Teen Knitting Inspiration

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Lexalex wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 9:17 AM

Hello! I'm a teen knitter and I would love to meet more teens out there who knit! 

I blog about what I knit here: http://lexalex-lexa.blogspot.com

I also have an Etsy store where I sell what I knit: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LexaLex

I want to help show other teens that knitting is cool! :) Let me know what you think. 

Alexa

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
on Mar 30, 2013 7:03 PM

Hi Alexa,

I love your idea!!! I'm a young knitter too (I'm not in my teens; I'm in my twenties) - and I don't even know anyone close to my age who knits. I'm thoroughly impressed by your motivation and productivity - when I was a teen, all I did was hang out with the wrong people and get into trouble: what a waste of time when I could have been knitting myself a whole wardrobe of coolness. (Which I really needed, because my wardrobe sucked.)

I've just checked out your supercool blog too - I like your style! Ok, here is how you might be able to promote knitting among other teens:

1. Tell everyone about your blog. Neighbours, cousins, etc.
  2. Maybe even print some flyers for your blog and/or etsy store and put them on your school noticeboard and give them to other students.
  3. Rock up at events wearing your awesome knitwear. If strangers ask you about it, tell them all about your knitting and refer them to your blog!

As for meeting other teen knitters, I hope that you have success (I tried finding 20-something knitters here on Knitting Daily... got one reply... ). Please do get back and let us know how it's going!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Lexalex wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 4:48 PM

Thanks you so much for the encouragement! Glad you liked my blog. I will definitely try out your suggestions! I've been thinking about starting a teen knitting club in my area to try to meet some teen knitters!  I'll let you know how your suggestions work! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Rachel.W wrote
on Apr 19, 2014 11:13 PM

That's a great idea. I'm a teen and I (finally) got my friends into knitting too. It would be awesome to make it more popular.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Rachel.W wrote
on Apr 19, 2014 11:14 PM

That's a great idea. I'm a teen and I (finally) got my friends into knitting too. It would be awesome to make it more popular.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Rachel.W wrote

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Rachel.W wrote

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Rachel.W wrote

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarieJanelle wrote
on May 19, 2014 11:54 AM

Yes! another twenty-something knitter! what do you think of arm knitting??

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Frontier1 wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 5:40 PM

Hey, Alexa.

I really envy you for starting an Etsy store I'll definitely check it out) I just turned sixteen and I love knitting, in fact, I am quite addicted to it. My grandmother had a yarn shop, she taught me much of what I know. Several years ago she succumbed to cancer and left us. Since then I have been trying harder than ever to take up her legacy, because no one else in my family really knits much. A lot of yarn from her shop is mine now, and I have been trying to make things for family members and friends so it stays close, if you know what I mean. That's my only qualm about selling things from her stash. I will do it someday, but for now I enjoy making patterns for my two sisters and I. My last project was a raglan cabled sweater for Abby. I am pleased with it for now. I know someday I will look back and either say, "wow, that's lame," or "Oh, I remember when I first did that stich..." LOL.

My goal is to make a version of the same raglan sweater for all three of us girls, one with cables, one with colorwork, and one with both or something new. I might write up the patterns and try to sell them. It would be my first product:)

Do you have any goals like that? Thanks for your posts and consideration.

Sincerely, Jen.

P.S. do you have any advise for starting a store or blog? What do you think, do people tend to go for patterns or finished product more? 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Frontier1 wrote
on Jul 21, 2014 1:43 AM

Hey, Lex.

I checked out your Etsy page, pretty cool. I would really like to start one to. A couple questions, though. Does it cost money to make an Esty page? How are you doing success-wise? probably pretty personal, I know, but I would really appreciate some advise on this.

Thank you for inspiring me some more. I'll try to keep up with this blog. Hey, have you ever entered anything into a fair or contest of some sort? I am looking forward to putting something into our little local fair next month. I think it would be good advertisement if you said "this one is a prize winner..."

Later, Jen    

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Frontier1 wrote
on Jul 21, 2014 1:43 AM

Hey, Lex.

I checked out your Etsy page, pretty cool. I would really like to start one to. A couple questions, though. Does it cost money to make an Esty page? How are you doing success-wise? probably pretty personal, I know, but I would really appreciate some advise on this.

Thank you for inspiring me some more. I'll try to keep up with this blog. Hey, have you ever entered anything into a fair or contest of some sort? I am looking forward to putting something into our little local fair next month. I think it would be good advertisement if you said "this one is a prize winner..." just a thought:)

Later, Jen    

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS