October; Knit for Yourself Month.

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 1:00 AM

I am hereby declaring October to be the unofficial knit for yourself month.  If you are a knitter like I am, most of your knitting is done for gifts, bazaars, charities and others and seldom do you actually sit down and knit something for yourself. 

I was going through my stash the other day and it hit me, I have yarn in here that I purchased several years ago for projects for myself.  The patterns were copied from my magazines and stashed in with the yarn.  I thought, why haven't I done these?  The answer, I was usually busy knitting for someone or something else, that's why.   

Well this year I am not participating in the usual Christmas craft bazaars because it is just too expensive to do anymore.  So instead of the little stuff, I have pull the yarn for 3 sweaters, all from Creative Knitting magazines.  One sweater is a hoodie style pullover with a flame stitch border, another is an all-over cable knit and the last is a lace edged cardigan.    I am currently working on the hoodie and I am also finishing a pair of lace socks from Red Heart's booklet, Not Just Socks with projects featuring their sock yarn Heart and Sole.  The other sock project is the Anntrelac socks from Interweave knits 2007 Holiday Collection and I am going to make a pair or the Reservoir Mitts featured in Knitscene Accesories 2012 edition that just came out.  I want to do those for myself so I can tweek the pattern if necessary before I make the girls Christmas presents. 

When these are done, I will then resume my christmas knitting, starting with a cable and rib vest for the hubby.  I will keep you all posted on the progress. 

Mary

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Nov 27, 2012 12:05 PM

Good for you!!

Knitters and crocheters are said to be pretty warm hearted people (because our hearts are wearing hand-knitted jackets, har har!), but at times it can get to be a bit much, with everyone wanting to use your talents for their gain.

People who demand that I knit them this and that simply because I knit well and they feel that it is my duty to them, get this response: We don't take orders. (Most people don't like this response, so stand back if you decide to say it.)

That said, I really do love knitting for others - it is how I express fondness for the person and respect for our relationship. However, unless I want to wear myself out and become annoyed every time I pick up my needles, my knitting for others has to be on my terms.

So, now it's the end of November and I don't see an update - was your October knitting successfully self-centered  Stick out tongue  ?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 4:57 PM

Hi all,

Actually it was quite successful.  I finished a hoodie for myself as well as a couple pairs of socks, in between buttoning down the house for winter and helping the hubby get wood in.  I like to stay warm.  Where I live, we like to say that Timber Valley only has 2 seasons, Winter and getting ready for winter.  If you are wondering, I live in Washington State in the foothills of the Eastern Cascades, near Mt. Adams. We are at the 2800 ft. elevation, so winters can be a bit nasty if you are not prepared for them. 

I also got several sketches done for new designs and I have a vest for myself on the needles.  Last night though, I turned back to my crochet hooks and started making snowflakes for my windows.  I was becoming frustrated with a fingerless mitt pattern I was working for one of my girls and had to put the needles down.  I'll probably go back to them today. 

Keep on knittin' !

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Dec 6, 2012 4:42 AM

Wow,

I can't believe that you did all that in a month. As well as all the non-knitting tasks and daily life.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Dec 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Well when needlework is a passion, it's easy to get a lot of things done.  When I'm really busy, I easily lose track of time and my days often stretch out. I'm also a bit of a night owl and lose track of time watching movies and knitting.  So I do get quite a bit done even if sometimes it doesn't seem like it.

Mary

Ravenwood Designs.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS