Is it possible to yarn over on a knitting machine?

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Czenobia wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 8:41 PM

I have an Ultimate Knitting Machine and would like to knit a SMC dress. Unfortunately, I do not know how to yarn over with the machine. Because I was unable to find a video on this topic, I am wondering if it is impossible to yarn over on my machine. 

1) Is it possible?

2) How do I execute the stitch?

Thanks in  advance.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
uhh-kimbo wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 5:00 PM

Hi

First, I am not an expert..and never feel I will be at either machine or hand knitting..but experience with both, I will say:

A yarn over is a very simple form of increase..depending on what follows it in the next row of knitting the stitches are worked according to pattern instruction, so on successive rows, you may have difficulty if you are supposed to reform a stitch for any reason.

The simplest translation to machine will be to move a stitch to the needle to the right, and then knit so that yarn is put back on the needle by the carriage (as in full-fashioned increases)

I believe another method could be to pick up a purl bump from the preceding row ( below the empty needle) and knit normally..but I believe this will alter the row count of the yarn over..

This is my first thought on this, as I found your post while considering conversion of a pattern for myself..

Kim in NY

Not Ranked
Posts 1
247time wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 7:35 PM

A Yarn Over adds a stitch in handknitting.  When machine knitting, any place the needle is in working position without a stitch already hanging from the needle will create a YO and add the new stitch as the carriage goes across the bed.  On the ege of the knitting, just bring a needle out into working position and you have increased one stitch. In the middle of your knitting you may need to move a stitch to an adjacent needle either right or left to decrease as inlace knitting, then the instructions call for a YO to keep the stitch number the same.  You simply leave the needle in working position after having moved a stitch to an adjacent needle.  The carriage passes over the row and the empty needle now has a YO (or a new stitch) on it.  This will create a hole in your knitting as in Lace. 

If you don't want a hole in the middle then you would take the heal (bar below the adjacent stitch) of a stitch next to the empty needle and move the bar of the adjacent stitch to the empty needle.  Now you won't have a hole when you knit the next row, but you have increased your stitches again.  Sometimes you need to increase in the middle of a row with yo as in hand knitting rather than on the end.  If this is the case and you don't want the hole, move all your stitches from either right or left of bed to the side to create the empty needle(s) needed and then take the heal of an adjacent stitch to the empty needle so your row of needles each have a stitch when you are done.  now knit across.  Without seeing your pattern I don't know if you are trying to shape your knitting as in makeing more room for the chest area in the center of the knitting or as in making lace patterns.  Using the heal stitch method is for shaping and leaving the needle empty is for the holes of lace.  I hope that helps you knit your dresss

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS