How do you keep edges from curling on a knitted scarf ?

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 6, 2013 6:53 PM

I am knitting a scarf with knitted edges and with cables in the middle but the edges are curling inward.  Is there anything I can do to fix them from curling now that I am almost finished with the scarf ?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 8:04 PM

Hi Doris,

Here is a link to the thread with recent similar questions.  http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/t/7107.aspx  There are two pages of Q&A's there. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 28, 2013 1:45 PM

I think I found the answer to prevent the curling in the first place.  Always slip the first stitch as if to purl and knit the next 2 stitiches and continue with pattern.  On the scarf I just finished with the curling edges, I did crochet a single crochet around and did help some what but still curled inward.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
mrsfroitz wrote
on May 20, 2013 3:57 PM

I used to have the same query. Knitted fabric naturally curls on itself. To avoid this phenomenon, many patterns will have a garter stitch edging (on the right side you will have a knit row, then a purl row, then a knit row). This is easy to do on a scarf, it just means knitting every row. If you have a scarf with a cable design in the center, you could have a 3 stitch or 5 stitch border, followed by purling to help the knitted cable stand out.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 555
salmonmac wrote
on May 22, 2013 4:33 AM

Stocknette stitch does curl but if you use garter or seed stitch you'll have a nice flat knit piece. Even a good sized border as suggested above, will keep stockinette flatter (and a little blocking helps too). I love the advice from Techknitting in general and there's a series on this very problem.

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2010/12/curling-scarf-rescue-mission-part-3.html

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS