Casting on in the Middle of Work 'Working in Pattern'

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Hen19 wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 11:40 AM

Hi there! 

I came across this lovely Turn Back Cap which I'd like to knit up for a dear friend of mine who's recently become a mother 

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/capboo2.html

After the 4th row, the pattern states: 'Working in pattern cast on 5 sts at beginning of each row.'

I'm unsure what it means by 'working in pattern'. 

I have two questions:

1. Do I cast on all those stitches as though knitting them?
  2. After the number of stitches on these rows changes, it of course affects the mathematics of the pattern. How is each of these rows then worked?

Hope someone out there can help me! Am aching to get started on this! In case it affects your reply I am pre-intermediate knitter so am quite green =))

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 28, 2012 5:00 PM

Hen 19,

Work in your pattern for first 4 inches.  Then make sure you end your 4 inches with the knitting of row 4.  For the next 2 rows you will knit them as you did row 1 and row 2 (that's the working in pattern part) because you are knitting those row 1 and row 2 as the pattern sets out ONLY before you begin each of these two rows you will cast on 5 stitches at beginning of each and then continue in the pattern which means knitting them the same as for row 1 & 2. 

The next increase is for working the next 6 rows - telling you to increase on the last of the 6th row by 2 stitches.  I suppose you can do the 2 stitch increase along the row where you deem best, probably at begining and the end of it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Hen19 wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 2:53 AM

Thanks so much ZassZ =)) You've been really helpful!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 7:09 PM

Hi Hen,

You are welcome, glad it did.  I just gave it my best shot.  So have you finished already or still working on? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS