!RACER BACK TOP (proposed non-official kal) Lisa Hoffman

This post has 105 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 11:55 PM

Hi you two! 

How are you doing?  It has been a trying week, but having it in the past is a blessing one could say.  I was happy to pick up my knitting for a bit.  I am guessing I have only 3 3/4 " nearly 4 but at least it's a start.  I really like these stitches.  I am feeling the rhythm now I guess you could say. 

How are your hands Merlich?  I know you stay busy so much of the time and hope you are feeling much better.  If your voice isn't back totally then a little more rest for you! 

Sharon did you stay in this week?  I know you were hoping for a little relaxation.  So how did your week go?  Lots of xoxoxox's to you both!

I'm watching Downton Abbey, Season 3 - Part 7 as I knit a little more this evening.  Star

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 9:27 AM

good morning!

very cold and windy here today. a good day to stay inside, make some stew and knit! i know what you mean about getting into the rhythm zass. it is a fun patter and looks so pretty. how is it coming along in the round? takes a long time to complete a round, but then you dont have to start the other side!

i had a housefull of kids this weekend. young adults i should say, because they are all late 20's-early 30's. son and gf and 2 of her friends came from virginia. the girls had a baby shower to go to. on top of that i had other son and his gf in and out, along with friends of theirs that still live in the area. so busy, but fun. i slept so well last night when they all went home! i'll be doing laundry today - sheets and towels. nice that they are all growing up, because they were really neat. no extra cleaning. has to be all the gf's around! haha!

i have started watching a series called cities of the underground. do either of you get that? all about ancient underground tunnels, cities, etc that they discover. really interesting.

enjoy your day and happy knitting!

xox, sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 10:22 PM

Hi Sharon,

Wow, I was picturing your taking it easy this last week end but when I read your post I see it was the exact opposite around your house!  Wink  I am reading somewhere how those socks are nearly done.  So are you started yet?  I like doing the round, gets it done all at once.  Are you doing it flat? 

I haven't seen the series you mention, but it sound interesting.  What channel do you see it on?  The stew sounds good about now.  Tomorrow more rain here after having very nice 77-80's for a little while.  Up then down, then back up again.  Confused

Hope you are having a good night and rest well.  Let me know how it goes.  xoxoxox

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 8:23 AM

good morning,

yes i did start, i am doing it flat and dropped down to a sz 2. i did my swatch and thought i measured correctly, and started. after about an inch or so, i measured again because it looked awfully wide. and it was! ripped it out, reswatched and decided to drop down. now i am a little ahead of you, maybe 6" done? loving the pattern and loving the yarn i chose. just think ladies, it will be finished in time for the nice weather. here anyway. zass you already have nice weather. merlich, how is the weather at your house?

and yes, the lacey knee socks are almost done. i did nothing yesterday - well i did make my bed and did 3 loads of laundry. but other than that, i sat on my butt and knitted with 2 doggies in my lap and watched one show after the next about the first presidents. very interesting. i rationalized that i was recovering from a weekend of kids around. and that is the truth! haha! so i was knitting on the socks and got them both to decrease for the toes. i cannot tell you how happy i am. this project was way more detailed than i had expected. i will have son's gf try one on again for length of foot, then finish the toes and done. hoping this weekend. AND, i will take a pic - or several pics. and post them! son and gf will be with me this weekend, and they can surely do that with their eyes closed! maybe teach me also???

have a nice day and chat soon,

xox

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 3:40 PM

Hello Everyone!

It’s raining now and has been so it’s a nice day to stay in and be cozy with my knitting. I’m on a sz 2 also but I did the first 12 rows on a 5 and then dropped down to the 2. I want to make sure it’ll be loose, loose, loose at the bottom edge. So Glad you love your yarn. Isn’t that just great? I know Merlich loves her yarn already. Your right it will be perfect for warmer weather season and even maybe into early fall if you wear a thin loose fitting lace over it with a long sleeve. Here it’s layer, layer, layer. Either under or over we figure out how to make a lightweight jacket work, roll up sleeves or use long sleeves over something sleeveless , etc. ,then maybe a sweater in between. You get the pic - just being silly right now.

I can’t believe I am so excited to see the lacey socks - wow and you really worked hard on these - surely you better save some pics of them and maybe even “frame“ that picture. Not kidding, it would be so cute in a sewing room.

I would have been just as laid back as you were - resting from all the fun. Fun takes energy! Haha.

Merlich, my dear how are you feeling today? My thoughts are always with you and regarding you with love. If you are well enough I know we’ll hear from you! How’s that cute little pup - my goodness I just love his little face - such a little character!. I always chuckle when I picture him following you all over the house. And Sharon’s two, the little Henry & Rita along with my little one would have such fun together. What a combination they would make!

So hope you are all having a very good day. xoxoxox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 11:59 PM

Hi ladies,

Sorry I didn't post before. Thank you very much for thinking of me. I also think of you. Lately, time runs that fast. I can't do all the things I have to. Maybe it is because I fell ill again. I am not with laryngitis anylonger, but now I am with flu. Oh, my God! It is exhausting! Unfortunately, I cannot rest until Thursday afternoon. Enough about complain!!

I've been working a little on the top. I love the pattern. It is like you say: it has rhytm!  I don't feel the rows that long because I put markers every repetiton of the stitch pattern. So, I am entertained counting twelve, twelve, ... , and so on. I am the last of the three. I just have 3" tall. I'll try to reach you this weekend. After I've read you had to rip out yours, I am a little affraid. I haven't measured what I have. I want it to be alittle taller so I can be confident about the measurement. Cotton is a little tricky and some times had made me work too much. I hope this time I have luck and it behaves the same as the swatch. Smile

Zass, thank you for the compliments you always say about my little dog! Yes, he is always following me. Sometimes, I accidentally step on him because I am in a hurry and can't see him. He is a good dog, he does nothing when that happens!

Here, the weather has been very sunny and very hot. Today, in the evening it was windy. The temperature remained comfortable.

I wish you a very nice day tomorrow. And a lot of time for knitting!!!  Star Star Star

Send you lots of  XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Hi ZassZ and Sharon,

How are you? I hope you are doing well and resting from the weekend. I took my needles and didn't stop knitting. Now my top is 7" tall in the round. Its looks so beautiful. I thought it would take longer to be done. The stitch pattern is so friendly that you don't need to carry it everywhere.

How is the weather like where you live? Here, it has been very hot. It looks like we were in summer instead of late winter. Everybody in the street is wearing very light clothes and complaining about the temperature.

I hope you are enjoying your knitting too.

Send you lots of XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Feb 26, 2013 10:04 AM

hi merlich and zass,

today is chilly with some sun shining - going to be in the mid 40's. even though it is still chilly, there is a feel of spring in the air. the sun is shining differently, the birds are starting to sing in the morning, the crocuses are starting to pop up. love this time of year, especially the birds singing. when my babies were little and i needed sleep, the birds used to annoy me. now they are all grown up, i love the early morning!

good for you merlich - you must be feeling much better! i also like this pattern, its fun. i worked the back to where i think its long enough, then started on the front. i'm doing it this way because i think i may want to make it a little longer. i also want to make the neck a little deeper scoop neck. i did notice an error in the pattern when i was knitting this mornig. nothing serious. the first row of chart 3 has the + edge stitch, then knit 6, then the S2KP. by my calculations, i ended with row 16 (purl). but row 15 was + edge stitche, then ssk, then k 4, which would translate to + edge stitche and k 5 on 1st row of chart 3, not k6. hope i am making sense here!

i put my socks aside for a bit, since i needed son and his gf to try them on for me before i did the toes. so, i was busily knitting away also. they did stop by this morning on their way to work and now i can finish the socks!

enjoy your day and happy knitting!

xoxo, sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 9:24 PM

Good Evening, Sharon

Guess we're all using size 2's so far.  I'm approx 6.5 " into it.  I decided to repeat the border a few times (1st 12 rows of Chart #1).  I want the bottom to have a deeper drape, if that's makes any sense. 

Yeah the weather here is fine.  Been warming up and into the 80's now.  Had a little bit of gusty wind from the Santa Ana's but that is what is keeping the colder air to the north of us from Alaska & Canada at bay.  So the cold air is flowing past and eastward.  Sorry about that.  But we did have a small earthquake if that makes anyone feel a bit better (there seems to always be some seizmic activity around here at any time you can count on that happening). 

So I guess we can say we are enjoying this pattern. Music  I Love It! 

So looking forward to your stockings Sharon.  Looks like you'll soon have a knitting buddy close by too!  Take care now, I see you two in the lys getting into lots of yarn.  Good night xoxoxox 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 9:31 PM

Hi Merlich,

Sooooo happy you have felt like doing some knitting.  That is very inspiring, 7" tall!  Wonderful !

So your weather is warm as well, that's a reminder that it's all coming over to Sharon's house real soon.  I was just telling Sharon, I really do love this pattern.  Smile 

So I going back to do a few more rounds before I get sleepy.  Tally ho you dear girls.  Enjoy your weather and rest well!  xoxoxox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 28, 2013 6:13 PM

Hi Sharon and ZassZ,

Thanks both of you for concerning about me!!  Right Hug   How are you? I hope you are doing well!! Big Smile I am almost out of the flu. Just my voice is already throaty, but I hope it will be again as usual soon. Here the weather keeps hot (82°F) and sunny, cloudy in the evenings with little winds which help to refresh a little. The birds are everywhere singing and visiting everybody in their windows. Despite it feels very hot, everybody in the street looks like enjoying it now.

Thank you Sharon for warning us about a mistake in chart 3. I'll be pending as soon as I get there. Now, I am 10" high. I will divide my work in two circulars to measure it again as I am looking it like wider. Maybe it is the stitch pattern. If it is that, I'll have to rip all that part and go down to needles size 2. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I keep on enjoying this project. It looks so feminine. Like Sharon, I also would like to do the neckline lower.

Wish you have a good evening!!

Enjoy your knitting!!!   Music

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 7:53 PM

Hi Everyone, 

Now what about this chart 3 info?  Sharon, did you work it out?  If so, please let me know what to do when I get to it?  It turned real warm and if it's any indication of much summer time wear we'll be getting out of our Racer Backs - then I am sure glad we chose to do it. 

So we're making progress, yeah.  Take care all.  Cool

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 3, 2013 10:53 AM

good morning zass and merlich,

so happy to hear you are both making progress! knitting along! and yes it looks so feminine, just in time for spring. which can't come soon enough here. today it is 40 and brisk out, sun was out earlier which helped, but now its getting gloomy.

i didn't knit at all for a few days. hubby and i went to fort lauderdale from wed am -sat pm. for some sun and warmth. well, we picked the worst week of the winter to go, it was so cold and chilly and cloudy. we made the best of it and walked around and rented bikes. yesterday we drove to south beach, a part of miami beach - i think? it was fun to walk around and people watch and see all the art deco hotels that the area is known for. very interesting. we had a late lunch at an outdoor restaurant and the sun came out for about an hour. it felt so nice!

and the best news? my oldest son is now engaged! so exciting and happy for them.

back to knitting - zass i like the idea of making the edging a little longer. i'm sure it will be very pretty. wish i had thought of that!

merlich i think the lower scoop neck will be pretty. when we get that far we can play around with it and figure it out!

zass, check a couple of posts further back - i explained the error i found. nothing big, just one stitch of in their count, which would mess up the pattern!

happy knitting and chat later! patiently waiting for your sun and warmth to arrive! xox

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,767
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 8:09 PM

Hi Merlich and Sharon,

I'll write my congratulations to your family for sure!  Sooooo happpy for you Music another wedding!  Wow that makes three including Mary's daughter. 

Well you got a little relaxation and more important you and hubby spend time together.  You always make the best of it, Sharon.  It is fun to window shop and just get fresh air and exercise and nice food.  Probably the drive or flight was fun and just to get you both out and change of scenery. 

Ok so I had the idea to make the border deeper,  NOT a good idea - I wouldn't suggest doing it the way I did.  I was knitting that part correctly, but it didn't look good.  Then I got to looking at all the purls and because I am reversing the stitch pattern I started to wonder what I was doing due to the fact that I couldn't see the actual stitches very well in the mag pic.  So until I got your pics, I wasn't sure. Anyway, I did rip all 7 " out and have begun again.  It was hard to do but I had to do it.  Sad  My own fault, so I learned something and now I know what I should not do.  In my previous knitting in the round patterns, I usually knit the WS rows from left to right because they are a continuation from the last stitch on the RS row.  But I was getting tired and then I started to ask myself which direction had I been knitting in from for the WS rows.  You can see, I must have had a serous lapse in memory or somethng.  Terrible.  Well now I have started over and at the first sign of tiredness, I will stop.   

I'm sorry the sun and warmth didn't arrive yet, and now our weather is menu is back to cool, rain, snow in some mountain higher elevation areas.  But we did have a beautiful last week and I was hoping you'd get some of that.  It'll be there soon!  Cool  

But we also had reports of e.q. activity in lower parts of CA. and in the ocean, out a few miles from shore.  Have a great evening.  xoxox 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 10:16 PM

Hi Sharon,

I am very happy for you and your family! Weddings are so beautiful!  I can imagine your son and your daughter in law are very very happy!  I send them my best wishes!!!  Drinks

About your trip. It has happened to us too. The whole week raining, and when we are leaving back home: the sun shining, haha!!  Fortunately, you could enjoy those days anyway, in a very smart way. I am happy for you!!  Wink  I love you are a beautiful couple: together and enjoying each other.

I've made something wrong with my knitting. I am trying to figure out what it is. I'll review stitch by stitch until I find the mistake.

I send you my best wishes!

Enjoy your knitting!!

Merlich

Page 3 of 8 (106 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS