, K5 and repeat.  You can make them any size, but I usually do 35 stitches across (7 "squares") and 6 sets of 8 (48 rows total).

Good Luck!

Jess

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 8:48 PM

Jess,

Say, thanks for that little pattern mention.  I totally forgot about the Basketweave stitch.  You are right, it is a very easy and quick pattern.  As for the original post here.  I have gone through my computer files looking for my basic dishcloth patten and can't seem to find it.  It may be written out in one of my notebooks so I will keep looking, but the finished cloth is a Stockinette stitch center with a Garter stitch border all the way around.  The border is knitted as you go.  It requires size 7 needles and I skein of any 100% worsted wt. cotton, such as Lily Sugar and Cream.  If I can't find it, I will sit down with the needles and some yarn and figure it out and post the results.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 30, 2012 1:52 PM

This was a chock full of information! Thank you for the references on where to get patterns and ideas. The knitted dishcloths seems to be the most common first project for beginners so, I will start with that. I am still new to knitting lingo, if you don't mind me asking, what is a skein? And I currently have Red Heart worsted weight yarn and size US 10 (6 mm) needles. I will truly appreciate it if you can post any basic patterns. But I will look into the patterns in Creative Knitting Magazine. I cannot thank you enough for the wealth of information you have given me! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 4:45 PM

Skein is just another word for ball or hank of yarn.  When you order yarn online or you head to your local yarn store or craft store, the individual balls of yarn are listed as skeins.  They are also listed that way in patterns for the amount of a certain yarn you will need for the project

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 6, 2012 10:42 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me!Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 1:23 AM

You're welcome.  Keep up the knitting, and if you have any other questions,  post them and I'm sure you'll get an answer quickly.  Some of us are here every day, like myself.  It's part of my morning routine.  One bit of advice; the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  No matter how silly it may seem, ask and I'll be glad to answer if not all the others around here.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
wildvine wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 5:42 PM

There is a great beginner hat pattern here: http://www.astraknots.com/download-free-knitting-patterns.html  that gives you lots of options in terms of what you want to do and the gauge. Even if you aren't familiar with how to create a gauge, if you use the similar yarn and size needles you'll likely end up close to correct. The Beginner Decrease Hat pattern is given for both 4 and 5 sts/in gauge.

To create a gauge swatch, knit in Stockinette St for a few inches. (Here's a video about stockinette stitch - second one on the page: http://www.astraknots.com/garter-stitch-stockinette-st.html ) Then measure how many complete 'V's you knit in an inch, without stretching the fabric.  If you measure your piece in a few places and take an average, you will have your approximate gauge. Note that if you change yarn or needles you will need to knit a gauge swatch again.

Hope that was helpful! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 16, 2012 7:48 PM

Hi,

I think this is a fun one.  http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/clothgartersteps.htm  and this one super easy to do  http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/afdiagsquare.htm

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 20, 2012 2:20 AM

Thank you so much for this! I'm a visual person so, with the video on the stockinette stitch, I think I'll be able to understand. And is the gauge is necessary for all projects? 

Thanks, again!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 20, 2012 2:46 AM

Thank you so much for the videos!Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS