Help to teach please?

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
nursebtanner wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 5:36 PM

Hi I am Brandy and am new to the forum and was wondering if y'all might be able to help me, I want to teach some people how to knit, but I don't know where to start. I am not a new knitter I have been knitting on and off for years. Anywhere to start or what to teach or if someone out there teaches and knows what to do? Any advice and direction is greatly appreciated. Oh I do hope I posted this in the right place also. Thanks ahead of time.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dwebster wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 8:30 PM

I have taught all my children to knit. I made sure the wool and needles were contrasting colours so it is easier to see and better yet, use a different colour for each needle. I would cast on the stitches for them and then concentrate on on teaching the knit stitch first.  I'd leave the cast stitch for later.  There is cute poem that helps new learners remember the sequence of steps  -  Under the Fence.  Catch the Sheep.  Back we come.  Off we leap.  Danette 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
nursebtanner wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 8:40 PM

Thanks that is a cute poem and I can't wait to get started. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Judys Pearls wrote
on Jan 16, 2013 9:15 AM

Brandy,  Just wondering how your classes are going....I am also interested in teaching...and I loved the poem someone submitted to you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 640
salmonmac wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 6:27 AM

I'd also add that it's easier to see stitches with light colred yarn. Larger needles, say size 8 and worsted weight yarn work well too. Good luck with the classes which sound like fun.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS