Where are the the best sources for natural fiber yarns at the cheapest prices?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Doodledaddy wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 2:34 PM

I am trying to find the best lightweight yarn for the cheapest amount of money, as I am disabled and on a VERY tight budget.  This will be my first attempt at making one with aran style stitches.  I want a something that is as soft as possible, and in natural fibers that will give me the stretch and support that is required, but has to be at least as soft as a good merino wool, as I have somewhat sensitive skin to the harsher wool.  I may be asking for too much, as quality and high prices in yarn seem to go hand in hand, but I thought I would see what you more seasoned knitters could give me, as I am having a hard time sourcing good yarn in my area in a price that I can afford.  I'll need roughly 2200 m  for this particular pattern, and I need it as cheep as I can get it but in a yarn that I can comfortably wear.  I know about the huge variety available in choice of materials, and I really do NOT want to use acrylic, not even a mix, so I know it's going to be a bit pricey because of that choice.  I've checked out several online sources, and I just cannot seem to find anything in my price range.  It seems rather odd that it is almost cheaper to buy a sweater than it is to make one, but I have been longing for so long to make this one, as these are so hard to find these days.  It is for a man's cardigan button up with a shawl collar, and lots of aran detail.  I had to get some help from a knitting forum just to find this pattern, and I refuse to compromise on it, as it will take me some time to do it.  

Can anyone please direct me to a good place to get good quality yarn at an affordable price for this desperate, disabled guy?

Thank you all in advance, for any help you can give me!  Confused 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 669
salmonmac wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 5:05 AM

Thank you very much for your service.

I think that Knit Picks is one of the best sources for inexpensive yarn. It's not all natural fiber but there's a lot of it there. I've used their yarn and it is lovely. I have noticed that the Wool of the Andes tends to pill (I hate that) but otherwise have found the yarns soft and wearable.

http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting.cfm?media=PPCgsYarn&gclid=CO_xjsWQ27QCFQ-e4AodxlUAcw&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=PPCgsYarn&utm_content=GOOGLE%20(Search)%20Knitting%20Yarn&utm_source=www.google.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 6:36 PM

Hi D,

I love using the Plymouth DK Merino Superwash, it's 100% fine merino wool.  Very soft, no issues with irritation.  I used it recently for a cowl and when it next to the skin around the neck, completely comfortable.  You didn't mention what your price range was though, in your post.  I got mine for $6.50/skein. 

If you want to see what this yarn looks like knit up, you can go over the Fabulous Projects completed lately? thread to see a pic of the cowl, in white.  http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/t/857.aspx?PageIndex=41 

If you go online to see where you can order it from or ask your local yarn shop dealer.  Also at WEBS, when you look at the yarns, people give their reveiws of their experiences with the yarns they purchased, so you can check the reveiws of other knitters' experience with a yarn you may be considering.  That may help. I hear that people like WEBS, they the service is good, but I have noticed that sometimes their sale prices could be slightly higher than the mfsrp. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS