How to increase to accommodate nose in facemask

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 15, 2012 5:24 PM

Hello knitting experts,

I would like to know how to increase to accommodate for my nose in knitting a snowboarding facemask.  I would like it to be a partial mask, similar to a surgical mask in that it only covers from below the eyes to the underside of the chin.  I had increased gradually (from 2 to 8 stitches every knit row, with plain purling on the alternate rows) and it was too wide, but fit my chin perfectly!  I decided to continue on the mask (now working from chin up, instead of down from the eyes as originally planned).  I completed the mouth hole with no complications, except that I might stitch it up to make the mask warmer and keep the snow out when snowboarding!
I am about to start the nose and need to know roughly how to shape it.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  It just needs to prevent my nose from being flattened, which would make it hard to breathe.  I am working from the bottom of the mask up, but could 'transpose' any instructions for working in the opposite direction.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.  
Gratefully yours

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 15, 2012 5:49 PM

I am also using eyelet buttonholes (y fwd K2tog and yrn P2tog) for the nostrils.  Any other suggestions would be very welcomed!  Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 647
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 16, 2012 4:56 AM

I think of the shaping as similar to the thumb gusset shaping on a mitten (that would work if you knit the mask from the eyes down, increasing for the nose).  Working from the mouth up you could increase several stitches in one stitch a couple of times at the center of the mask and then decrease every row or every other row to narrow the nost shape. Increasing quickly may give you enough opening that you won't need the eyelet buttonholes. Good luck with this project!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 16, 2012 4:50 PM
Thank you so much, salmonmac!  Seeing your reply motivated me to get the needles out first thing on a Saturday morning.  This is my second-ever project, having only knitted one pair of wool socks recently for my husband (which he loves).  Being a beginner with no experience and working without a pattern makes it too easy to put the knitting aside, but it is such a beautiful, calming, useful, loving art that I really want to knit all the time!  I'm considering making a custom-made merino wool bra, too!  Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. Gratefully yours
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS