HELP

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillweiser wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 1:36 PM

I am about to knit a throw with 20mm (US 36) needles.  All well so far.  Then I come across a term "DOUBLE cast on 60 sts."  Now each cast on give me 2 stitches, so assume that is part of the 60.

Next the puzzling part,  "Row 1 and 2 using yarn A double knit. join in yarn B double.  Now I'm confused.  What is the technique here please?  Can anyone guide me or send me to a video.

Many thanks and in anticipation from the UK.

Gill

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 5:26 PM

Here you go http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on  The Long Tail Cast On is also known or called the Double Cast On or Continental Cast On.  If you go to the site at knittinghelp the above link has videos demonstrating the technique for you.  It is the first one on page. 

Where is your pattern?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillweiser wrote
on Oct 4, 2012 5:13 AM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I am using the Rowan Purelife Home book http://www.knitrowan.com/designs-and-patterns/patterns/garter-stitch-rug-or-throw  It is the garter stitch throw

Using 20mm circular needle and yarn A DOUBLE cast on 60 sts. 

Now work in striped g st as follows:

Rows 1 and 2: Using yarn A DOUBLE, knit. Join in yarn B DOUBLE.

Rows 3 and 4: Using yarn B DOUBE, knit. 

These 4 row form striped g st.

Continue in striped g st until work measures approx 180cm ending after 2 rows using your A DOUBLE.

Cast off.

Simple enough if you know what you are doing.  As I have never done double knitting before, a big project to take on and make mistakes!

Thank you again.  I shall go to the site you recommended. Regards, Gill

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 4, 2012 1:59 PM

hi gw,

In your first post you were asking re double Cast On.  Now in the actual knitting directions that you quoted above, I see that your pattern also directs you in some form of double knitting.  There are a few terms "double" knitting which are actually different from each other.  So I found this link to help you with - as it seems that this is the kind of "double" knitting you may be doing for this pattern.  But it wouldn't hurt to become familiar with some of the other methods as well. 

It's not the actual hotpad, but scroll down to where it reads Double Knitting.   http://www.knittinghelp.com/c/free-knitting-patterns-heart-double-knit-hot-pad

That is, when you have time, probably after you finish this project! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Grand-Kage wrote
on Oct 4, 2012 7:27 PM

Hello all u wonderful knitters,and answerers.I'm pleased to see that knitting is still doing great and expanding thanks to u guys,who are helping out the new members like myself.I look forward to asking u guys for anything i need help on,relating to mainly knitting and crochet.Well since i'm a new member i've been knitting for 4 years now and crocheting for 2 years.By the way i am a male who's 19,and taught myself both crafts from a book i purchased for 7.99 back then.well bye for now and i hope to get your guys help when i need it.And keep up the great work,because it's people like u who help spread knitting.''Grand-Kage''

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillweiser wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 3:50 AM

Thank you for all your help.  I am going to digest the information in the link, not literally, and go from there.  I shall practice first, then onwards with my project.  Want to produce this wonderful throw for my boys' bedroom.  It will go well on their sofa bed to match the knitted big cushion cover I made last year, my own pattern, simple and easy.

I find knitting so therapeutic, I totally switch off from the world around me.

Thank you again for coming back to me. I shall perhaps upload a photo of the finished item when it is complete.

All the best, Gill

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 694
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 9:15 AM

Actually, I think this is even easier than double knitting. This pattern just wants you to usevery large needles with the yarn doubled, that is two strands held together. There appears to be a missing comma in the first line:

Using 20mm circular needle and yarn A DOUBLE,   cast on 60 sts. (You'll use 2 srrands of A here, cast on 60sts)

Now work in striped g st as follows:

Rows 1 and 2: Using yarn A DOUBLE (again 2 strands of A), knit. Join in yarn B DOUBLE (now the second color, 2 strands of B).

Rows 3 and 4: Using yarn B DOUBE (i.e., 2 strands of B), knit.

These 4 row form striped g st.

Continue in striped g st until work measures approx 180cm ending after 2 rows using your A DOUBLE (you've got it, 2 strands of A)

Good luck with it. It should work up fast on the large needles!.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 5:25 PM

hi gw,

gillweiser:
Thank you again for coming back to me. I shall perhaps upload a photo of the finished item when it is complete. All the best, Gill

Your welcome and would love to see your pic when you finish.  I forgot to mention that I saw under the Blog section here called Learn Something New: Double Knitting posted by Kathleen Cubley on October 3, 2012.  There's a short video with it.  You may find it interesting as well. 

Enjoy your knitting project!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS