THE OFFICIAL CARET + CHEVRON SOCKS KNIT-ALONG POST

This post has 202 Replies | 41 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:03 AM

DearKaren,

I don't think that you are doing anything long.Just check your yarn placement for your yos. If you are knitting, your yarn working yarn should be in the back of your needles and if your are purling, the working yarn should be on the front of the needles. I get confuse, but it really sounds like you are doing great.

Sharon

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 11:28 AM

Great yarn for sock, good definition of pattern.  Look forward to seeing the finish project

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 11:30 AM

Hi Missy,  Don't feel a bit bad, I am looking now for yarn and needles.... I missed the start date but hope to catch up.  Guess I am about a week behind.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Sylvrbdrfly wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 1:01 PM

Hi Darlene! I'm Alicia and I live in Kentwood, MI. Good luck with your socks, your yarn looks lovely :)

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Jakki@2 wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 4:00 PM

Hi, I'm jakki2k and I'm using some KnitPicks Stroll yarn from my stash in Ash grey.  I'm knitting them top down.  I did my swatch and decided that a size #2 (2.75mm) needle works for me.   I've come to the beginning of the heel with the short rows and I'm not liking what I'm doing with the wrap and turns.  Awhile ago I signed up for a Craftsy tutorial on short rows - 4 different ways.  I think I need a refresher course to get the heels of my sock looking more acceptable to me.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
prizebird wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:24 PM

Jakki@2:
 I've come to the beginning of the heel with the short rows and I'm not liking what I'm doing with the wrap and turns.

I hear you jakki2k! I completed my first heel today and I'm not excited about how the pointy heel looks on the needle, and it looks a bit gnarly on my foot as well BUT I think it fits nicely and will block even better!  And it's really about fit, plus it's inside your shoe anyway, right?  But for me personally the W&T is quite tedious so despite my desire to follow the pattern, I will probably end up doing my regular wedge toe.  I am really loving the pattern.

And I think your ash grey will be a lovely color to show the pattern!  pics?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
dubblugee wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 11:06 PM

Thank you, Dana, for attempting to answer my question.   I must be twisting my needles wrong when I start then.  I am trying so hard not to get a twist in the join.  I just don't understand how I can do this everytime.   I'm basically a visual person so may have to watch youtube to see what I might be doing.   Thanks again!!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
dubblugee wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 11:11 PM

And, thanks also to Sara.   I have hoped that it would be as simple as just turning the work inside out so that the correct side of the pattern is on the outside, but all that does is put my working yarn on the front needle instead of the back.  I hate to have to start over again, but I may just have to do it.  Thanks again.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
sarawutzke wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 12:23 AM

Can you take a picture and I can see what you're talking about?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 13, 2012 9:41 AM

Well, hello, everyone--a little late, but interested! I have made a lot of socks (mostly for my husband, who has size 13 feet and/but an undying appreciation for hand-knit socks, so I can't resist making them. This time, though, the prettiness of the pattern drew me in, and I even bought yarn just for this project, resisting my usual funky loud patterned yarns for a more muted shade that (I hope) will wear well but show off the patterning. I took a picture, and hope to post it. . . . This project marks a resurgence in my knitting mojo, because I have been battling with "medial epicondylitis" (spelling approximate at best), an elbow/tendon/annoyingly painful state that was triggered by too much weeding in my garden, knitting on a cabled sweater, swimming, and biking this summer. I am hoping that careful use, icing, and even some trigger-point massage therapy will restore me to my usual flexibility and I'll be able to knit on several long car trips that are looming AND during the meetings I attend as a teacher. However, I am hoping to learn to knit continental style as a way to reduce stress on my right hand, so these socks will be a truly new frontier. 

Possibly too much info, but I wanted to say upfront that ANY progress looks like victory to me on these lovelies, so I am not tied to the Nov. 7 finish date. Judging by the fact that one of us in Kabul is waiting for yarn delivery, I may not be alone! 

Onwards! 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Oct 13, 2012 2:44 PM

Hi dubblugee,

I think I had a similar problem when I first started learning how to knit in the round. I was using four double pointed needles. For me, it wasn't a twisting at the join problem (although I know that's common), but how I was holding and looking at my needles. When I started out, I would join my cast on stitches in the round successfully, but then I'd set my little triangle of needles with cast on stitches on my lap and start knitting on the far side. I would always be looking across the inside of the sock and knitting with the needles farthest away from me. By continuing this way, I ended up knitting the sock inside out (with all the knit stitch loops going on the outside of the tube!). So now, instead, when I knit in the round, I always pick up my needles so that I am looking at the nearest needles. As I knit and turn the work, I continue to work on the near needles, and the knit stitch loops end up on the inside of the circles of needles...and on the inside of the tube of fabric as it grows.

As you can probably tell, I am a big "text learner," so I describe my fix by talking about it (as above). Since you are a visual learner, watching a youtube video, finding some pictures of someone knitting in the round, or, better yet, having someone help you in person might be good ideas. I hope all my describing might be of some help too! :)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 2:45 PM

Hi Sherry,

Love the color ..I am using a Dream in color -Smooshy yarn in Cocoa Kiss....#2 Addi Turbo ( Like I do mostly for socks)... I am going from the top down and see how this goes as I go a very late start.

Judy

Not Ranked
Posts 9
bonitamahan wrote
on Oct 13, 2012 10:33 PM

I am having trouble doing the purl, yo, ssk all in a row.  I have completely ruined mine trying to do those 3 stitches so I am obviously doing something wrong. 

I would appreciate any tips from someone who has been doing this a while.

Thanks,

Bonita

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 3:50 AM

Bonita,

When knitting the purl, YO, SSK....  Here is how I do it .... After your purl, the yarn is in the front- leave it there.  Slip the next stitch from the left needle to the right as if to knit then slip the next stitch from the left needle to the right as if to knit (so you have slipped 2 stitches onto the right needle and are set up for the SSK).  Leave BOTH of those stitches on the RIGHT needle.  Take your LEFT needle and insert into the FRONT of the 2 stitches you just slipped onto your RIGHT needle (inserting needle from left to right).  Now take your yarn- which should still be in front- bring it around the back of your RIGHT needle and then around the front of the RIGHT needle (between the right and left needles).  Now complete the SSK stitch by using your left needle to bring the 2 slipped stitches over your right needle.  By leaving the yarn in front after your purl stitch and then going straight into a knit stitch, it creates a YO without you having to do one.   I'm not real good at explaining so I typed it step by step as I was doing it- so I'm sorry if the instructions are a little too simplistic.  Good luck!!

Dana

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
fort0093 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 3:53 AM

Knitting toe up.....  with Cascade Heritage yarn.  It's easier to see the definition in person :)

Page 8 of 14 (203 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS