casting on right amount of stitches

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
jackie noel wrote
on Nov 6, 2012 9:38 PM

I'm trying to knit a toque for my son, I want to use a size 3 circular needle, and a worsted weight wool yarn. his head

measures 23 3/8. to do this I'm not sure of the number of stitches. So, do I need to knit a swatch, count my number of stitches per inch then multiply that times the 23 3/8? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 6, 2012 11:41 PM

hi jackie,

Knit your swatch, as you said counting the # of stitches you get per inch.  But you also have to remember the stitch height may vary and you might want to factor that in to your finished project.  So you should knit a 4 x 4 inch swatch to be sure of how your knitting will really be.  Also the worsted wight yarn you mention may be a little thick for a size 3 needle perhaps? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 733
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 4:35 AM

Yes, I agree. Also, your knitting is going to be stretchy so you'll want to make the hat about 1-2inches smaller than the measured head size. If you knit to the exact head size measurement, the hat will be too large.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
jackie noel wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 5:29 PM

thank you ZassZ! I had thought of the height part, but only as I was knitting the swatch did I realize my yarn is going to be to heavy, I'm thinking maybe 

something more cashmier like if I can find it or order it?  I love that Bible verse! Thank You!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
jackie noel wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 5:32 PM

thank you salmonmac!  

I'm glad you worned me, I was under the impression I needed to do it the same size! A hat that wouldn't fit on Christmas morning would not be a good deal!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 7:25 PM

hi jackie,

You are very welcome.  I do hope your hat comes out just the way you wish it to.  Let us know by putting up your pic once you finish over on Fabulous Projects Completed Lately topic under the Knitting Chat.  You can also look at the Hats Crazy topic under the Knitting Chat - some of posters put up their finished projects there too. 

Hope you have fun! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 7, 2012 8:01 PM

jackie,

Here's a sample of some of the hat pics posted by andreaw

AndreaW:

Andrea

There are other pics by other posters if you read thru the posts there.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 733
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 4:04 AM

Wow, what a gorgeous collection! Thanks for reposting the picture. Here's a chart that may help too with 'hat depth'  which will come after you figure our cast on. Good luck with the hat!

http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Size_Chart_-_Hats

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 3:45 PM

Hi Salmonmac, 

Yes I agree!  Andrea's hats are very well made.  I met AndreaW and Zoe about the same time.  Andrea responded to one of my posts and we got to know one another a little more.  It has been a great while since I have heard from her on this site.  She may be very busy on other site or even just reading our posts but not able to respond.  Same with Zoe, we have not heard from her either for a bit.  I hope that they will make an appearance here again some day.  We are waiting on them patiently!  Used to have so much fun reading and writing with them. 

Thanks for the chart too. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
jackie noel wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 6:55 PM

those hats are beautiful! my son is a big fan of U2, the lead guitarist wears a toque. so, that's why I want to knit one for my son. I'm wondering now if I can knit it thin enough to look right. Maybe I'll knit one for my son- in-law first. He just wants a warm head and not to scare the deer when he hunts! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
jackie noel wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 6:55 PM

those hats are beautiful! my son is a big fan of U2, the lead guitarist wears a toque. so, that's why I want to knit one for my son. I'm wondering now if I can knit it thin enough to look right. Maybe I'll knit one for my son- in-law first. He just wants a warm head and not to scare the deer when he hunts! 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS