interpreting a pattern, help!!

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
jen666 wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 8:59 AM

im totally new to knitting and have started by making a hat with ear flaps, im at the point where it says work 2 [4:4] rows more in stocking stitch, what do the numbers in brackets mean? am i knitting just 2 more rows or are there more??? i only have 7 stitches on my needles at this point and theres no more increasing, help needed!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:45 AM

Are there different sizes?  Sometimes if there is more than one size they put the different row information in parenthesis.  For example s (m:l).  But with a hat I'm not sure that would be the case.  What is the hat pattern maybe someone here has it and can answer better.  

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jen666 wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:51 AM

its a ladies hat one size fits all, im knitting the ear flaps and on the last rows of the first flap, the pattern is sirdar 9315, thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jen666 wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 9:55 AM

you may be right about the different sizes but im still not sure how to interpret it, 4 rows maybe?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Nov 17, 2012 11:41 AM

If it does have different sizes than I hazard a guess it would be first size knit 2 rows, second size knit 4 rows and third size knit four rows.  

For example: S - knit 2 more rows in stocking stitch, M - knit 4 more rows in stocking stitch, L - knit 4 more rows in stocking stitch.  2 [4:4] or s[m:l].  Does this help?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Nov 18, 2012 4:10 AM

That's exactly right. You'll almost always see this kind of notation in patterns to save space. Just circle or highlight the size you're making throughout the pattern so you won't be confused by all the numbers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 6:02 PM

hi jen666,

you stated that it is "a ladies hat one size fit all" so in that case it could be that just the length of the earflaps are being considered as to how long you want them to be, thus the 2 or 4 extra rows of stockinette stitch.  It probably could be made as long you want your earflaps to be, so I why not try it on and then decide how many rows you need.  It seems like that could be a possibility without my seeing the pattern.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS