Hi :) knitter from Australia

This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
AmareeLis wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 10:47 PM

Hi everyone!

Just wanting to say hi. Been knitting for almost 2 months now, and loving it! I live in Brisbane, Australia and all my friends has no interests in knitting so it can get lonely as no one to talk to about this hobby.. Hopefully I can get to meet new people here and make some friends

Dina

knit your way to cuteness ♥ Free Cute Knit

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 713
salmonmac wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:34 AM

Hi and welcome to KD. I'm sure there are many knitters here from Australia, maybe even some from your neck of the woods.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AmareeLis wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 5:53 AM

Thank you :) 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 166
marywoods wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 1:23 PM

Dear AmareeLis,

Welcome to the group!  Sounds like you are enjoying yourself.  This is a great place to find info, patterns and a lot of friendship and support.  Browse some of the different forums and you'll see that there a lot of different interests and information for the new knitter.  It will seem like a lot at first but in time you will find yourself right at home. 

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Not Ranked
Posts 12
MimsyKells wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 6:57 PM

Hello! I bet you're loving the weather down there this time of year! It being summer right now for you folks "down under." What local in Australia is Brisbane in? North, South, East, West...? Are you anywhere near the ocean, or in the "outback"?

I've been knitting off and on now for close to five years or so. It's enormous fun:) Do you have any other hobbies, and more importantly would you like to be friends? I promise I'll understand if you'd rather not, just please do be courteous about it.

I wish you many more wonderful "adventures in the land of Knitting" (that's a reference to one of my favorite knitting writer's self-titled book Stephenie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off). See you around the web.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AmareeLis wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 7:07 PM

marywoods:

Dear AmareeLis,

Welcome to the group!  Sounds like you are enjoying yourself.  This is a great place to find info, patterns and a lot of friendship and support.  Browse some of the different forums and you'll see that there a lot of different interests and information for the new knitter.  It will seem like a lot at first but in time you will find yourself right at home. 

Mary Woods

Ravenwood Designs

Hi Mary,

Thank you :) This is a big place indeed. Love the site and the newsletters are helpful too!

MimsyKells:

Hello! I bet you're loving the weather down there this time of year! It being summer right now for you folks "down under." What local in Australia is Brisbane in? North, South, East, West...? Are you anywhere near the ocean, or in the "outback"?

I've been knitting off and on now for close to five years or so. It's enormous fun:) Do you have any other hobbies, and more importantly would you like to be friends? I promise I'll understand if you'd rather not, just please do be courteous about it.

I wish you many more wonderful "adventures in the land of Knitting" (that's a reference to one of my favorite knitting writer's self-titled book Stephenie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off). See you around the web.

Hi MimsyKells,

I would love to be friends! :) I do have other hobbies, they are mostly have to do with arts and crafts lol. (reading manga, novel, drawing, painting, designing, dancing) But it's hard to do all of them at once! I just seem to run out of time, so knitting is what I spend most of the time with for now.

The weather is summer indeed! I personally prefer the spring / fall (somewhere not too hot / cold!) but snowy areas are good too! (though there is no snow here in Australia) I live in South Brisbane area. It's not really near the ocean / bushes. It's a suburbian area :)

"adventures in the land of Knitting" I do like that! Knitting is like an adventures indeed! :D each step of the way..

Cheers

Dina

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 20, 2012 12:55 PM

Hi Dina,

I've been teaching myself to knit for about a year or more & I share your loneliness concerning it because there's no one to help me when I get my self in trouble. I live in Northern California where it rains so much in the fall & winter which gives me alot of reasons to knit or crochet. So far I've finished only one project, a I-PAD cover which I saw on Knitting Daily TV. Believe me it was a challenge! I had to figure out stitches I had never done before and spent alot of time taking out rows again and again. Now I'm working on a baby blanket for my daughter's 1st baby and hope to finish it before the middle of March!

Welcome new friend. I will have to come back often. Do you also crochet?

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 6:50 PM

hi barbarajo,

my neighbor just left a few minutes ago to travel up to northern Ca to visit.  There are those times when you feel like no one around to share with.  I tried teaching a few of my friends to learn to knot a simple cowl.  They actually really enjoyed the experience, but so far they have not taken up knitting per se.  So I am back to square one - which is one of the reasons I enjoy this site so much.  It is so easy to connect with others and share and get ideas, view other projects people work on, etc.  It is so nice to get support from others who share same interests here. 

I also enjoy a visit to lys if possible.  If you could visit one hopefully near you, you could possibly meet other knitters living near you.  Usually there are other knitters popping in and out.  Or maybe if you know of a nearby neighbor that might enjoy going along with you to the lys (hopefully one that knits too).  Sometimes while walking my dog, I strike up a conversation with local neighbors, I just ask them, "do you knit?"  Maybe you could try one of these ideas and find people in your area.  But if not, we are still here 24/7 ! !

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
AmareeLis wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 5:07 PM

Hi Barbara and Zaasz,

Nice to hear from you both..

I am still knitting away everday as much as I can, even though it's summer here but I just love it!

Congratulations on finishing the i-Pad cover, Barbara! do you have pictures you can share? Would love to see it :) Baby blanket is a big project, I usually only knitted small things or when I knitted something remotely big I have to knit a few things so I can rotate them.

This site is very nice, lovely to share my knitting thoughts to others who share the same passion. I don't crochet, but my mom did (thought she hasn't been crocheting in years now). When I saw her doing it before, I thought it looks easier and faster than knitting, but I ended up learning knitting now because I thought since mom can already crochet I want to try something new so we both can make different things.

I love crochet amigurumi! I think they are really adorable (I tend to like really cute things lol)

I am trying to teach my mom to knit. She picks it up really fast but I don't know if she likes it.

Cheers,

Dina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 21, 2012 7:48 PM

Hi Dina,

It's nice to have you share here.  Would love to see your blanket when it's finished too.  I loved watching my grandmother crochet too.  It did seem so fast, and I was really fascinated by her work.  I am so glad to be able to read and learn about what others are enjoying in the needlework arts. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
saintxmom wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 10:16 AM

Hi, just saw your post.  Welcome!  I too do not have any knitting friends.  They think it's cool, but no clue about it.  My husband and boys somewhat understand, but it's not like I can discuss a pattern, etc. with them.  So, that being said, please feel free to chat with me any time!

Sheree' 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS