What am I doing wrong???

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
CMC4ever wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 10:53 AM

When I try and knit something with patterns, I find myself with the pattern going well for a while, then all of  sudden, its like my pattern is on the back side of my project and I'm working from the back??  Am I somehow turning my work??  This always amazes me because I'm just using two needles and switching from one hand to the other!!!

Thank you!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 3:46 PM

It sounds like you may have inadvertently done an extra wrong side row or stopped in the middle of a row and turned it without realizing what you did.  Here's a simple trick for keeping your pattern straight.  Read through the pattern stitch used in the pattern.  Place a row counter on the needle that is used to knit the rows that the pattern is done on.  For instance, if the pattern is stockinette stitch, place the row counter on the needle that the knit rows are done on.  Besides helping to keep track of the right or wrong side of your work, it also keeps track of the number of rows so that if you are making something in multiple pieces like a sweater, you will be able to better match your work.  If you don't have a row counter handy or you use one that doesn't slide onto  the needle, place a brightly colored piece of yarn or stitch marker on one of the needles to help you keep your rows straight.

Mary Woods

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 5:55 PM

I always place a safety pin on the right side of the work, just as a reminder.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CMC4ever wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 8:43 PM

That's just it....if I'm working in a stockinette pattern, it will look like the pattern but if there's another pattern in between, I'll work that pattern, then if it calls for the stockinette again, the smooth stockinette will be on the backside!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 726
salmonmac wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 4:36 AM

When you resume the stockinette after the intervening pattern, start with a knit row if you're on the RS or a purl row if you're on the WS. That way the Vs will always be on the front. Stockinette doesn't care whether you start with a knit or purl row, just be sure to alternate k and p rows.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 1:40 PM

Dear cmcforever,

Yes, that is why if you put a pin or slip a stitch marker onto the right side of your work, when you change pattern for whatever reason, or your instructions direct you to work on sleeve, collar, border, etc. another part of pattern, you can see quickly what is the "right" side of the stockinette & resume your knitting without frustrating yourself as well.  Wink  Hope it goes well from this point on.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Nov 27, 2012 12:36 PM

Are you perhaps misunderstanding the "end on WS/RS" instruction?

End on WS means that the last row that you work is a WS row. In Stocking stitch, this means do a P row and then do whatever comes next, which might be casting off or switching to a different stitch pattern.

Otherwise, you might have your stitch shape associations reversed - I suggest this because you are working the opposite stitch to what you see before you. In Stocking stitch, the smooth Vs are produced by the knit rows, and the bumps are produced by the purl rows.

So let's say that you have just done a section of Stocking stitch followed by a different pattern stitch, and it is now time to resume Stocking stitch. Look down at the bottom of your work. In the Stocking stitch section, are you looking at a fabric of smooth Vs or closely packed bumps? If you are looking at Vs, you need to resume with a knit row; if you are looking at bumps, you need to resume with a purl row. This way your Stocking stitch will always be facing the same direction.

That's what is meant by "reading your knitting".

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS