Loose stitch when doing wide rib???

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Charky wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 11:05 AM

I've been knitting a tension swatch for a sweater than is almost entirely knit in a K5 P5 rib, and I have noticed that a loose ladder is formed on the stitches between the last knit stitch and the first purl stitch. I have tried tightening the first purl stitch after each K5 by wrapping the yarn front to back, and also knitting that stitch tighter, but I am still not happy with the results.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remedy this problem?

Much appreciated,

Charlotte

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 5:01 PM

Hi Charlotte, 

I remember this post from awhile ago and found it again.  Here it is.  Hope it works for you.

rochesterknitter:

It is not uncommon to have a little discrepency when switching between two stitches (knit to purl, purl to knit). I recently read this post elsewhere. Hope it helps.

Here's something that has always IRKED ME about ribbing: the last knit stitch that sits right next to the first purl stitch tends to be bigger/misshapen. I stumbled upon a gal who read about a CURE for this!

Here is what she wrote:
“When switching from knit to purl: the first purl is wrapped clockwise rather than counter and it really does the trick to give a uniform stitch size on the edge of the SS columns! That stitch will straddle the needle backwards, so you need to pay attention and treat it appropriately on the flip side.”

I knew immediately what she was talking about!

Here is a diagram/summary of the issue:
The knit stitch just before the purl stitch in K3-P2 ribbing: PP-KKK-PP-KKK-PP-KKK

I used the technique and it worked!!!

Where she says: "...That stitch will straddle the needle backwards, so you need to pay attention and treat it appropriately on the flip side."....what she means you need to knit it tbl to "right the stitch" as it goes onto the right needle.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Charky wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 10:03 PM

Thank you and I will give this a try.  Have a Happy NewYear!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS