Lopi yarn

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 12, 2013 4:36 PM

I just bought some lopi yarn, and when I tried to cast on with it, it broke three times before I got to 30 stitches. The woman at my yarn store took it back but seemed to think I was doing something wrong. I have been knitting for over 20 years, and have knit with various fibers, including alpaca and qiviut, and have never had this happen before. I really liked the wool, so I would be grateful for any insight into what I may have done wrong, the lady at the wool shop just said I must have pulled too hard.

thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 659
salmonmac wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 6:33 AM

If it was a single ply or roving type yarn, it's fairly easy to break it especially at the cast on.It's very loosely spun yarn.  Just go gently when casting on and try to maintain what twist there is in the yarn. I've found that once you get past the cast on, the yarn isn't a problem unless you're a very tight knitter.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 19, 2013 7:44 AM

Thanks, it is a two ply yarn, but it's not very twisted together, I will try again, perhaps trying to twist it together a bit more as I go. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I was getting a bit discouraged, and I don't know anyone who has tried this particular yarn before, so I had no one to ask about it. Thanks again

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS