THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Borbie wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 12:31 PM

Hello Doreen,  I see you've started with your Addi needle.  Are you using the 1.5 (2.5 mm) needle listed in the materials list?   Did you do a gauge swatch?   I'm having difficulty finding a set of dpn in a size 1.5 at my lys.   I've yet to do a swatch, but don't know if I should swatch on my size 1 or 2 needles.  Hate to swatch and I don't want to use up any unnecessary yarn from my skein.      BTW:  I love your color selection!

Thanks.  Borbie

Not Ranked
Posts 3
perriaw wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 1:24 PM

I hate to swatch, too! I'm also not wanting to waste any yarn!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Andrea Haws wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 2:01 PM

Hi, my name is Andrea, knittenkitten2 on Ravelry. I live in San Jose, California. I'm going to be using yummy Madeline Tosh Sock yarn in Jade. This will be my first pair of socks, and I'm going to try to knit 2 socks at a time using 2 circs. I've used the technique before and am excited to try it on a pair of socks. I'm going to do the top down method.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Oct 6, 2012 3:44 PM

iHi Liz. I'm Jane.  I am also using Stroll pumpkin--cuff down but on dpns.  I think we will have beautiful socks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
DoreenG@2 wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 8:18 PM

Hi, Borgie,

I am using size 3 Addi 8 inch circulars, I did a small gauge swatch, and it works good. with my yarn choose

I did not find any 1.5 needles either in any of my stores. Thats why i invested in the Addi's and i am using them on a sweater too with same yarn for the sleeve cuff and size 4 addi's 8 inch for rest of sleeves. I do love them they knit so smoothly and fast. Now that  I know how to use these needle i will be making more socks. LOL  .  You might want to try them .  Happy knitting  

Thanks Doreen

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 6, 2012 8:24 PM

Hello! I'm Starmusicbear, from southwest Washington State, and I think I'm joining the knit-along! This is my first knit-along, and I hope I can keep up. It sounds like it will be a fun learning experience whether I finish my socks on time or not. I think I'm going to use Patons Stretch Socks in the Sugar color (above), if the colors don't turn out to be too busy for the chevron pattern. If it works out, I'd like to give these socks to my mom for Christmas. She is a pink and grey fan, so I'll start them with this yarn and see if it looks okay. Stick out tongue

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 6, 2012 8:43 PM

Hi Borbie, I had some issues with the 1.5 needle size too. I thought I had a pretty good collection of needles in that size range, but I didn't have a 1.5. Plus, my little gauge doesn't even have a place for 1.5s! Haha! Somewhere in my research, though, I found out that some size 1 needles are 2.25 mm, and others are 2.5 mm...which can also be labeled size 1.5! So, I found some "size 1, 2.5mm" which I think will work. I have yet to do a gauge swatch, though, so, we'll see! Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 6, 2012 9:49 PM

Hi all! Hope I'm not talking too much, but I'm excited about knitting!

Ajmjmm4, that is beautiful yarn, I love it! Plus, it looks to me like it has long sections of color, and I think that will look neat with, but not distract from, the chevron pattern. I also am a little confused by the pattern instructions. I was thinking this might be a good chance to try toe-up, since I've already done two pairs of socks from the cuff-down. I think you might be right that the second paragraph in the Toe-Up version should read "as for the TOP DOWN sock heel," but I'd like someone who knows what they are doing to reassure me! Plus it says it again in the Toe-Up Heel section: "work...as for the toe-up sock heel." Huh? I thought that's what I was reading! Stick out tongue If any veteran knitters want to weigh in on this, I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 6, 2012 11:39 PM

Hi all! I'm Elizabeth from Utah, (OneCrazyLady on ravelry), and I'll be using premier yarn from the debrorah norville collection. This will be my first KAL, and first hand-knit socks. So I'm very excited to get started!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Oct 7, 2012 1:55 AM

Hi Jane!

I hope so. I love anything in the orange family and thought it would be great for this time of the year. I haven't knitted anything small enough requiring dpns yet but maybe might get a set and keep them on standby. Smile All my projects up until the last KAL (hope to finish the facing in another week) were limited to afghans and scarfs, with a sweater and poncho thrown in.  This is going to be a challenge on so many levels. Love the look of these socks so I am ready to start!

~Liz

Not Ranked
Posts 2
47stars77 wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 11:00 AM

Hello!

This is my first knit along, I'm on Ravelry with the same user name that I have here.  I plan to knit the socks toe up using Knit Picks Essential Kettle Dyed Grasshopper- a lovely light yellow-green. Because I knit looser than most, I'm not going to worry about finding 2.5mm needles, but will start my gauge swatch with a 2.25mm 40in circ.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
hollyrose wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 9:16 PM

Hi,

I'm using Wisdom Yarns Miami Moonlight. Looking forward to getting started on this. BTW, I'm hollyrosec on ravelry.

HollyWink

Not Ranked
Posts 9
tuckerkm wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 10:47 AM

I've noticed that a few people are using an Addi 8" circular needle.  I never knew such a small circular existed!  I've used DPNs before for socks, but they are clumsy to work with--at least for me!!  The LYS stores I go to do not sell the Addi's that you are using.  Where did you buy them?  I'll check out Google and see what I come up with ;-)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
mewilson68 wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 11:27 AM

My name is Mary Beth (mewilson68 on Ravelry), and I'll be doing the socks toe-up on my wooden DPNs from Knit Picks.  This will also be my first experiment with knitting from a pattern on my Nook using Evernote.  I haven't gone through my stash yet, so I don't know what yarn I will be using.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 11:48 AM

Hi! I'm Sara (sallyhp79 on ravelry)-very excited this pattern won! This is the first kal that I've participated in (started one, but it was a fail :))

Page 3 of 14 (203 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS