Help with abbreviation in pattern

This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 4:07 AM

Hi!

I am knitting a blanket at the moment, and I am a relative 'newby' to knitting.  The pattern for this  blanket has an abbreviation S3B and S3F. I am not sure how to do that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacqui

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 6:56 PM

hi there,

are you knitting in many different color yarns or are you doing cables perhaps?  Or the pattern may be telling you to just slip 3 stitches and hold to back (wrong side of knitting) and slip 3 stitches and hold to the front (right side of knitting) while you do follow the next instruction.  Just a guess without the actual pattern you didn't give reference to. 

If you were doing color knitting, you could be slipping 3 stitches in color B and slipping 3 stitches in color F but that doesn't sound likely to me? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 8:52 PM

I've only seen this abbreviation in bead knitting - but like ZassZ I think it's a cable stitch.  I would hazard a guess that you slip 3 stitches to a cable needle and hold either in front or back and knit 3 stitches, then knit the 3 stitches from the cable holder?  

What's the name of the pattern, maybe if someone see's a picture of it they will know what it means.  

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 11:18 PM

Hi. There is no name of pattern, or pattern number as a lady in this country designed the pattern, and had it sent into a craft magazine here.

This is the line I am stuck on: p4, k6, p4, p3, S3B, k1, S3F,p3

Hope it makes sense yo you?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 11:19 PM

It is a cable pattern, no different coloured yarns.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:26 AM

Hmmm maybe it's the same as a C3B - Slip one stitch on holder, hold in back of work, knit next two stitches, knit stitch from holder?  or S2 stitches on holder, hold in back of work, knit next stitch, knit stitches from holder?  Just guessing here.   How many stitches total in the row?  Maybe that would help.  

I still can't find any reference to that in any of my knitting books nor on line where I've looked for knitting abbreviations - it might be a regional thing.  Hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 650
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:59 AM

Yes, I think this is a traveling cable. S3B is slip one st to a cable needle and hold in back, k2, then k1 from cable needle. S3F would be slip 2 to a cable needle and hold in front, k1 and then k2 from the cable needle. I think this must be the pattern link: .http://ideasmag.co.za/craft-decor/cabled-blanket/

Why not try just the diamond pattern on some scrap yarn and see if that makes sense. Pretty blanket pattern. Enjoy working it!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 8:59 AM

Thank you so much for your help. Yes, I am going to do a trial run tonight to see how it works out. 

I know what I am going to be doing this weekend :)

Jacqui

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 8:59 AM

Thank you so much for your help. Yes, I am going to do a trial run tonight to see how it works out. 

I know what I am going to be doing this weekend :)

Jacqui

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 7:48 AM

Hello again. Thank you for your previous help regarding this knitting pattern. It is working out beautifully, and I have a great diamond shape appearing. However, I have one more stitch or abbreviation I am not sure about. The line is - p4, k6, p4, p4,S5R, p4, p4, k6, p4.

Please can anyone advise me on the S5R part.

Thank you, Jacqui.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 5:00 PM

Hi Jacqui,

Glad to hear you are getting some of your pattern accomplished.  I just had a thought about your craft magazine.  Could you look inside for the editor's contact or email address and ask someone from that magazine about these directions?  It would be interesting to see if they respond with the correct information.  I do think that Salmonac and ChewChew put you on the right course as well.  I am just the curious one to see if the magazine editor knows something about it.  They should if they published it or they could put you in touch with the pattern author. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 5:16 PM

It could be similar to  C5B or C5F - slip next three stitches to a stitch holder and hold at back or front of work, knit next two stitches from left hand needle, slip the purl stitch from the stitch holder onto the left hand needle, purl this stitch, then knit the two stitches left on the stitch holder.  

Or it could be a C5R - Slip the next st onto cable needle and hold at back of work, knit next 4 stitches on left hand needle, then purl the st on cable needle.  

But again its just a guess.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 24, 2012 5:23 PM

hi chewchew,

I can't wait to find out!  And the answer is . . .?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jacquisharod wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 10:56 AM

Hi Ladies,

I took your advice and contacted the magazine. They forgot to print the abbreviations for this knitting pattern, but they have now sent it all to me. S5R is: slip 3 sts onto a CN & leave at back of work. Knit next 2 sts, p the 1st from CN then k 2 sts from CN.

Hooray! I will be able to finish my blanket. 

Jacqui

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Oct 25, 2012 3:15 PM

Awesome - I hope you post a picture of it when it's complete.  

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS