!RACER BACK TOP (proposed non-official kal) Lisa Hoffman

This post has 105 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 12, 2013 10:24 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Congratulations! I didn't know your son is about to get married too! You must be very happy!!

It makes me happy you will have a very relaxing afternoon. Now, we are an hour far away. Just until april 7th. when we will be in the daylight saving time, like you did last Sunday.

I am answering some more posts and go back to our kal. I expect I can finish with the rip thing quickly to continue with regular knitting.  Smile

Enjoy your dinner!!

XOXOXO!!!  Right Hug

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 13, 2013 7:52 AM

good morning ladies,

feeling much better this morning, thanks. i seem to be improving, which i am happy about. just took the dogs for a little walk. we all needed fresh air. they are so cute, you can tell spring is in the air!

ok, i have to report back about you both knitting in the round. you will have to be careful with the armhole decreases. i dont think it will be a problem though - because at that point you will split onto 2 different needles and work front and back separately. i have both sides done past the armhole now. stopped the back to catch up with the front.

i tried changing the neckline and did not like it, so i went back to her original directions. i think i will just make the shoulders a little longer so it will drop a little more in the front.

BUT....i tried the front up to me and panicked - till i looked at the pics again. it felt like it was going to be too tight across the bust area. the pics show it slopes sharply up the front and cuts in at the back. this gives the racer back look and  i think this will give us some ease. i remembered looking at that part on 360vogue and thinking it was very interesting. so, patience, think it through and dont panic!

i am a little worried about the front straps curling under. i had a problem with another kal - zass remember the tuxedo front tank? i'm going to block mine when i am done and see if they lay flat. if not i may crochet a little edging all around just to give a finishes look. if that doesn't work i will line them with fabric or ribbon to give some sturdiness. any other ideas?

today is going to be sunny and warm, before the cold moves back in!

happy knitting! xox

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 13, 2013 3:47 PM

Good Afternoon, 

Well we walked miles this morning!  Now I am in after  lunch and feet up with my knitting at my side here.  While knitting yesterday, I watched Charade with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, music by Henry Mancini.  Loved her coats and hats in this film.  She changed coats constantly!  and hats to go!  It was good suspense and since I hadn't seen it in so long, it was like watching it for the first time.  Now time to knit on my Racer Back Top - whoopee!  So we'll talk later and

Sharon, so glad you are getting better today.  Take it easy so you continue to go forward.  Birds are really happy aren't they?  Music  Today I went past a beautiful sweet smelling orange tree with full blooms and so sweet smelling, lots of ripe oranges hanging ready for picking too. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 13, 2013 9:08 PM

Hi Sharon,

It is good to know you are feeling better. I am very glad for you. Star

I've read the pattern once again and it looks good if we keep on knitting in the round until we get to the underarm. The decreases are already set in chart 3, after that is the time when we will change to back and forth. I agree with you about the neckline. The girl from the picture looks taller than the girl from the video. I think it is ok if we follow the instructions. I have a tank that has the neckline exactly the high I like. I'll overlap the Racer to see if I like it. The highest part of the back is lower, 2" lower than a regular top. I suppose that pulls back the front and makes it have that ease we can see in the pic and in the video. It happens to be already a surprise what will happen. Let's cross our fingers to have as a result a beautiful top.

Do you have those marking pins for knitting? You can fasten the sides with them and try on what you already have and see if it suits you the way you expect. In case you don't like it you can fix it before sewing the sides. That's what I've been doing with the help of my hub. He holds the top and I see in the mirror.  Wink

Enjoy your weather! Today, it has been cloudy and windy, and a little cold too!  Hmm

Enjoy your knitting and get well!!  Wink

Merlich

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 8:48 AM

hi merlich - every time i see the cute face of your little doggie i just smile! you are right about the decreases being in chart 3. so you dont have to split onto separate needles until the armholes.

hi zass -  hope you aren't too tired today from all that walking yesterday! sounds like it was a fun day though.

we  can stop worrying about extra ease also - it comes from the ribbing in the back. i have mine up high enough that i am ready to sew the sides together and figure out how i want the neckline to go. my shoulder straps in the front are plain stockinette. the way my stitches fell, i ran out of pattern. i didnt like it at first, but now i do. just another texture in the layering of textures up the front. i do not like the way the edges look with the bind offs, so i wlll crochet a simple edge. it looks like the front straps will go over the shoulder and attach down the back? i have to examine 360 again and see. i am still worried the straps will curl in. i may have to rip back and do an edging, maybe a little seed stitch. i will keep you both posted.

windy and cold here today. oh well.......xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 12:24 AM

Hi Sharon,

How are you today? I hope you are much better!!!  Music

I think your straps look good, like the stockinette stitch at both sides of chart 3. They won't look different. I think they will look harmonized.  Big Smile

Yes, the straps go over the shoulders and are attached to the rib of the back, which is supposed to be 2" lower of the shoulders line. (I hope I said it ok).

You make me worry about the curling. I have another tank with the same problem. I crocheted sc all around the armholes and the neckline and it still curls. It doesn't look good. I wouldn't like to happen that again.  Sad

Thank you for warning us about your findings.  Smile

Today, it was cloudy, some drops of rain here and there, and cold. Tomorrow, it is expected the same but rainy.

Wish you have a beautiful day!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 9:25 AM

hi merlich and thanks! yes i do feel much better today. now if it would only warm up out there!

last night i ripped out my straps and redid them with 3 seed stitch on either side. it seems to lay flat, but i will block today and know for sure. i was not happy with the edges curling. i also have another top that curls and i do not wear it!

you said everything perfectly. i am impressed that you are fluent in both languages. i wish i could speak another language. maybe some day!

tonight my son and his fiancee come to visit for the weekend. looking forward to it!

hi zass! hope all is well with you?

xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 15, 2013 10:46 PM

Hi Ladies,

How are you today? I hope you are very very well!!  Today, as the forecasters predicted, it has been a cold and rainy day. Time for knitting and listening to good music. (If I didn't have to do my everyday housework, of course!  Crying). After finishing with all the stuff I must do, I am here, with you!!  Big Smile 

I am, actually, knitting the chart 3 for the front and the ribbing for the back, at the same time, in the round. It looks pretty good.  Yes  I hope when I finish that part, when it is supposed piece should measure 14 1/2" from the beginning, and try it on, it already looks good. Otherwise, you know what will happen: rip out!  Tongue Tied

ZassZ,

How you been doing? I hope you've had some time to rest after that long walk. Although, it makes you good. It is a lot of exercise, and for free!!  Wink

Did you have any chance to knit yesterday? How long is your knitting now? I hope you are happy and very well!!

Sharon,

I hope you are completely well by now, waiting for your son and his fiancée. I wish you have a wonderful weekend enjoying yourselves.  Star Star Star  Thank you for your compliments!

I wish you have a very nice weekend!!

Enjoy your knitting!!

Take care!!   XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 10:01 AM

good morning merlich!

you are knitting right along now, to the ribbing part. when you get to where you need to measure, i had to block mine first. it was scrunched up a bit and not hanging right. once i blocked it, it stretched and was as long as it was supposed to be. at least with my yarn. yours might be different.

good morning zass!

hope you are making progress also? i'm so sorry you had to rip yours back, but you will like it better now.

i re-knit my shoulder straps with the seed stitch on each side and like them much better. i was afraid it would be too plain, but it just looks like another texture. and there they sit. i wanted to block them this weekend, but had no time. son and fiancee came. her ring is so pretty. a round stone with square halo of tiny diamonds. looks so pretty on her hand and she loves it. they are starting to come up with ideas. all so much fun.

chilly here today, cloudy and supposed to rain/snow here tonight into tomorrow. i am not happy. i am ready for spring! and when i say spring, i mean sunshine and warmth!

have a good day! xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 6:00 PM

Hi Ladies,

How was your weekend?

ZassZ,

How you been doing? I've read you had to rip out your knitting again. I'm so sorry. It happens to be not a good idea to knit in the round this pattern. Until now, I've not had any trouble about it, but my distractions which had made me to rip out some rows, nothing else. Did you have to start all over again? What happened wrong? I thought you were already in the good way. Send you my best wishes and be patient!!  Right Hug

Sharon,

I am happy everything went ok during your weekend. What a wonderful ring you describe. I am sure I would like it too!!  Star Star Star

I am in the ribbing part of the garment. It is looking crumpled, very crumpled and is becoming very heavy too. I knitted a cardigan 100% cotton, can't remember how long ago, it's stretched too much,. Now, it doesn't suit me anymore. I am fearing it will happen again with this yarn. I am so sad. I don't want to anticipate before it happens, but that is what it looks like.  Sad

The weather during the weekend was cold and a little rain. Today, the temperature is warm and enjoyable.

Enjoy your knitting!!

XOXOXO!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 8:03 PM

Hi Sharon and Merlich, 

How are you both doing? I hope your cold is gone Sharon. 

Merlich, I didn't rip again.  I think it was Sharon just commenting on the first rip I did.  Thankfully I am going along fine although it's not very far along.  I am trying to take it with me when I have a little free time, but it has been a busy month so far.  My stitches are looking fine so far and I like knitting it in the round.  Also hopefully it will be fine once you block like Sharon did hers.    

I guess we'll keep learning as we go along Surprise  Don't give up! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Thanks for encouraging me!!  Left Hug

I feel so relieved. I really thought you had to rip out all over again. I am glad to read you are going well with the kal.  Big Smile Yes

I am also happy you are feeling good with your progress and the fact of knitting in the round. It was a good idea at first sight. Well, it is already a good idea, but my knitting has, suddenly, crumpled. Maybe, I will have to do a template to block it and see if it stays still, hahaha!!!   Big Smile

No, I am not giving up! It is just that some things happen to be out of control, but I'll be patient and wait until everything is done. Besides, I haven't reached the part where we have to work back and forth yet. I am just panicked!!

I couldn't knit as much as I would like to on our kal on the weekend. My youngest son, who had always refused to wear anything handknitted, asked me to knit for him a black hat as fast as I could. I am almost done, just half the crown is missing. I hope I can finish it tonight.

Enjoy your knitting!!

XOXOXO!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 20, 2013 6:49 AM

hello ladies,

merlich  OF COURSE you had to knit the black hat for your son! when they ask, we do. except my son who teases me all the time. he knows i love to knit baby things, and when he sees me, he asks where his sweater is. problem is, he's a big guy - 6'4". i tell him i will gladly buy him a sweater, but so sorry, my sweater knitting days for him are over. i do make him a hat every winter though!

i understand how you feel about that ribbing. in has been bothering me also. i dont think i like it. i have not done anything on mine for a couple of days. woke up this morning and decided its the ribbing. i'm thinking i may rip it out and instead of the racer back, i may just continue in the pattern and make a "normal" back. not sure yet as the thought just popped into my head. i have to think about this for a bit and see if i can make it work.

zass how are you coming along with yours? is the knitting in the round working for you? how far along are you now? let us know what you think about the ribbing!

enjoy your day! sunny here today, which is nice. but chilly, which is not so! haha!

xox

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 20, 2013 10:17 PM

Hi Ladies,

I couldn't finish the hat last night, I was very tired, but I am close to.

Sharon,

I understand both of you: you and your son. My hub is the same size of your son. I've been trying to knit for him a new pullover, but every time I measure him, he is always different size. I've given up knitting and ripping out constantly the same poor yarn. Now, he complaints about his unfinished sweater, hahaha!!  I also love to knit for babies. When I feel like knitting but not for anyone in particular, I knit a baby garment and keep it until I am invited to a baby shower or similar.

About the Racer. I am not uncomfortable about the ribbing in the middle of the back. I don't think it looks bad, I like it. The issue that bothers me is the crumple thing on the stitch pattern from charts 2 & 3. Cotton is not a friendly fiber like wool, acrylic and some others. After blocking it, I will be able to say if I chose the wrong fiber for this project or not. Let's cross our firgers!! Smile And, what about you? Finally, what was your decision? Will you keep on with the racer back, or will you keep on with chart 3 instead? Anyone you choose, the stitch patterns look pretty. The real thing is that you feel good with it.  Big Smile

ZassZ,

How are you? I hope you are very well and enjoying any chance you have for knitting, whatever you are knitting: our kal or anything else. How is the weather like where you live? Are you already get used to the new time zone? The first two weeks are difficult for most people until they get used to. Send you my best wishes! Wink

Today, the weather was very hot in the morning until 5:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. for ZassZ and, 7:00 p.m. for Sharon). Later, it was windy and the temperature dropped from 80 to 63.

Enjoy your knitting!!

XOXOXO!!!

Merlich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 7:07 AM

your weather sounds so nice to me merlich! at this point i would be happy with 63 during the day here! today it is damp and cold again with more snow expected. boo. but the good news is it is my daughter's 23 bday. how did that happen? seems like she was a baby yesterday. ahh well. time flies and as they say, it is all good.

merlich i can calm you about the crumple part. i was also very nervous about that section. that's why i took the time to block it before i continued. came out beautifully once i blocked it, and also made the piece longer - so beware. dont do you finaly measure before you either block it or stretch it out. it will grow length wise and the crumple will smooth out.

i have not decided anything about the back. i think i am overthinking this! today i plan to pin the straps together and then try it on and see what i think. too many ideas running through my head and making me confused! i am also thinking i may knit a picot edge around the neck and armholes. we shall see. as i said, too many ideas running through me head!

zass how are your flowers? they must be starting to bud by now? things are starting to get a hint of green, if you use your imagination. in another few weeks maybe we will have some leaves starting to pop on the trees. i heard on the news that last year this time we already had several days of 60 weather. none yet this year. but 60 is a bit warm for march for us.

hope you both have a nice day! cuddles to your doggies. xox

Page 5 of 8 (106 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS